1 hour ago, Texasota said:

Do you actually like the color of dyed water?

I don't. I'd much rather have the bayou be its actual color than an unnatural-looking blue. 

Easy on the copium hits dude. 

The water looks objectively disgusting, like toilet water after a late night taco bell run disgusting. Every time I take someone to the bayou downtown they comment on the color of the water.

I grew up in San Antonio and no one would ever go to the river walk if it was this color. There's no reason the bayou can't copy the success of the river walk, but the color of the water is a major factor holding it back. 

I'm not sure if permanently dying the water is even possible. If it is, however, that's clearly the way to go. 

Edited by Valhalla
  • Haha 1

On 9/15/2022 at 1:38 PM, Amlaham said:

This is only for perspective. Also, I experienced each of these cities and my perspective is similar to these images

San Antonio 

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 12.58.34 PM Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 1.15.10 PM

Philadelphia (recently named top 10 river walks in the country)

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 1.10.27 PM

NYC

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 1.11.48 PM

London

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 1.02.20 PM

Amsterdam

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 1.00.42 PM Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 1.00.55 PM

The point of my post isn't to bash any of these beautiful cities. My point is that, the color of the bayou literally does not matter. People don't avoid boardwalks/ river walks just because of the water color, its all about the atmosphere. We have such a negative attitude towards our bayous with things we legit cannot change. Instead we should be focusing on making it more interactive instead of focusing on something that does not matter and will not change. I believe developments like this have done a great job being denser and closer to the bayou. Other excuses that legit don't matter 

• "but flooding," Amsterdam has had a history with flooding for hundreds of years, but they practically fixed this issue with proper flood control.
  • "but mosquitoes," the San Antonio river walk has bad mosquitos... Also, there is an area in Milan called Navigli, which is basically a canal with hundreds of restaurants and cafes, its extremely crowded with people....and guess what, the mosquito problem there is soo bad. Its actually so bad that there are vendors that sell mosquito spray throughout the strip, some restaurants even had it for their costumers, but that didn't stop anyone :)

We can only blame poor city planning 

28 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Easy on the copium hits dude. 

The water looks objectively disgusting, like toilet water after a late night taco bell run disgusting. Every time I take someone to the bayou downtown they comment on the color of the water.

I grew up in San Antonio and no one would ever go to the river walk if it was this color. There's no reason the bayou can't copy the success of the river walk, but the color of the water is a major factor holding it back. 

I'm not sure if permanently dying the water is even possible. If it is, however, that's clearly the way to go. 

Ah yes, the tropical blue waters of the San Antonio river 😂

Dude, seriously the water color is very common in big cities around the world (as shown in my above post). I always find it funny when people think the color of the bayou is absurd. It's like an instant tell that that person hasn't traveled much. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

This isn't the first time someone's asked about the bayou color, it's not even first in this thread. 

Spoiler

Does the River Walk have clear pristine water? Not usually. The River Walk is drained and cleaned bi-annually. For Houston to have something like SA's River Walk we'd need to dig a new channel that offshoots from the Bayou. There it could be funneled, filtered, and dyed. Then it could flow back to the Bayou and out to the Gulf.

Spoiler

800px-Casa_Rio_in_San_Antonio.jpg

800px-San_Antonio_Riverwalk_(2013)_IMG_7

1200x0.jpg

Edited by 79ta
  • Thanks 2

On 7/8/2023 at 10:50 AM, BEES?! said:

Beautiful venue!

And at the end of the day re:bayou coloring, there’s really only so much that can be done, and frankly the awesome habitat it provides for all sorts of cool, diverse animals and plants is way more important to me IMO. I mean, you can see gators, huge gar, and alligator snapping turtles right next to downtown! How many cities get to say that? It’s not a place for humans to swim, but that’s okay, there’s many other ways to enjoy the bayou.

Before development the bayou was clearer, not crystal clear mind you. Human development is what has turned it an opaque brown. 

14 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

Before development the bayou was clearer, not crystal clear mind you. Human development is what has turned it an opaque brown. 

there is no way for you to prove that, and I would challenge anyone that told you that to provide some proof that doesn't include some oral historical passing down from generation to generation, and specifically doesn't include information that originated from people who would stand to profit from selling land on the bayou. 

the reality is, the water's color is very natural. vegetation, organic matter, runoff, fine silts that never settle on the bottom, these are the major things that make the bayou look like it does.

the only bayous that I've seen that look clear are the ones that are channelized and straightened into huge concrete drainage ditches, there's a long stretch of Brays bayou that you can see things in the water, but that's because it's been traveling through 30 miles of concrete channel. head on over to Scott Street and take a look, I suppose if we really wanted Buffalo bayou to look clear and 'pristine', we might want to call in the Army Corps of Engineers to come do a concrete lining on the bayou.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, samagon said:

there is no way for you to prove that, and I would challenge anyone that told you that to provide some proof that doesn't include some oral historical passing down from generation to generation, and specifically doesn't include information that originated from people who would stand to profit from selling land on the bayou. 

the reality is, the water's color is very natural. vegetation, organic matter, runoff, fine silts that never settle on the bottom, these are the major things that make the bayou look like it does.

the only bayous that I've seen that look clear are the ones that are channelized and straightened into huge concrete drainage ditches, there's a long stretch of Brays bayou that you can see things in the water, but that's because it's been traveling through 30 miles of concrete channel. head on over to Scott Street and take a look, I suppose if we really wanted Buffalo bayou to look clear and 'pristine', we might want to call in the Army Corps of Engineers to come do a concrete lining on the bayou.

Sims bayou looks pretty nice 

4 hours ago, emmanume said:

Sims bayou looks pretty nice 

while Sims wasn't lined with concrete, it was straightened and channelized the same way as White Oak and Brays.

if you have google earth pro you can go to view and see the original channel of Sims which has been continuously straightened even as recently as the late 90s, and into the 2000s.

of all the bayous, Buffalo is probably the closest to the original configuration with sweeps and turns and no straight bits, except for the places where it had been straightened already.

I went to the ribbon cutting of a trail near Glenbrook Park on Sims Bayou sometime last year. One of the local residents was complaining to the politicians. He was asking how come they don’t line up their bayous with concrete how they’ve done in the “rich parts of town”. Meanwhile, the Heights is working on removing the concrete from WOB https://www.hcfcd.org/Activity/Active-Projects/White-Oak-Bayou/Lower-White-Oak-Bayou-Channel-Restoration-Study

• Like 3

11 hours ago, samagon said:

Go look at more rural water ways in the region. Armand Bayou, Buffalo Camp Bayou, they aren’t clear but would definitely be a representation of what Buffalo Bayou would look like. 

Also, I just made a comment about water clarity in the bayou… no need to feel like I personally attacked you .

12 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

Go look at more rural water ways in the region. Armand Bayou, Buffalo Camp Bayou, they aren’t clear but would definitely be a representation of what Buffalo Bayou would look like. 

Also, I just made a comment about water clarity in the bayou… no need to feel like I personally attacked you .

and how much water do those bayous move compared to Buffalo bayou?

sorry if I'm terse, it's a fairly absurd topic. the color of Buffalo bayou is quite natural, to suggest otherwise is to perpetuate anecdotes that have no way of being proven, so why shouldn't I ask for factual proof?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, samagon said:

and how much water do those bayous move compared to Buffalo bayou?

They all vary from hour to hour. 

Today's peaks so far:

• Like 2

On 7/8/2023 at 10:56 AM, Naviguessor said:

Coloring the bayou would make us a punch line of every late night comic and a laughing stock for years to come.

If we dyed it blue, sure.

But if it were dyed different colors for different holidays, that would be less subject to ridicule.

You could make a half-day festival out of sequentially dumping in different colors during pride weekend.

The problem, though, is that the bayou's rate of flow is erratic.  The rate of flow of the Chicago River is almost always  precisely controlled, and generally runs pretty slowly compared with Buffalo Bayou.  I once had an apartment looking down on the main branch of the Chicago River, and can tell you the green color lasts about a week with its slow flow. 

Looks like it will be a new building and not one already built.

hindesky

"Port Houston’s current administrative building, located at the Turning Basin Terminal is expected to be demolished to accommodate cargo operations at City Docks near the intersection of the Highway 225 and the 610 Loop in east Houston.

The new 95,000-SF Port headquarters building will be constructed on 1.6 acres of land the Port Houston has purchased in East River’s first phase.  A 300-space parking garage and a skybridge connecting the two structures will be built.

Construction is expected to begin in spring 2024, with completion slated for summer 2025."

https://realtynewsreport.com/port-authority-constructing-hq-in-east-river/

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Naviguessor said:

Reading some headlines that Port of Houston will be building their building with East River.  This is very good and interesting news.   I feel that ER needs some good news in their tenant list.     

News release:
https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:501ac5c9-f443-3052-99be-b20cb6c341cb&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

This will be a new building (95,000 sf) and parking garage (300 spaces) with construction starting in the Spring of 2024.

Edited by texan
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Caribomoa said:

East River is becoming a maritime hub I see. Port of Houston operations center. Young & Towing co hq. Houston maritime center. Who’s next?

My office is right across the street, though I admit I am not as cool as PHA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brooklyn173 said:

Not to get too off topic, but what is it with the term "sky bridge". I notice it a lot more in Texas. Unless you're trying to differentiate from an underground bridge, aren't all bridges in the sky?

Sky bridges are specifically bridges between buildings, generally carrying pedestrians. They are "sky" bridges because they technically never touch the ground.

• Like 2