The Plot of land at the corner of Clinton and Jensen certainly is large enough, and being reserved for, a decent sized grocery store and parking structure, similar to several HEB's in the area.  Certainly you're correct, Samagon, the other retail spaces of Phase 1 are not designed, or appropriate, for a GS, even one the size of a TJ's.  The parking set up is wrong. Shopping carts wouldn't work there.    

• Like 3

17 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

The city needs to do a massive clean up on the trails heading in to this side of town. The homeless issue is a disaster right now and it's pretty dangerous unless you're riding with a large group. 

It can also be pretty inefficient. This in conjunction with the Kinder project definitely moves the needle forward in terms of trail access on both sides of the bayou, but we also need to keep pushing for street-level bicycle facilities in the area. The Jensen bridge, Runnels, Commerce, Navigation, Canal, Harrisburg, and Milby could all do with some separation. (And pedestrian improvements in general).

• Like 8

Midway released the latest East River retail leasing brochure last month.

Below is the latest site plan which includes EaDo Eye Studio. As previously mentioned, EaDo Eye Studio will be located at 2921 Riverby Rd, Suite 104.

Also included in the latest site plan are the street names. Although the plat displaying street names were previously posted pages back (and the street names are now on Google Maps as noted recently), the names were omitted from past site plans.

And if it's been a few weeks since you've last visited East River's website, it's undergone a change in layout. New categories, like a directory have been added. The directory is sorted by dining, shopping, work, and play. Previously announced retail and office tenants are included in the directory.

https://www.eastriverhtx.com/explore-directory/grid

https://issuu.com/midway2/docs/230726_east_river_retail?fr=sMmYwMTY0Mzk2OTc

KpW86fi.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks @IntheKnowHouston.  Also, the site of Port of Houston’s HQ Building is indicated.  This is the site that I expected. I also think that they’ll have a dedicated garage (as was mentioned in their press release) which I will go immediately north, connected by bridge, and oriented 90deg to the existing garage. Midway had previously leaked this detail, several months ago. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2023 at 7:21 AM, 004n063 said:

It can also be pretty inefficient. This in conjunction with the Kinder project definitely moves the needle forward in terms of trail access on both sides of the bayou, but we also need to keep pushing for street-level bicycle facilities in the area. The Jensen bridge, Runnels, Commerce, Navigation, Canal, Harrisburg, and Milby could all do with some separation. (And pedestrian improvements in general).

Agreed on the separations. The fastest way there is to report stopped trains to the FRA blocked crossing portal: https://www.fra.dot.gov/blockedcrossings/

The West Belt project emerged from its 15-year hiatus as a result of east end residents reporting blockages there. As a result, the FRA administrator made three personal visits (no other city got that) and the near east end (eado/eastwood/second ward from commerce to Lockwood) earned the worst top of the list award available: Most blocked in the nation. 

The more blocked intersections that are documented, the greater chance Houston has for more federal funding. That's good for residents, businesses, and the railways alike. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've always valued Velasco for a pedestrian crossing, personally. Would connect the new trail built as part of the Concept Neighborhood development with the Columbia Tap. The Concept trail will connect with Buffalo Bayou East. Of course, it would require permission from UP to go over or under the rail yard, and UP has a history of not granting access. The West Belt project occurred literally because of the overwhelming evidence against their operating practices, seen firsthand by federal officials on visits, that they relented on the York underpasses. 

Important to note the railway access hesitancy isn't Houston centric. 

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/state-and-local-lawmakers-rip-union-pacific-over-costs-delays-on-community-projects

Edited by JClark54
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2023 at 11:21 AM, Valhalla said:

Easy on the copium hits dude. 

The water looks objectively disgusting, like toilet water after a late night taco bell run disgusting. Every time I take someone to the bayou downtown they comment on the color of the water.

I grew up in San Antonio and no one would ever go to the river walk if it was this color. There's no reason the bayou can't copy the success of the river walk, but the color of the water is a major factor holding it back. 

I'm not sure if permanently dying the water is even possible. If it is, however, that's clearly the way to go. 

That comparison is dumb as hell . The River Walk is paved. The Bayou is literally that, a bayou. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2023 at 7:21 AM, 004n063 said:

Graf from the CoH railroad crossing elimination grant proposal stating bike lanes, sidewalks will be included in the York and Commerce/Navigation separations. Currently, sidewalks aren't continuous.

image.png.16fbba4513428252c6ea0b19e72d92da.png

Commentary about an the separation opening up opportunities for a future East River trail connection.

image.png.115b1c14567e4be834b6584c05c9cd7c.png

I wrote my wish would be Velasco, since it enables the Columbia Tap, Harrisburg Trail, and Buffalo Bayou East to connect, but realistically I doubt the plausibility. Most likely, they intend to continue the bike lanes along York to Buffalo Bayou East, where the pedestrian bridge will provide access to East River. 

Edited by JClark54
  • Like 4

A plan review permit was submitted today for 2921 Riverby Rd, Suite 100. This is one of the ground level suites located in The Depot, which is part of the East River mixed-use development.

According to the permit, it's for a retail remodel.

I think 2921 Riverby Rd, Ste 100 is leased to Broham. Broham / Broham Fine Soul Food & Groceries is chef Johny Rhodes' forthcoming boutique grocery store.

3zhQ6Tk.png

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, wilcal said:

It basically doesn't. With the flow output from the ship channel directly into the ocean. The 100 and 500 year flood plains end basically at the bank.

I am no hydrologist, but I'd guess there's more to do with obstructions upstream in the downtown area that doesn't move enough water (and floods downtown), than it is to do with downstream.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, samagon said:

I am no hydrologist, but I'd guess there's more to do with obstructions upstream in the downtown area that doesn't move enough water (and floods downtown), than it is to do with downstream.

That's a fair assumption and why they want to spend so much on the canal project.

On 7/28/2023 at 4:00 PM, hindesky said:

"City Cellars owner Daniel Wolfe states that he plans to relocate the restaurant to the East River development in the Fifth Ward. He adds that the new location will open in early 2024."

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/city-cellars-htx-wine-bar-restaurant-moving-2023/

According to a recent alcohol application, City Cellars is indeed relocating to East River. The TABC filing lists the restaurant's address as 2859 Riverby Rd. 

City Cellars is a locally-owned wine bar and restaurant. It originally opened in the Parc Binz building at 1801 Binz St, Suite 120. Over the summer, CultureMap reported on the restaurant closing its Museum District location. The CultureMap article also noted City Cellars plans to relocate to East River, but there wasn't a lease in place yet.

"However, a representative tells CultureMap that those negotiations are ongoing and have yet to be finalized. Regardless of where the new location winds up being, it's expected to debut in the first quarter of 2024."

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/city-cellars-htx-wine-bar-restaurant-moving-2023/

Below is a  map from Google Maps showing the location of 2859 Riverby Rd.

hedOcLw.jpg 

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 7