9 minutes ago, hindesky said:

With global warming they will be getting them soon.

There is a seriously untapped market here, and we could be on the cutting-edge of this one. Hear me out: Sled Gators.

Take a boat, hook up twelve or so gators to it, and let them pull your boat down the bayou, Iditarod-style. I don’t know how you’d keep them moving. Maybe put a lure with a chicken on it in the very front. 

This could be a fun, unique tourist draw. People always complain we aren’t a tourist city, and I think this would be a great start to get something going. We’d be utilizing our under-utilized bayous AND show off our local wildlife. Win-wins all around.

• Haha 6

Ive lived here for 70 years, and if anything it might be a little cleaner due to efforts of many to try and make it less polluted. It's always been a brownish color during part of the year and at other times it clears a little. No amount of dyes is going to make it bluer. As far as Brays being clearer. Flushing through ten or so miles of concrete instead of dirt will do that. It is what it is and will always be. Just be happy that we have a bayou that flows to the gulf. At some point even Austin will be faced with an empty or low  lake downtown if the droughts continue. The Rio Grande has been dry in Big Bend this summer at times. Many central Texas streams and rivers have stopped running at times this year. There are bigger fish to fry.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, urbanize713 said:

I am dreaming but what are the chances of a signature bridge on Jensen over the bayou? New wider suspension bridge opening space underneath and adding bike lanes/wide sidewalks?

”The East River Bridge”

It'd still be worth adding an additional ped/bike bridge halfway between Jensen and Hirsch. Maybe from the Middle St. development.

I'd be willing to personally pay dozens of dollars toward that.

11 hours ago, Ctaf said:

The empty land between the Laura and all those townhomes (looks like a beddown location?), is that land part of a different phase?

They own everything from the bayou to the street facing the townhouses which is Clinton. From the Jensen bridge all of the way down past the old Brown and Root building in the background to the Hirsch street bridge. Thats where the golf course is being built now. I sure wish one of you drone flyers would post a current image of the course, just to see how the rains have helped make the grass green. Should be a fun little course to play and what views.

And I'm not even a golfer.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ctaf said:

The empty land between the Laura and all those townhomes (looks like a beddown location?), is that land part of a different phase?

It’s part of phase 1, but the building hasn’t been announced. Some folks here have commented that it would be a good sized lot for a grocery store 😇

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

The Laura is the apartment part of Phase one. It’s named after a riverboat that used to run between Galveston and Houston…which makes it a good name rather than an awful one. 

More importantly, the Laura was the boat the Allen brothers used in early 1837 to demonstrate that Buffalo Bayou was a navigable river as far as their town site (Allen's Landing).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I made an account to ask this question….what is that land across from Laura on Jensen towards downtown being cleared out for?? Few acres there. I didn’t think Midway owned that property. Is it a continuation of the Laura? Very curious…

30 minutes ago, JRB said:

I made an account to ask this question….what is that land across from Laura on Jensen towards downtown being cleared out for?? Few acres there. I didn’t think Midway owned that property. Is it a continuation of the Laura? Very curious…

HHA Property. There is a thread on it here:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/47370-standard-on-the-bayou-multifamily-91-jensen-dr/

35 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Thanks for the images. Now Im curious what is going on in the bottom image. 

They are building a structurally sound bank. On the smallest barge are big pieces of metal that they drive into the ground (you can see that happening along the bank). 

I'm guessing they are driving in fill dart to fill behind using that ramp.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, wilcal said:

They are building a structurally sound bank. On the smallest barge are big pieces of metal that they drive into the ground (you can see that happening along the bank). 

I'm guessing they are driving in fill dart to fill behind using that ramp.

In my opinion, they are building a dock. You are correct about the bulkhead, which appears to be multi-leveled. And at the back of the excavation you can see where they auger-ed out holes for pier forms which I assume is for a retaining wall. I wonder if they're imagining a water taxi from downtown.

Driving sheet pilings to shore up the bank which looks like a bend in the bayou and could be compromised in a flood. I've been at a site where this was being done, they use either a large drop hammer with brute force or they use a vibrating device. The one I was involved in were hammered in, it's very noisy and quickly becomes very irritating.

P6qYgyd.png

• Like 7

9 hours ago, wilcal said:

Last weekend I was riding along Allen's Landing and there were a bunch of pleasure craft tied up along Allen's Landing. Evidently privately owned leisure boats are not allowed along the ship channel, but this group has been able to get a waiver once a year.

CXH5Fku.jpg

I do think East River had talked about doing a ferry to downtown at one point but they more recently mentioned adding some kind of street car I believe.

Am I absolutely insane for wanting a gondola?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/28/2022 at 8:45 PM, Twinsanity02 said:

I do not think desiring a gondola in Houston is a mark of insanity. But then I am not trained in psychology. Any Haifer trained psychologists out there? 

gondolitis, it's most pervasive and distinct in places like Phoenix, or other desert areas though, and rare in a place like Houston.

I offer counseling, rates are reasonable considering it is such a rare condition and requires some specialized shock treatment. 

• Haha 5

On 9/30/2022 at 10:14 AM, samagon said:

gondolitis, it's most pervasive and distinct in places like Phoenix, or other desert areas though, and rare in a place like Houston.

I offer counseling, rates are reasonable considering it is such a rare condition and requires some specialized shock treatment. 

Cool, let's jump into it. Lately I've been having intrusive thoughts about a direct, aerial passageway from East River to the UHD Red Line stop and on to the rooftop at Post HTX. Or maybe to Discovery Green. Or maybe - dear god, what is wrong with me? - both.

I have heard that Vyvanse can help with this condition.