Midtown Arts Center At 3400 Main St.

Highway6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^^^ wonderful and exciting addition to the MIDTOWN district. however, what happened to the sparkle of this development?  why does it suddenly seem so very drab and dull?  i think that the earlier illustrations depicted a much more exciting exterior design.  what happened?

• Like 3

^^^ wonderful and exciting addition to the MIDTOWN district. however, what happened to the sparkle of this development?  why does it suddenly seem so very drab and dull?  i think that the earlier illustrations depicted a much more exciting exterior design.  what happened?

I was just about to say the same thing! I thought the structure was going to be more open, more glass, etc.

• Like 1

I think that once they take down the fences, and if you go by there at night it will be magnificent with the illuminations from

inside glowing through the metal facade. It will look like one of those lanterns with slats that allow a lot of light to come

thru.They'll have banners and landscaping and it will look much more exciting. However I do wish they had used some brick or

stone, to break up all of the different metal sidings.

• Like 3

Yeah I don't know what everyone is complaining about either. This is pretty much the building as advertised minus the perferated mesh at the front of the building. I think they could have gotten a mesh with larger diameter holes or produced said mesh themselves in a shop because I think thats what is throwing everything else off. The perferations just aren't big enough to get the see-though effect in the renderings. If that part becomes as translucent as in the renderings then I think it ties together more. I think some of yall thought that was suppose to be glass, but that seems it was suppose to be mesh the whole time! They probably should have field tested it first to see how it would look from a distance to see if it would really be as translucent as they thought it was going to be! Probably not to late to change them out at some point in the future if they find a better solution. If not then it will be a good place to put the Marquee or do some interesting lighting affects. On the plus side, its going to be a very nicely shaded entry way during the summer lol.

All and all I'm pretty impressed with what they were able to do with this building, on this site, and the budget they were given. I can't imagine what the price per sqft was lol. Must have been a nightmare. If you go to the match website they already have a few photos in the frontpage that scroll across and they really seem to do it justice! Give it time to get some landscape around it and let it settle into its surroundings and it will be just fine. Plus I think it matches (pun not intended) the other theaters we have in town each with its own harsh exterior shell.

Shame I can't go and see it :/. I hope someone can get really up and close and take some really good beauty shots.

match-new-rendering-2014-medium*750xx398

920x920.jpg

we can certainly comprehend just where a few of you gents are coming from, in regards to the overall completion of this most highly anticipated edifice.  however, the initial renderings look a bit different than the actual end product.  (what a shame)

nonetheless, i am wishing MATCH nothing but heralded success....

Edited by monarch
  • Like 1

Exactly what I said. So no it isn't built as advertised. It looks way more open in the renderings.

Maybe you need to look at the renderings closely again. Its pretty much the building as shown. The mesh is what wasnt delivered as promised! That doesn't make or break the building though lol Sheesh. Lets not overract here.

• Like 1

I agree that the mesh doesn't appear as per the renders, but perhaps they were just showing the outer layer as transparent (as is often the case) to show a bit of the inside?  I rode my bike by yesterday afternoon and the corrugated metal facade appears as though it will look quite nice at night... and may even be somewhat transparent... when the breezeway is illuminated.

Maybe you need to look at the renderings closely again. Its pretty much the building as shown. The mesh is what wasnt delivered as promised! That doesn't make or break the building though lol Sheesh. Lets not overract here.

I mean I'm not upset or anything. I guess I was just expecting more transparent walls to view the activity inside. Either way the building is awesome. Our design team does the same thing with their renders, in that they make certain areas semi transparent to get an idea of the inside. 

I mean I'm not upset or anything. I guess I was just expecting more transparent walls to view the activity inside. Either way the building is awesome. Our design team does the same thing with their renders, in that they make certain areas semi transparent to get an idea of the inside. 

Similar to j_cuevas713, I'm not upset, either.  It was never a groundbreaking, sexy design to begin with, IMO.  "Storage facility meets medical office building" is merely a description.

• Like 1

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Heights-caterer-to-operate-cafe-at-Midtown-s-6542893.php

MATCH just made a culinary match that will bring good food to Midtown arts patrons. The Midtown Arts & Theater Center Houston, operating the performing arts space for local theater and arts groups at 3400 Main, has tapped Lemond Kitchen, a Houston catering firm (612 Archer), to operate the café planned for the center which will have four theaters ranging in size from 70 to 350 seats and art gallery space for the city's mid-tier arts groups.

Chuck Still, executive director of MATCH, said the café won't be fully operational until January. Until then Lemond will cater events at MATCH as needed, including the first show at the center on Oct. 2. The café is a glass box that fronts Main Street Plaza; patrons will order from a window and eat/drink at tables set out in the center's patio breezeway that flows from Main to Travis, Still said.

• Like 5

The mesh is transparent when the brightest light source is opposite the observer; inside activity should be very visible with the lobby lights turned on in the evening.

From this afternoon:

post-12156-0-96659200-1443848876_thumb.j

post-12156-0-36517200-1443848961_thumb.j

• Like 9