Tremont Tower Condominiums At 3311 Yupon St.

johncoby

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. Tremont built Hyde Park Crecent. And yes, Hyde Park Crecent was also plagued with complaints about shoddy construction, particularly with regard to water leaks. Come on Tremont. How hard is to build a building that doesn't leak like a sieve months after completion?

The Lemon Lady who protested daily in front of Tremont Tower was a Hyde Park Crecent homeowner.

bpe3

Wow. Just wow. The Chronicle is reporting that there were 74 foreclosures out of 76 units were foreclosed in 2007 alone. Perhaps HCAD hasn't kept up with all the ownership changes. That's a mind blowing figure. People really are voting with their feet.

Chronicle forclosure data: http://www.chron.com/business/2007_foreclosures.html

bpe3

It's still shocking, but there is a disclaimer on the foreclosure map that states those are foreclosures on mortgages, not units. Some, if not all of the units were, no doubt, financed with two mortgages, which would register two foreclosures on a single unit.

Still pretty dismal, though.

I don't think the existence of a 2nd lien would cause a single foreclosure event to count twice. If a first lien is foreclosed, the second lien is wiped out. Two lenders can't foreclose at the same time. Only the senior lender can foreclose. I think the disclaimer actually means that same unit could have been foreclosed multiple times over the course of a year. As in: Bought by Buyer A and financed by lender A in 2005, foreclosed by lender A in early 2007. Sold in mid 2007 to Buyer B with a loan from Lender B. Foreclosed by Lender B in late 2007. What the Chronicle did was go through the foreclosure files and count up the totals. They were too lazy to go back and compare all the address to check for duplicates.

bpe3

• 3 weeks later...

I walk in front of this thing on Westheimer all the time. With the exception of a couple units it looks as empty as the old Holiday Inn downtown.

If I had my druthers and I didn't have to deal with any consequences from it I'd say push the plunger, clean up the whole site and start over. That building is ugly to me anyway. It detracts from my view of the utility poles and billboards.

• 4 weeks later...
Pricing is getting more realistic... some may even say ridiculously low...

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

Sixth floor! 99K! maint fee needs to be lower... Other units for sale in the upper 80K range...

This is in Houston ISD - The zoned schools are Wilson ES, Lanier MS, and Lamar HS.

With that said, what will happen to the Tremont now? Will it change ownership? Will it get a more competent and less heavy-handed leadership?

We looked seriously at buying in there. The main reason we decided not to is because if you buy a foreclosure the sale price is not considered when protesting the appraisal value. It would have made for an enormous tax bill. They are so high because of the out-of-state buyers who paid a TON of money for certain units because they were unaware that the prices were rediculous for Houston (this is all according to the guy who showed us around and is on the Board there).

There is damage to some common areas as well. Be aware that the tactics of the realtors respresenting the foreclosures is shady at best. We were told several times that we needed to raise our bid because others out bid us. When we removed our bid from the running, the realtor suddenly called and asked if our original bid was still good! This happened twice on two different properties with two different realtors... :wacko:

We looked seriously at buying in there. The main reason we decided not to is because if you buy a foreclosure the sale price is not considered when protesting the appraisal value. It would have made for an enormous tax bill. They are so high because of the out-of-state buyers who paid a TON of money for certain units because they were unaware that the prices were rediculous for Houston (this is all according to the guy who showed us around and is on the Board there).

There is damage to some common areas as well. Be aware that the tactics of the realtors respresenting the foreclosures is shady at best. We were told several times that we needed to raise our bid because others out bid us. When we removed our bid from the running, the realtor suddenly called and asked if our original bid was still good! This happened twice on two different properties with two different realtors... :wacko:

Yea that happens a lot.

• 1 month later...
$378 monthly maintenance fee!!! Yikes!!!

The throw-away debt load (taxes and maint fees) on these units is outrageous. If the maint fees were reasonable and the tax value was actually adjusted to the selling price of these units (130 to 250K)... the place would be full.

Consult your congressman; when we pass a bill to subsidize cobwebs, the place will be a goldmine.

It looms over lower Westheimer like the House of Usher. If there's ever a Weird and Creepy award for architecture, we have a wnner.

• 2 weeks later...

32 of the units have been sold in the past 6 months to owner-occupants. I am purchasing one as well. I received my mold report yesterday, and the unit's spore count was 60 per square meter. Outside the unit, in Houston's fresh air, the count was 2280 spores per square meter. The average moisture in the unit was less than 8%; it is highly improbable that significant amounts of mold could grow there under these conditions.

I have also had the building's structural integrity tested (at great expense I might add), and inspection of the electrical system, plumbing and other unit systems. The inspections came back with only minor suggestions for repair, totalling less than $100.

I really owe a debt of gratitute to Hyde Park. Because of her tireless efforts to disparage this building, I am able to buy a beautiful condo that I could otherwise not afford at less than $100 per square foot. If I had the money, I'd buy another unit for investment.

Others have now realized that many of their fears about the building were not justified by the facts. On my unit alone, there were 11 submitted contracts. I was fortunate to offer the highest amount. Units are now selling within days of listing.

If there were problems with this building in the past, some entity has repaired them.

32 of the units have been sold in the past 6 months to owner-occupants. I am purchasing one as well. I received my mold report yesterday, and the unit's spore count was 60 per square meter. Outside the unit, in Houston's fresh air, the count was 2280 spores per square meter. The average moisture in the unit was less than 8%; it is highly improbable that significant amounts of mold could grow there under these conditions.

I have also had the building's structural integrity tested (at great expense I might add), and inspection of the electrical system, plumbing and other unit systems. The inspections came back with only minor suggestions for repair, totalling less than $100.

I really owe a debt of gratitute to Hyde Park. Because of her tireless efforts to disparage this building, I am able to buy a beautiful condo that I could otherwise not afford at less than $100 per square foot. If I had the money, I'd buy another unit for investment.

Others have now realized that many of their fears about the building were not justified by the facts. On my unit alone, there were 11 submitted contracts. I was fortunate to offer the highest amount. Units are now selling within days of listing.

If there were problems with this building in the past, some entity has repaired them.

It's good to hear that Tremont is slowly but surely becoming occupied. For the past few years, it sat like a vacant building with no lights on or anything to indicate that people lived there. I'm looking forward to seeing signs of life there, as the building stands out so prominently in the neighborhood. I hope that the problems that plagued Tremont are a thing of the past, and that the "entity" did the repairs right.

Lovett19

I would buy your bridge before I went anywhere near that place...

oh snap.

and i concur.

its great that "texreguy" is happy with his purchase and made his first and only post about it here.. anyway, welcome to the forum.

but i digest.

having said that, i wouldn't buy a unit there and all expenses paid by a complete stranger's money.

:o

Yes. Still risky to buy there. However, those 90-100K forclosure deals are pretty tempting.

They are. And when the HCAD actually values the units at 90-100K (vs. 300's+)... that building will fill up pretty fast - no matter how ugly it is, how many real/perceived problems there are with the building, etc... Anything priced right will sell.

They are. And when the HCAD actually values the units at 90-100K (vs. 300's+)... that building will fill up pretty fast - no matter how ugly it is, how many real/perceived problems there are with the building, etc... Anything priced right will sell.

Not to any well-informed consumers, it won't. I pity the rest.

Out of the 27 units that have sold on the MLS this year...1/3 have been purchased through the same agent (and nearly 60% have been purchased through a total of 4 agents).

What does that mean? Just more investors trying to make a quick buck. So I wouldn't get too excited about having a lot of permanent neighbors anytime soon.

• 9 months later...

Archived