Tremont Tower Condominiums At 3311 Yupon St.

johncoby

I won't be able to attend the sentencing, but I hope it gets some press coverage. This is the same Norman Chapa who's worked with Jorge Casimiro/ Tremont Homes/ Tremont Tower/ Juliet's owners... for years.

"Norman Chapa pleaded guilty last June and is scheduled to be sentenced Nov. 18. He faces up to five years in prison and fines of up to $250,000"

Third Guilty Plea Comes in Texas-Based Visa Fraud Scam

Houston law firm falsely secured visas for Chinese nationals

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has announced a third guilty plea by a suspect connected to an international scheme to issue fraudulent visas.

Horacio Golfarini pleaded guilty August 12 to charges stemming from a scheme in which he and associates secured visas for Chinese nationals based on false information about business and employment connections that purportedly awaited the Chinese when they entered the United States.

Two others connected with the conspiracy, based at the Houston law firm, Kenneth L. Rothey & Associates P.C., have already pleaded guilty. One suspect, Kenneth Rothey, is a fugitive but has been indicted on charges of visa fraud, money laundering and encouraging Chinese nationals to enter the United States illegally.

The following is the text of the ICE press release:

U.S. Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement

August 12, 2005

News Release

LAW FIRM EMPLOYEE PLEADS GUILTY TO MONEY LAUNDERING IN INTERNATIONAL VISA FRAUD SCAM

Four local law firm employees were indicted for smuggling Chinese nationals into United States

HOUSTON - A local law firm employee pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court this morning to conspiring with an immigration attorney and others to launder $267,000 in funds earned through an international visa scam, following an investigation led by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

Horacio Golfarini, 43, a U.S. permanent resident and native of Uruguay, pleaded guilty today following his indictment in March. He admitted paying local businesses between $10,000 to $20,000 to control an interest in the Houston-based companies he and others duped. Golfarini enticed Chinese nationals to enter the U.S. as intra-company transferees, managers or executives. Golfarini was president of Capital Services Group and also an employee of Kenneth Rothey of Rothey Law Offices in Houston.

Norman Chapa, 52, a U.S. citizen, pleaded guilty in June 2004 to charges of visa fraud and to filing frivolous immigration petitions. Chapa admitted taking part in an international visa scam from May 1999 to January 2004. Chapa described how he helped recruit Chinese nationals while he was employed by Kenneth Rothey. The Chinese nationals sought immigration benefits that would allow them to enter and work in the United States.

Kenneth Rothey, 64, a local immigration attorney and owner of Rothey Law Firm in Houston, was indicted in March on charges of visa fraud, money laundering and encouraging Chinese nationals to enter the U.S. illegally.

If convicted, Rothey faces up to five years imprisonment for each of the nine counts on charges of encouraging unlawful immigration, 12 counts of visa fraud, and various money laundering charges relating to the financial transactions conducted with the proceeds of $267,000 of money paid to him by the Chinese nationals.

"We will investigate and promote prosecuting anyone who files false petitions to circumvent the federal immigration procedures in place," said Bob Rutt, ICE's special agent-in-charge. "We will work closely with the U.S. Attorney's office to ensure that individuals don't abuse our legal and immigration systems and legitimate employers."

The indictment alleges that Rothey, Golfarini and Chapa filed frivolous immigration petitions by creating the illusion that there was an affiliation between specific Chinese and U.S. companies. The three were charged with sending fictitious immigration petitions to the Texas Service Center (TSC), which is part of the Office of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

The defendants purportedly employed these Chinese nationals at one of eight local businesses as intra-company transferees or executives. They completed fictitious immigration forms and acted as petitioners on behalf of the Chinese nationals. After entering the United States, those seeking to gain employment also thought they could ultimately adjust their status to remain in the U.S.

Each Chinese national was willing to pay as much as $100,000 for immigrant visas and work authorization documents.

A fourth defendant, Ricardo Aguirre, 53, from Houston, was also charged with immigration fraud last August. Aguirre worked with Rothey and admitted he paid U.S. business owners about $20,000 each for creating fraudulent subsidiary relationships with Chinese companies to sponsor the employment-based petitions for his Chinese clients.

Horacio Golfarini is scheduled to be sentenced Nov. 4. He faces up to 20 years in prison and fines up to $500,000.

Norman Chapa pleaded guilty last June and is scheduled to be sentenced Nov. 18. He faces up to five years in prison and fines of up to $250,000.

Ricardo Aguirre pleaded guilty and awaits sentencing. He faces up to 10 years in prison and fines of up to $250,000.

Kenneth Rothey remains a fugitive and efforts are underway to secure his return to the United States.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Criminal Investigation's unit also assisted in this ICE-led investigation.

ICE

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) was established in March 2003 as the largest investigative arm of the Department of Homeland Security. ICE is comprised of five integrated divisions that form a 21st century law enforcement agency with broad responsibilities for a number of key homeland security priorities.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hydepark, you have made 35 posts on this forum. A search of your posts shows that every single one of them is on the same subject matter, and virtually every one of them repeats the same tired remarks. We understand your frustration with this builder, but we grow weary reading the same tirade over and over, with no new information.

I am sorry that you do not understand how annoying this is for us to read. If you spend any time on this forum other than your own postings, you will find the overwhelming majority of the posters here to be very civil to each other. But, your continued beating of this dead horse has tried our patience.

Please, give it a rest...or take it somewhere else. [u

]I have a right to post and you have the right to read what you chose. You can only speak for yourself.

I am trying to help people and save them from defective builders, foreclosures and bankrupcey. Everyone does not follow and critic everything I do. Many of the post are new information and updates that surport the points I have made. I can not force anyone to read my posts, but from my numbers other people seem to want to read what I write. I apoligize if you have misunderstood my behavior and thought it was not civil.

I consider my behavior passioniate and dedicated. I want to get this information out anyway possible. I am not going to answer any more personal attacks. I have more important things to do and people who want to be helped and it is a waste my time and effort .

I have a right to post and you have the right to read what you chose. You can only speak for yourself.

I am trying to help people and save them from defective builders, foreclosures and bankrupcey. Everyone does not follow and critic everything I do. Many of the post are new information and updates that surport the points I have made. I can not force anyone to read my posts, but from my numbers other people seem to want to read what I write. I apoligize if you have misunderstood my behavior and thought it was not civil.

I consider my behavior passioniate and dedicated. I want to get this information out anyway possible. I am not going to answer any more personal attacks. I have more important things to do and people who want to be helped and it is a waste my time and effort .

Yeah, well...listen: just a few things.

1. If you want to reply to someones post, click on the "reply" button beneath the post. That makes it easier to separate what you are replying to.

2. Yes, Red only speaks for himself...many times, however, he articulates what many of us are thinking-as I feel safe saying in this instance.

3. No one is mounting a personal attack against you-certainly not me. I don't even know you. No one has accused you of uncivility.

4. We are, as Red pointed out, civil to one another 99% of the time. I am one of the more outspoken Liberals and frequently attack the conservative viewpoints I read in this forum. I also detest bad spelling and grammer. However, I don't attack the Conservative and I don't attack the typist.

5.We get your point. I receive email alerts when someone posts in a topic that I have subscribed to. Your redundancy at times has caused me to simply delete many of the emails I see with your name attached.

6.I don't know of a clearer way to describe my point of view to you. I hope I have been civil.

B)

[bTW I responded to your misspelling of tort in the Real Estate Center Website thread. I now blame you for having a torte in the oven even as I type this at 11:05 PM! I hope you are happy with yourself! :D ]

Yeah, well...listen: just a few things.

1. If you want to reply to someones post, click on the "reply" button beneath the post. That makes it easier to separate what you are replying to.

2. Yes, Red only speaks for himself...many times, however, he articulates what many of us are thinking-as I feel safe saying in this instance.

3. No one is mounting a personal attack against you-certainly not me. I don't even know you. No one has accused you of uncivility.

4. We are, as Red pointed out, civil to one another 99% of the time. I am one of the more outspoken Liberals and frequently attack the conservative viewpoints I read in this forum. I also detest bad spelling and grammer. However, I don't attack the Conservative and I don't attack the typist.

5.We get your point. I receive email alerts when someone posts in a topic that I have subscribed to. Your redundancy at times has caused me to simply delete many of the emails I see with your name attached.

6.I don't know of a clearer way to describe my point of view to you. I hope I have been civil.

B)

[bTW I responded to your misspelling of tort in the Real Estate Center Website thread. I now blame you for having a torte in the oven even as I type this at 11:05 PM! I hope you are happy with yourself! :D ]

You are correct my spelling and grammar leave a lot to be desired. I am terribly dyslexic and it takes me a very long time to post. I guess you guys need to explain to me exactly what you consider exceptable posts. or should I just send them to you privately let you decide if they are worthy, and if they are up to your standards.

I have a right to post

No, you do not. Posting is a priviledge, not a right.

If you think you have a "right" to post on this forum, then you should re-read both the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. You will not find any mention of HAIF in there.

• 1 month later...

Norman Chapa -who last year plead guilty to fraud charges - will be indicted in federal court this Jan. 20th at 10:30AM in Judge Ellison's court. Chapa has been listed as Jorge Casimiro's registered agent for dozens of businesses at 2323 Shepherd Street, coincidentally, Orlando Sanchez's office address.

Jorge Casimiro is President, CEO of Stature Construction, University Developments, Tremont Homes, Tremont Tower, Tremont Construction, Simon, and Carlisle Homes.

Sanchez, Casimiro, Chapa? Three peas in a pod? Why is Sanchez now running for county Treasurer with a rap sheet of potential friends being indicted on federal charges and pleading guilty?

Check out: http://www.housnitch.com/HOUSNITCH%2087.htm for more on Sanchez's business history with Casimiro.

0978476 SANCHEZ ORLANDO 230860538 03-22-2001 10

2323 S. SHEPHERD #1160 HOUSTON TX 77019

BAN-TEX INVESTMENTS P. O. BOX 20463

"YEAH...he registered his companies there after he was caught using City Hall as his

business address. And that name...Casimiro...BIG financial contributor to Sanchez political career.

OK YOU SAY...SO WHAT'S THAT GOT TO DO WITH A CITY PROBLEM?

Well, guys....seems that SOMEONE over in PW&E, has been "overlooking" certain building codes

and requirements that you and I as "average" taxpayers couldn't get away with.

A complaint filed with the OIG in January 2002 is still under investigation.

But we can tell you that the lead inspector on this job has retired....and wonder of wonders...

Mr. Melvin Embry director of Code Enforcement is also retiring now!

Coincidence? (naw...WE know better... I GUESS IF YOU CONTRIBUTE ENOUGH MONEY TO SOMEBODY'S CAMPAIGN YOU CAN BASICALLY DO WHAT EVER YOU WANT WITH OTHER PEOPLE'S LIVES AND THE CITY'S ORDINANCES."mjuzd0.jpg Casimiro's Dumpmjv1cl.jpgmjv1ig.jpg

"YEAH...he registered his companies there after he was caught using City Hall as his

business address.

That's funny to me because I've been using Houston City Hall's address as my home address for years. Whenever I'm buying something at Radio Shack or somewhere else that wants my address for no good reason other than to send me junk mail, I always give 900 Bagby, 77002.

somewhere else that wants my address for no good reason other than to send me junk mail, I always give 900 Bagby, 77002.

Running for political office, opening a business, and completing city records with a fake address is much more serious than using a wrong address for junk mail. I'm sure 900 Bagby is not the address listed on your Driver's License.

At yesterday's City Council Agenda meeting (reruns are still playing on tv), there is much discussion on the Tremont/ bad building issues. Tremont (University Developments) got a $500,000 city contract Pulled (Not tagged, completely pulled off the city agenda). Bill White seemed mad and upset, with mention of Norman Chapa pleading guilty to federal charges and the fact they were fired from previous city jobs because of bad building.

City Council and Mayor White became aware of the many addresses Tremont has used, with Norman Chapa as their acting agent, and in some cases a "Director" .

Regarding fake addresses, City Council was confused how another Tremont associate Hilda Delgado had so many addresses. "Hilda Delgado" lived at Tremont Tower 3311 Yupon Street while she was also President of University Developments. According to HCAD, Hilda Delgado does not own a home at 3311 Yupon Street.

"Who is Hilda Delgado? I'd like to meet her. She seems to own property all over Houston" remarked City Council woman Ada Edwards.

University Developments had been receiving substantial city contracts for low-income housing, such as Willowbrook, yet had a track record of bad building (see Houston Chronicle article regarding them being fired from Memorial Police Station due to mold, 9 mths behind schedule).

Seems like the Mayor is finally cleaning up the political mess of bad building and those who falsify addresses. Kudos to the Mayor and Ada Edwards!

"AGENDA - COUNCIL MEETING - WEDNESDAY - JANUARY 18, 2006 - 9:00 A. M.

COUNCIL CHAMBER - SECOND FLOOR - CITY HALL

901 BAGBY - HOUSTON, TEXAS"....

"30. ORDINANCE appropriating $264,695.15 out of Water & Sewer System Consolidated Construction Fund and $255,000.00 out of Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone Affordable Housing Fund; approving and authorizing Developer Participation Contract between the City of Houston and UNIVERSITY DEVELOPMENT, INC for Construction of Water, Sanitary Sewer and Storm Sewer Lines to serve Section Six of the Southway Subdivision, CIP S-0800-13-03 & R-0800-13-03 - DISTRICT E

Who's on first?

How much money has been appropriated from city of Houston funds,

to University/Tremont /Stature construction/ Simon Homes/ Carlisle Homes, ect.....ect...ect....

Whose responsibility is it to find out who these monies are actually going to..and why they need so many different identities?

How can University Development get appropriated money, when it's CEO is Jorge Casimiro,

Yet the President, Vice President and Director are listed as one Hilda Delgado (Casimior's name does not appear with the Texas Comprollers office as an officer of said company)

Yet

Hilda Delgado's address is listed, with the texas comptoller as 3311 Yupon and that is actuallyTremont Towers another of Casimiro's fiascos' address?

Then we have Tremont Plaza Inc. address 1115 Oxford St.

Regsitered agent Hilda M. Casimro ....address 1115 Oxford St?

President and director of Tremont Plaza is Hilda M. Casimiro address 3311 Yupon?

Yet, Hilda Delgado has a new business address. it is 550 westcott. That is across the street from Knox Street, another Casimiro develpment with known defects.... see Houstonsnitch for pictures and history..

HCAD has Ms. Hilda Delgado living at 1115 Oxford?

Who is this woman?

Why is the city giving her money from afforable housing, TRIZ, and water and sewer funds? <_<

Ms. Delgado is also listed as President and director of Rodriguez Investment Development Corporation, also listed at... Tremont Towers address 3311 Yupon?

What are her qualifications? How old is she?

Why is Norman Chapa, convicted of federal charges, the registered agent for University Development, Rodriguez Investment, Tremont Homes, Tremont Homes Texas LLC? :wacko:

"AGENDA - COUNCIL MEETING - WEDNESDAY - JANUARY 18, 2006 - 9:00 A. M.

COUNCIL CHAMBER - SECOND FLOOR - CITY HALL

901 BAGBY - HOUSTON, TEXAS"....

"30. ORDINANCE appropriating $264,695.15 out of Water & Sewer System Consolidated Construction Fund and $255,000.00 out of Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone Affordable Housing Fund; approving and authorizing Developer Participation Contract between the City of Houston and UNIVERSITY DEVELOPMENT, INC for Construction of Water, Sanitary Sewer and Storm Sewer Lines to serve Section Six of the Southway Subdivision, CIP S-0800-13-03 & R-0800-13-03 - DISTRICT E

Chapa's sentencing is now Jan. 20th at 10:30AM in Judge Ellison's court. As Chapa has plead guilty, he most likely will serve time... any other thoughts?

NORMAN CHAPAChapa's sentencing has now been put off to March 20,2006. I am sure if I was convicted, I could just keep putting off my going to jail. <_<

• 2 years later...

What's the deal with the Tremont Towers??? I searched and found a few threads here and there but nothing too specific. I see a lot of hate toward the developers? Reason I ask is that therre are a ton of FOreclosures in that building now. I count 14 on HAR.com right now!!! The place doesn't look to bad and I have been shopping around for a place inside the loop. The prices seem more than fair and the Maintenance fees are low too.

Give me the scoop!!!

Try this link.

EDIT: Oops. Looks like that thread got out of control and has been closed. But read it anyway - you'll get some background. I looked at them when they were brand new. They were over priced and, I thought, had outrageous maint fees. Warranted or not, the place is damaged goods. There was also a Houston Press article...

At some price, I'm sure there's some value there. It's a risky proposition thought. How do you determine the fair value?

The have been construction problems since the get go. Leaks in the building envelope cuased physical damage to some unit interiors. There have rumors of mold infestation. I assume some of the leak issues have addressed. But what caused them in the first place. If the design was flawed, perhaps there are more problems waiting to happen down the line. If the design was OK and the GC just messed up in a few spots, maybe the problems have been fixed for good. I have know way of knowing. Neither do most others.

There have been a lot of foreclosures in the building. Some of the units were likely purchased by prospective occupants or landlords using high leverage loans. The value of the units has clearly decreased due to all the bad press about the shoddy construction. It makes sense that some of these owners may have walked away from their unit knowing that they were underwater on their investment. Why throw good money after bad? Sacrifice your credit score and hand the lender the keys. There have also been accusations of mortgage fruad on the part of the developer and the condo sales reps. Some claim they bought in bogus buyers, lied about the buyer's income, and sold them units with other people's money. Perhaps the buyers were in on the scam and received kickbacks. Perhaps the buyers were scammed too. Who knows? Not me.

Beware of low HOA fees. They can change at any time. If problems persist, more money may be needed. Where will that money come from? You, the condo owner. But what if your fellow condo owners cannot or will not fork over the cash. The HOA can go broke. Maintenance issues can go unaddressed. The building can fail into disrepair. Lawsuits are very expensive.

Fractured owenrship can be dangerous thing.

I've only seen photos of the unit interiors. They look pretty nice though. I don't think much of the exterior, but it's certainly not the only ugly building in town.

bpe3

It's always good to know your neighbors. A quick seach of HCAD lists the following condo owners:

Note: If the HCDA listed owner looked like a possible owner-occupacnt (i.e. John Smith), I changed their name to "Individual". The rest look to be investors, lenders who foreclosed, or even the condo association itself.

Individual

Yeah a quick Google search brings up the standard stories. And after looking at it a little more, taxes would be freakin killer!!! #305 is listed for ~109k (great price for a 2BD in that area) but appraised on HCAD for 389k in 07... No thanks...

Shoulda done my looking first.

they should tear that crap down. It's bloody awful. the way it relates to the surrounding hood - e.g.e the huge unfinished cinderblock wall & weeds facing westheimer, and positioned on that curve on Westheimer it is visible from a LONG way off. I'm all for midrises as a solution for more dense growth but some thought should go into them &how they relate to the neighborhood.

Driving by last Sunday it looked like only 6-7 units were occupied. It is an abomination; the owners, banks, whatever, should cut their losses and either tear it down or hope for a category 3 Hurricane. 'Cause it wouldn't take more than that to knock it down.

When is this town going to get some serious building codes?

In my view, what needs to happen is that the Treemont HOA needs to step up to the plate and address all of the issues, real and perceived, involving the property and that an HOA agent be made available, for questioning, by every prospective buyer. In addition, those who currently own units should work with the HOA and volunteer to also be made available for reference - for better or worse. A full open and honest disclosure (the good and the bad), correct pricing, and a reasonable maintenance fee could turn that place around.

I looked at these units when they were new and looked at them again when several of them went to auction. The investor who owned the units would not even provide the very basic information on the monthly maintenance fees. When pressed for more information about the troubled property "Why is this new building vacant?" - they clammed up, even more. "I see that half of the sheetrock has been removed against the wall, under the window, and I see rust on steel..." No answer. That is pathetic. No wonder the place has such a bad reputation - because no one can seem to get honest information. It's a self-feeding problem.

For those who want to see the place leveled

I would rather see the place gutted down to the concrete frame and start over, salvage as much of the interior as possible.. No need for a complete implosion.. ;)

And get a new property management group..

BryanS is on the right track. The newspaper articles all seem to frame this as a home buyer vs. the developer battle. It's too late for that now. The time to blame the developer is long gone. For better or for worse, the condo owners are on their own at this point.

Clearly the building has problems. As far as I know, no one has actually figured out what the exact problems are, let alone come up with a strategy to fix them. The developer started off pretending the problems didn't exist. Then he tried to blame the victims. Then he tried to band-aid the problem. None of those stratagies worked. The building still has problems and they aren't going away on their own.

The first thing the HOA needs to do is hire a structural engineer to go over every square inch of that building with a fine tooth comb and figure out where the problems are. Only then, will the HOA be able to come up with a plan to fix the problems.

Of course then comes the fun part, paying for and executing the repairs. It's not like the condo owners are in the construction business. Who within the HOA has the expertise to take on this project? Who do the other owners trust with their money? How many of the owners actually have the money to contribute? Even if an owner can afford it, does it make any sense to throw more money at the problem if you already have your unit encumbered with a mortgage? Many of the remaining owners are likely underwater on their mortgages. Why whould they throw good money after bad? Half the building has already been foreclosed by lenders. The owners are voting with their feet.

HOA's are simply not set up to handle issues like these. They are there so busy body neighbors can fight about the color of paint in the hallway, the style of the sofa in the lobby and who is or isn't following the pool rules.

There are 27 units listed for sale on HAR. Five of them are under contract with asking prices around $100/SF. There's value here somewhere. The only real way to determine that value though, is via a detailed inspection of the entire building. Maybe these new buyers have more infomation than the rest of us. If not, they are merely speculating. Good luck to them. They'll need it. I wouldn't pay $100/SF with this kind of uncertainty.

bpe3

Archived