Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

Well, regardless, it is done. What'cha gonna do now? Hmmmm?

All of your carping and beeching has not stopped Walmart, has not stopped Ainbinder, has not stopped the 380, has not gotten a new bridge in less than 4 years, and has not turned anyone against the new retail on Yale. So, really, what'cha gon do? :P

Oh, and you have no idea what Walmart would do.

Oh sure, when you are dead wrong, it doesn't matter. But if think anyone who doesn't share your view makes an incorrect statement, it is all sixth grade insults. You were flat out wrong. Your fantasy about the 380 agreement being a City of Houston plan for small business owners is a laugh riot. You are completely out of touch with what is actually happening because of your determination to be a Walmart apologist.

And if you think that all the effort has resulted in nothing, you are again deluding yourself. Your pet Emme's Place project is on very shaky grounds after RUDH mobilized its followers to express their concern to the City. Cohen and Rodriguez are against it. The Mayor even said it is a bad idea. The planning commission tabled the vote for further study. All while even more people in the community are coming out against it. The community is getting better organized. Just like with historic preservation, there is only so much the community will let people get away with in the Heights. There are thousands in the Heights who are dead set against the Walmart and the strip malls. Just look at how lousy leasing has been even with as good a location (save a big stupid Walmart) as you can get in Houston right now.

Whoa! Cohen and Rodriguez are against it! Wow! Cohen is a brown noser to the yuppie elites, and Rodriguez is a lap dog to Mayor Parker. They are both worthless. But, no matter. My presence here is not to apologize for Walmart. I rarely shop there, and will only go to this one when I need Target stuff, but don't want to pay Target prices. No, my real purpose here is to point out the falsehoods that you and RUDE continually post. You never back up your statements with anything. I just enjoy showing your dishonesty to the half dozen people that read this thread.

Toodles.

Whoa! Cohen and Rodriguez are against it! Wow! Cohen is a brown noser to the yuppie elites, and Rodriguez is a lap dog to Mayor Parker. They are both worthless. But, no matter. My presence here is not to apologize for Walmart. I rarely shop there, and will only go to this one when I need Target stuff, but don't want to pay Target prices. No, my real purpose here is to point out the falsehoods that you and RUDE continually post. You never back up your statements with anything. I just enjoy showing your dishonesty to the half dozen people that read this thread.

Toodles.

I like how he says you're delusional, then goes on to say that there is lousy leasing in "as good a location as you can get in Houston".

Maybe I am seeing things wrong, but if that was 'as good a location as you can get in Houston' why did it sit fallow as an empty brownfield for however many years? across the street from a strip mall with a hole in the wall bar that charged $5 for a lone star?

yeah, REALLY desirable, people were falling all over themselves to snatch up the property prior to ainbinder selling to walmart.

but you're the delusional one. lol

Edited by samagon

I like how he says you're delusional, then goes on to say that there is lousy leasing in "as good a location as you can get in Houston".

Maybe I am seeing things wrong, but if that was 'as good a location as you can get in Houston' why did it sit fallow as an empty brownfield for however many years? across the street from a strip mall with a hole in the wall bar that charged $5 for a lone star?

yeah, REALLY desirable, people were falling all over themselves to snatch up the property prior to ainbinder selling to walmart.

but you're the delusional one. lol

Yeah, you nailed it. It is a terrible location because nothing has changed along Washington Ave over the last ten years. And the Heights has been on a steep decline with no new residents in years. It is worse than South Houston. Rice Military hasn't seen any new construction in the past ten years. It is amazing that the developer was able to find a single tenant to build in the middle of the most depressed area in Houston that has not seen any progress for over a decade. But thank goodness for the miracle development. Maybe this will finally end the tailspin that the Heights/Washington corridor has been in over the past few years. Because real estate is always totally stagnant. Property is never affected by changing conditions in the area.

Yeah, you nailed it. It is a terrible location because nothing has changed along Washington Ave over the last ten years. And the Heights has been on a steep decline with no new residents in years. It is worse than South Houston. Rice Military hasn't seen any new construction in the past ten years. It is amazing that the developer was able to find a single tenant to build in the middle of the most depressed area in Houston that has not seen any progress for over a decade. But thank goodness for the miracle development. Maybe this will finally end the tailspin that the Heights/Washington corridor has been in over the past few years. Because real estate is always totally stagnant. Property is never affected by changing conditions in the area.

if you can't see the difference between the desirability of koehler street vs center street, it all makes sense why you're so hopelessly misinformed.

Load enforcement truck

While driving in this morning - I came to a funny realization as I crossed the bridge of death...the HPD load enforcement trucks which have been pulling over all the people like me who consistently flaunt the dangers of the bridge of death - are indeed over the limit of the bridges themselves.

Each load enforcement truck is a F350 or Chevy 3500 - both of which are 3/4 ton trucks, which are both over the load limit....so the bridge must not be as bad as its been made out to be b/c the very people we are paying to keep us evil doers like myself off the bridge - cross the bridge over and over and over again, in pursuit of a $200 ticket.

Just a thought. Double Standard? If its really that bad perhaps the police should not be crossing...just sayin...

While driving in this morning - I came to a funny realization as I crossed the bridge of death...the HPD load enforcement trucks which have been pulling over all the people like me who consistently flaunt the dangers of the bridge of death - are indeed over the limit of the bridges themselves.

Each load enforcement truck is a F350 or Chevy 3500 - both of which are 3/4 ton trucks, which are both over the load limit....so the bridge must not be as bad as its been made out to be b/c the very people we are paying to keep us evil doers like myself off the bridge - cross the bridge over and over and over again, in pursuit of a $200 ticket.

Just a thought. Double Standard? If its really that bad perhaps the police should not be crossing...just sayin...

lol.

you should cross it, and let them pull you over, then ask him for his ticket book, and fill one out for him.

Police always have different rules. Check out the parking in downtown on any given weekday.

Record their plates and phone it in. Government should set the example. I'm surprised they are not using a Prius for this. If your writing chicken-sh1t tickets based on the whining from RUDE, you should at the very least emerge from a high and mighty vehicle that complements your condescension.

Each load enforcement truck is a F350 or Chevy 3500 - both of which are 3/4 ton trucks, which are both over the load limit....so the bridge must not be as bad as its been made out to be b/c the very people we are paying to keep us evil doers like myself off the bridge -

The police go into a lot of unsafe situations to catch criminals. Speeding to catch a speeder, running red lights with their siren on, etc...

It doesn't mean that these are unrisky actions, but simply it is their job to take these risks to keep others safe.

I am hard pressed to believe that TXDOT and the effette are conspiring against your truck or the store.

The police go into a lot of unsafe situations to catch criminals. Speeding to catch a speeder, running red lights with their siren on, etc...

It doesn't mean that these are unrisky actions, but simply it is their job to take these risks to keep others safe.

I am hard pressed to believe that TXDOT and the effette are conspiring against your truck or the store.

It's not about police risking their lives to enforce the laws. That's a given.

It appears that the problem here is that they are breaking laws and endangering the lives of others in doing so.

It appears that the problem here is that they are breaking laws and endangering the lives of others in doing so.

How so? Is driving over a bridge with one's lights on any different than speeding with one's lights on.

Both are dangerous \ illegal activities that we allow the police to do in certain circumstances.

To date, there have been several bystandards killed in high speed chases, but none from a bridge patrol.

I really don't see any difference between a weight limit and speed limit. Both are designed such that any one modest violation will not end in certain death, but after a certain number of occurances it nears certain that something bad will happen.

Oh, well its much easier to think the big bad govments out to get me.

How so? Is driving over a bridge with one's lights on any different than speeding with one's lights on.

Both are dangerous \ illegal activities that we allow the police to do in certain circumstances.

To date, there have been several bystandards killed in high speed chases, but none from a bridge patrol.

I really don't see any difference between a weight limit and speed limit. Both are designed such that any one modest violation will not end in certain death, but after a certain number of occurances it nears certain that something bad will happen.

that's the beauty of rationalization, we all apply logic differently to fit the conclusions we want to draw.

I am no engineer, but I have a suspicion that the load limit is less of a "if you weigh this much you are in danger of falling in" and more of a "heavy vehicles are causing damage to the bridge" type risk, in which case its not really a "we police take risks in order to do our job, we dont care we might fall in!" and more of a "well part of our job to make sure this bridge stays safe causes a little bit of damage itself."

In which case it would depend how many heavy cars are kept off the bridge, minus the net effect of the police using the bridge themselves (which is probably negligible anyway)

I believe the point being made here is that if the bridge truly cannot handle the load, ANY heavy vehicle would cause the bridge to collapse, plunging those school children into the bayou. Police may be above the law, but they are not immune to the laws of physics. Of course, maybe this whole load conflagration is just a load (pun) of crap.

• Like 1

Of course, maybe this whole load conflagration is just a load (pun) of crap.

this is the part that really confuses me.

Do you honestly think TXDOT is out there under-rating bridges for the benefit of RUDH?

It is crazy talk.

Although, this is the first executive director since the legislature began allowing non-technical appointees.

http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/administration/executive-director.html

this is the part that really confuses me.

Do you honestly think TXDOT is out there under-rating bridges for the benefit of RUDH?

It is crazy talk.

Although, this is the first executive director since the legislature began allowing non-technical appointees.

http://www.txdot.gov...e-director.html

I've noticed that no one does anything for the benefit of RUDE. RUDE hasn't won a battle yet. However, TxDOT may have lowered the ratings in order to push the bridge funding up sooner. There is no way to know without someone admitting it. Or maybe RUDE could do a FOIA request for TxDOT emails.

It's not about police risking their lives to enforce the laws. That's a given.

Maybe the infrastructure can handle about 10 of these a day, but not hundreds. It would be unrealistic to set a limit on the number that can do it because there's no way to administer that. So they simply ban it and allow the police vehicles to do it while enforcing. Seems reasonable.

Maybe the infrastructure can handle about 10 of these a day, but not hundreds. It would be unrealistic to set a limit on the number that can do it because there's no way to administer that. So they simply ban it and allow the police vehicles to do it while enforcing. Seems reasonable.

This and what JJVX said is sound logic, and makes sense.

J008, not so much.

A tip on discussions/debate J008, don't use analogy to try and make/prove a point. No matter your intentions, it will never be read the same way you intended it to be read, and it will surely not add credence to your point in the discussion.

If RUDE was serious about stopping this Wal-Mart they would organize a sit-in on that bridge.

At least the Tower of Terror folks managed one last bang before they crawled back home to listen to Prairie Home Companion.

Edited by TGM
  • Like 1

The great news is that Wal-mart has already started to decline since their demographics and source of cheap products will soon be exhausted.

OMG! Not only are we running out of oil, but China is running out of people!

Meanwhile the boxes are stacking up high due to the great Yale Street bridge catastrophe of 2012.