Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

Sorry, my bad. Let me rephrase that:

Of course, if it were up to you, they'd be done because you are SATISFIED with what your tax dollars are buying.

Yes. If it were a questionnaire and there were ratings 1-5, 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest. I would select 3.

For their modifications to the streets, I would select 5.

Extending Koehler over to Heights was a brilliant stroke and it gets me closer to the i10 east entrance that much faster than forcing me to sit on the bridge of death as people drive into the Heights. I just hope people don't realize how easy it is to get from Yale over to Heights blvd via Koehler cause then I might have to drive back to Bass to get to the feeder, or even worse, go all the way back to Patterson. 

Actually,  yes you do get to decide if it was sarcasm or funny...this isn't elitist mentality - it is a fundamental right of civilized society. If we don't speak up for what it right then we descend into chaos & anarchy. Some things are truly right, truly sacred - making fun of handicappedpeople truly decends beyond the pale. I'm sure I'll get heavily burned for this, but frankly I find this antipathy & carelessness for those who have suffered so much already to be truly and heartlessly offensive. I find this specially offensive in regards to our military personnel who are returning from war with cruel & debilitating  injuries. I just returned today from dropping off one of our proud veterans from the VA hospital - frankly Redscare & SilverJK you disgust me!

I'm not sure what I did to disgust you, other than state that one person can't decide whether or not something is funny or sarcastic. 

I stated that I thought it was classless and told Leonard that I would agree that it is classless... which he then tried to use against me...  When I say that I would agree that it is classless, that means that I think it was classless.  I, ME, SILVERJK.  I think this.  (if Red thinks that is elitist of me, I'm fine with that and wouldn't argue, it is my opinion on the matter.) I wouldn't say it isn't funny, I would say I don't find it funny.  It is the difference of self awareness vs. perceived "group think" that in my opinion are the root of a lot of the issues that come up on this forum.

Please also remember... you don't know the story of the person behind the keyboard...  (although my avatar kinda gives away that I was a b-boy at one point...)

Edited by SilverJK

Since the 380 doesn't involve Walmart, you'll pardon us for not believing your statement that you wouldn't be discussing Walmart. The fact is, this is ALL about Walmart. The City pisses away millions of dollars daily. However, you and your RUDE friends have fixated on THIS 380 because it is the closest that you can get to complain about Walmart.

Not that I'm upset about it. I enjoy watching the faux outrage that you and s3mh spew. It amuses me. And, I don't mean that sarcastically. You really do amuse me!

Actually, at this point, the focus on Walmart is all but gone.  The RUDH facebook page has had very little about Walmart for the past year.  The facebook page with the "stopheightswalmart" address is gone.  The current facebook page is mostly stuff about urban development, issues on other developments in town and stuff about the 380 agreement and Yale St. bridge.  In fact, what is really happening is that the pro-Walmart folks have no good argument as to why it is ok for the 380 infrastructure work to come up short and are having to accuse the 380 critics of making the issue a pretext for Walmart.  Thus, the anti-Walmart group has actually moved on and are making constructive criticisms that are leading to real results for the community (Yale St. bridge funding, some of the Fox news issues are going to be addressed, etc.).  But the pro-Walmart group is stuck with their obsession over the anti-Walmart group and cannot see that there are some very real and obvious failures in building out the improvements.  Thus, it amuses me that you are so obsessed with what RUDH and others are doing that you cannot admit that the infrastructure work is not complete at this site. 

I believe that this thread is illustrative of who is obsessed over what. FWIW, I do not think that poking fun at the faux outrage of you and Leonard over your obsession with Walmart (see Leonard's posts #2951,3,5,7), caliper inches, and unfinished sidewalks qualifies as obsession. It may, however, qualify as taunting the mentally challenged, so perhaps I should lay off, lest mako get disgusted with me.

You may be wondering why I think this is faux outrage. Well, when a couple of liberals suddenly claim outrage at $6 million government spending (minor government spending at that), yet have no problems with trillion dollar deficits, massive entitlement programs or any of the other myriad gripes expressed by libertarians and Tea Partiers, it is a good bet that the outrage expressed is cover for something else. In this case, that would be hatred of Walmart, which is expressed throughout this thread by the two of you.

That is all.  ;)

http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?post=96788602-ad1c-46a7-b7f5-23416977b75e

And if you are against entitlements, Walmart, according to this article, increases food stamps and housing subsidies.

"That means a single Wal-Mart Supercenter store in Wisconsin may require taxpayers to shell out as much as $1.7 million per year -- or nearly $6,000 per employee -- in aid, according to one estimate in the report. A second estimate pegged the cost to taxpayers at a lower $904,542 per Supercenter."

I believe that this thread is illustrative of who is obsessed over what. FWIW, I do not think that poking fun at the faux outrage of you and Leonard over your obsession with Walmart (see Leonard's posts #2951,3,5,7), caliper inches, and unfinished sidewalks qualifies as obsession. It may, however, qualify as taunting the mentally challenged, so perhaps I should lay off, lest mako get disgusted with me.

You may be wondering why I think this is faux outrage. Well, when a couple of liberals suddenly claim outrage at $6 million government spending (minor government spending at that), yet have no problems with trillion dollar deficits, massive entitlement programs or any of the other myriad gripes expressed by libertarians and Tea Partiers, it is a good bet that the outrage expressed is cover for something else. In this case, that would be hatred of Walmart, which is expressed throughout this thread by the two of you.

That is all.   ;)

I have big problems with trillion dollar deficits.  The majority of the deficits are from unnecessary wars, a bloated defense department that does more to destablize the world that defend the United States, an un-funded medicare drug benefit that is nothing more than a wealth transfer to the pharmacuetical industry (could have saved billions by allowing the US gov't to negotiate prescription drug prices), tax breaks for the wealthiest 1% (15% cap gains is absurdly low), tax loopholes for billions in corporate taxes that are avoided by off-shoring and silly tax gifts to the energy industry and farm subsidies that are just wealth transfer payments to big AG to produce junk food and cheap meat instead of supporting healthy produce, which is not even eligible for crop insurance.  I am bothered by the solvency of medicare, but would fix it by nationalizing health insurance into a medicare for all program that would immediately save billions by eliminating the wasteful advertising budgets, corporate profits, bloated executive compensation of big insurance and would negotiate an end to the endless inflation in health care by making sure that all services are covered so providers do not have to overcharge one group in order to make up for non-payment or underpayment by another.  So,  unfortunately for you, the world is not such a simple place where you are either with the Tea Party or you are just suffering from irrational hatred for Walmart.  In fact, your obsession with the anti-Walmart folks is basically your frustration that the world does not fit into your neat little categories.  There are complicated issues out there that require more than name calling and selfserving presumptions of bad intent. 

So,  unfortunately for you, the world is not such a simple place where you are either with the Tea Party or you are just suffering from irrational hatred for Walmart.  In fact, your obsession with the anti-Walmart folks is basically your frustration that the world does not fit into your neat little categories.  There are complicated issues out there that require more than name calling and selfserving presumptions of bad intent. 

No, actually, some parts of the world really are as simple as they seem. Your posts have made it clear that you are a flaming liberal in all things, including hating Walmart. You are consistent across all subject matter. This 380 gripe is simply a red herring. Your posts at the end of this thread are undercut by your posts at the beginning of this thread. Which is fine. You are entitled to hate Walmart. You simply run the risk that no one takes you seriously on anything else.

Now, the really funny part is your attempts at pigeonholing me. Because the overwhelming majority of my posts on this thread are mocking the Walmart haters, it is impossible for you to accurately label me. I and those who know me laugh at your attempts to do so. This is why I keep coming back to this thread, for the entertainment value.

JJxvi, good question. I think the hydrant in the Channel 26 video is on Koehler like between the bank and the Walmart entrance.  There are other hydrants in the sidewalk in that area, and I think that you are right that Orr has at least one.  Orr's might be ADA compliant, though. 

I'm not sure what I did to disgust you, other than state that one person can't decide whether or not something is funny or sarcastic. 

I stated that I thought it was classless and told Leonard that I would agree that it is classless... which he then tried to use against me...  When I say that I would agree that it is classless, that means that I think it was classless.  I, ME, SILVERJK.  I think this.  (if Red thinks that is elitist of me, I'm fine with that and wouldn't argue, it is my opinion on the matter.) I wouldn't say it isn't funny, I would say I don't find it funny.  It is the difference of self awareness vs. perceived "group think" that in my opinion are the root of a lot of the issues that come up on this forum.

Please also remember... you don't know the story of the person behind the keyboard...  (although my avatar kinda gives away that I was a b-boy at one point...)

My apologies SilverJK, I misunderstood what you were saying. My only excuse is a rather emotional trip to the VA hospital earlier that day - lots of young guys whose lives are forever changed mixed in with the old guys like my father-in-law. But as I reread your post I see you weren't really supporting Red's rant and it seems he wasn't either - just mouthing off in poor taste.

Ahh, nice jump to a conclusion, mako. You'll fit in well here. I see that you've been a member all of 3 days, so you don't know the back story to this thread. I wouldn't dare waste any time trying to explain it to you. Your post sounds like you'd rather jump in without knowing anything and begin demagogueing, just like my other two favorite posters. Well, if that is what turns your crank, prepare to be infuriated, because I love nothing more than annoying those who take themselves too seriously.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Be sure to follow me around as I engage in my own delightful brand of sarcasm/non-sarcasm/humor/non-humor/troll/non-troll/baiting/non-baiting. It may not be funny, but it is damned entertaining! Who knows, once you read my more than 13,000 posts, you may actually figure me out...but, I doubt it, as I don't think you'd actually spend the time to get it right before jumping to conclusions. Cuz we all know jumping to conclusions is more fun! Almost as much fun as making fun of cripples!

Thanks, me-thinks that's what blogs are for. You've got to admit your statement was pretty trashy at face value. Your post sounds like you'll throw out any kind of wild inflammatory statement with little or no basis in reality-land just to stir up trouble and begin demagoguing  about others doing what you try to do so well.

No I'm not going to dig through your massive backlog of posts - I'm pretty sure the 1-month sampling I've read through on topics that interest me have given me a very good idea of the type of (faux?) misanthropic ranting I can expect from you. As you said, most entertaining, thank you very much! :wacko: - almost as entertaining as this smiley bar!

I have big problems with trillion dollar deficits.  The majority of the deficits are from unnecessary wars, a bloated defense department that does more to destablize the world that defend the United States, an un-funded medicare drug benefit that is nothing more than a wealth transfer to the pharmacuetical industry (could have saved billions by allowing the US gov't to negotiate prescription drug prices), tax breaks for the wealthiest 1% (15% cap gains is absurdly low), tax loopholes for billions in corporate taxes that are avoided by off-shoring and silly tax gifts to the energy industry and farm subsidies that are just wealth transfer payments to big AG to produce junk food and cheap meat instead of supporting healthy produce, which is not even eligible for crop insurance.  I am bothered by the solvency of medicare, but would fix it by nationalizing health insurance into a medicare for all program that would immediately save billions by eliminating the wasteful advertising budgets, corporate profits, bloated executive compensation of big insurance and would negotiate an end to the endless inflation in health care by making sure that all services are covered so providers do not have to overcharge one group in order to make up for non-payment or underpayment by another.  So,  unfortunately for you, the world is not such a simple place where you are either with the Tea Party or you are just suffering from irrational hatred for Walmart.  In fact, your obsession with the anti-Walmart folks is basically your frustration that the world does not fit into your neat little categories.  There are complicated issues out there that require more than name calling and selfserving presumptions of bad intent. 

You do realize that capital gains, are gains on income that has already been taxed once at the marginal rate, right?  I make $100 at my day job and I pay $39.6 to the government and get to keep $61.4...from that I take $50 and re-invest so that I wont be on welfare later in life....more than 1 year later (yes 1 whole year) I that $50 is worth $100 b/c I'm not an idiot, and when I want to take that $100 and move it to another smart investment, I now get to pay another 20% in capital gains (that was changed from 15%)...so my original $100 has now been taxed to the tune of $39.60 (regular income) + $10 (capital gains $50 basis, $50 gain)....so I have paid $49.60 on $100 - that is nearly 50%...

$100 Oridinary income - $39.60 taxes, $61.4 remaining (this ignores SS, & medicare & employer payroll taxes)

$50 reinvested, $50 gain  - $10 capital gains Taxes

Total cash remaining after all  taxes paid $101.40

Total paid in Taxes $49.60, effective tax rate of this person 48.9%  and of that $101.4, 50% was at risk of total loss AND untouchable for a whole year..but thats too low!?  When SS & Medicare are factored in the effective tax rate easily tops 50%, but you love listening to the lame stream media & Warren Buffett and the whole BS surrounding the I pay less than my secretary argument.

Raising the capital gains rate only accomplishes one thing - it reduces the incentive for people to save/reinvest & increases the likelihood of future government

dependence...which is exactly what liberals want....We should not be raising capital gains taxes, we should be abolishing them all together to encourage savings.

We don't need government insurance either - just allow employers, & trade groups to join up and buy insurance across state lines...imagine the National Association of Manufactures, Realtors, Nurses, all being able to group together with their industry to buy health care in bulk volume... competition will solve the problem...only thing is the lobbyists, all loyal democrats, have effectively shut that down too b/c the end game has always been government care & government control. 

I wont start into how wrong you are on food/agriculture, something I am involved in daily - but suffice it to say, very little in your post shows any real grasp at all about economics, taxes, or even basic understanding of what has taken place to get us where we are.

100 pages on this thread, and nobody is any closer to convincing the other side that they're right.  Or wrong.  Or whatever.  I'm confused.  Just as confused as 2979 posts ago.  What were we talking about again?

Hey look, a Wally-world!

Where is the person who removes off topic/boring posts?

Be careful what you ask for. The Walmart topic ended months ago. Now, it is crying about 380s and bridges of death. If you demand that off topic posts get deleted you'll probably end up with a closed thread. Where would you complain about caliper inches then?

You do realize that capital gains, are gains on income that has already been taxed once at the marginal rate, right?  I make $100 at my day job and I pay $39.6 to the government and get to keep $61.4...from that I take $50 and re-invest so that I wont be on welfare later in life....more than 1 year later (yes 1 whole year) I that $50 is worth $100 b/c I'm not an idiot, and when I want to take that $100 and move it to another smart investment, I now get to pay another 20% in capital gains (that was changed from 15%)...so my original $100 has now been taxed to the tune of $39.60 (regular income) + $10 (capital gains $50 basis, $50 gain)....so I have paid $49.60 on $100 - that is nearly 50%...

No, you had $150 of income, not $100.

The latest round of comments was set off by the Channel 26 report on the infrastructure surrounding the Walmart/Ainbinder development.  I think that topic is relevant.  Marksmu's vision of a National Association of Manufactures, Nurses and Realtors?  Not so much. 

Facts?  Where? 

Perhaps you missed the long post you declared boring.  It was full of facts on Taxes.

Fact - top tax rate is 39.6%

Fact - capital gains rate 20%

Fact - 1 year minimum investment period to claim capital gains

Fact - Govt prevents groups employers from grouping up to leverage buying power against insurance agencies

That is a multitude of facts....perhaps you should put the calipers down and brush up on reading comprehension?

$100 Oridinary income - $39.60 taxes, $61.4 remaining (this ignores SS, & medicare & employer payroll taxes)

$50 reinvested, $50 gain  - $10 capital gains Taxes

Total cash remaining after all  taxes paid $101.40

Total paid in Taxes $49.60, effective tax rate of this person 48.9%  and of that $101.4, 50% was at risk of total loss AND untouchable for a whole year..but thats too low!?  When SS & Medicare are factored in the effective tax rate easily tops 50%, but you love listening to the lame stream media & Warren Buffett and the whole BS surrounding the I pay less than my secretary argument.

Raising the capital gains rate only accomplishes one thing - it reduces the incentive for people to save/reinvest & increases the likelihood of future government

dependence...which is exactly what liberals want....We should not be raising capital gains taxes, we should be abolishing them all together to encourage savings.

We don't need government insurance either - just allow employers, & trade groups to join up and buy insurance across state lines...imagine the National Association of Manufactures, Realtors, Nurses, all being able to group together with their industry to buy health care in bulk volume... competition will solve the problem...only thing is the lobbyists, all loyal democrats, have effectively shut that down too b/c the end game has always been government care & government control. 

I wont start into how wrong you are on food/agriculture, something I am involved in daily - but suffice it to say, very little in your post shows any real grasp at all about economics, taxes, or even basic understanding of what has taken place to get us where we are.

I was just showing that it was not necessary to be aligned with the Tea Party/libertarians in order to be concerned over government spending.  I knew you would freak out, but it was worth it to make the simple point that the world is not divided into Tea Party/libertarians and free spending liberals.  You can have very liberal view points and still be concerned about government spending.  I will agree to disagree on those issues, but not on the claim that only Tea Party/libertarians can be concerned about the 380 agreement and liberals concern is nothing more than a pretext for their hate for Walmart.

No, you had $150 of income, not $100.

I agree but your take home is still only $101.40 after taxes.

I put it in numbers so it was clear...

$100 W2 Income

$50 capital gains.

$150 total "income" but the $50 was on after tax income - in other words, the basis for the second $50 of income was $50 of after tax dollars.

I understand your point, but my point is clear- to net $101, you will pay $49.6, everything else is just semantics.

When I get time I'll try to split the topic into Walmart and non-Walmart.  Maybe another topic just for the insult posts. 

All these topics merge seamlessly...this thread has got to drive alot of traffic - its the one thread in all of the forums that I frequent that I keep coming back to....

Its a great topic its full of everything!

Perhaps you missed the long post you declared boring.  It was full of facts on Taxes.

Fact - top tax rate is 39.6%

Fact - capital gains rate 20%

Fact - 1 year minimum investment period to claim capital gains

Fact - Govt prevents groups employers from grouping up to leverage buying power against insurance agencies

That is a multitude of facts....perhaps you should put the calipers down and brush up on reading comprehension?

Why are you so worried about "being on welfare later" if you're in the top tax bracket? Only the top bracket pays 20%, everyone else 15%. That is, people making over $400,000 a year.

Edited by kylejack