Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

You really haven't been debating me. I don't care. I am fine with the City executing 380s with developers. I didn't read it because no one paid me to read it. And now you are mad that I didn't care enough to read a document that I do not care about? Priceless!

Ignorance is bliss.  Why risk educating yourself about a subject and making an informed and objective judgment on the merits when you can just fall on your ingorant prejudices against people in the Heights who are outspoken about the development of their community. 

Ahh, here we go. Because I do not agree with your lame hatred of Walmart, it must be because I am ignorant, and because I don't like enlightened people like yourselves. And, of course, Leonard must go with the "lawyers suck" meme. Knock yourselves out. The Walmart stays, the 380 stays, and you two are the only readers of the RUDE website, but I'm the ignorant one? Right.

ignorant = uninformed. You are uninformed about the 380 because you haven't read it.

How about doing us ignoramuses a favor by creating an Audible version of the document? Maybe you can get James Lipton to narrate it with full dramatic effect.

Uninformed about specific clauses perhaps. As for the purpose of the 380, and whether I agree with that purpose, I am well informed, and approve of it. Just because you are upset that I do not agree with your pettiness regarding the 380, doesn't mean I am ignorant of it.

Heard a Walmart ad on the radio today and they specifically mention being on location at the Heights Walmart. First time I've ever heard or seen a Walmart ad specifically mention a particular store like that. Maybe RUDH caught the attention of Walmart's advertising dept?

Heard a Walmart ad on the radio today and they specifically mention being on location at the Heights Walmart. First time I've ever heard or seen a Walmart ad specifically mention a particular store like that. Maybe RUDH caught the attention of Walmart's advertising dept?

They have had a Heights specific radio campaign for a while now.  It has been directed at Kroger.  The ads have "Heights Moms" who allegedly have comparison shopped between Walmart and Kroger.  At the end of the ad, there is a disclaimer that the "Heights Moms" have been compensated.  Looks like Walmart isn't getting the kind of grocery sales they wanted.

They have had a Heights specific radio campaign for a while now. It has been directed at Kroger. The ads have "Heights Moms" who allegedly have comparison shopped between Walmart and Kroger. At the end of the ad, there is a disclaimer that the "Heights Moms" have been compensated. Looks like Walmart isn't getting the kind of grocery sales they wanted.

Hopefully the ad campaign will expand awareness of the Walmart there and draw in crowds from further out.

They have had a Heights specific radio campaign for a while now. It has been directed at Kroger. The ads have "Heights Moms" who allegedly have comparison shopped between Walmart and Kroger. At the end of the ad, there is a disclaimer that the "Heights Moms" have been compensated. Looks like Walmart isn't getting the kind of grocery sales they wanted.

Why would you deduce that? Advertising means you sales aren't panning out? I'm pretty sure they were going to run an ad campaign no matter what.

Why would you deduce that? Advertising means you sales aren't panning out? I'm pretty sure they were going to run an ad campaign no matter what.

He is desperate for Walmart not to do well. His entire being is dependent upon this single big box store failing, so that he can believe that the Heights is somehow different than everywhere else. Even if it is successful, he will claim it isn't, lest his raison d'être be extinguished. 

He is in a very precarious position.

Walmart rarely does store specific radio advertising.  I had never heard one until the Heights Walmart ads. 

Radio ads are expensive.  If sales were good at the Heights location, Walmart would not invest in the advertising.  They would just do their usual print fliers.  There is no company in the world that is more cost conscious that Walmart.  They are cost conscious to a fault.  It is not at all a stretch to conclude that the ad campaign has been prompted by poor sales. 

The good news is that for those of us interested in facts is that we should be able to ask the City for the sales tax numbers for this Walmart once they start paying off the 380.  We already have the projected numbers (high and low).  That will give us an idea of how well the Walmart is performing. 

Walmart rarely does store specific radio advertising.  I had never heard one until the Heights Walmart ads. 

Radio ads are expensive.  If sales were good at the Heights location, Walmart would not invest in the advertising.  They would just do their usual print fliers.  There is no company in the world that is more cost conscious that Walmart.  They are cost conscious to a fault.  It is not at all a stretch to conclude that the ad campaign has been prompted by poor sales. 

I have recently heard the Pearland walmart ad, the Heights Walmart Ad, a Kingwood Walmart ad, and a Spring walmart ad.....so while you may THINK that they don't do location specific  ads you would be wrong...in fact I cant remember the last time I heard a generic one....I believe the entire new campaign is local.

Even the TV add says where they are - Hi were here with XXXXXX from YYYYY who normally shops at Krogers to see how much she could be saving on the same products at Walmart....

Edited by Marksmu

Here's my two cents, which I admit are simply my perspective.  I live in Montrose.  I used to shop at Target, but I recently made the decision to only go to Walmart from now on.  For most Saturday errands, I was going to Target first, and then having to go to Walmart as well b/c Target didn't have everything that I needed.  And then I would kick myself b/c I would see that the things that I had purchased at Target were cheaper at Walmart (Walmart saves me trips to Home Depot as well).  I would also say that the area around Walmart is much nicer than it was three years ago, and nicer than the area around Target.  

I don't know about the 380 agreement, or the bridge, or whether the area became nice b/c of the Walmart or in spite of the Walmart.  None of that matters to me -- I'm just happy to have the Walmart there.  

Here's my two cents, which I admit are simply my perspective. I live in Montrose. I used to shop at Target, but I recently made the decision to only go to Walmart from now on. For most Saturday errands, I was going to Target first, and then having to go to Walmart as well b/c Target didn't have everything that I needed. And then I would kick myself b/c I would see that the things that I had purchased at Target were cheaper at Walmart (Walmart saves me trips to Home Depot as well).

That's what more and more people inside the loop are going to find. If Walmart carries an item, it will almost always be as cheap or cheaper than the same item elsewhere, even at other big-box stores. Same thing happens with Academy vs REI for sporting goods. This only bodes well for Walmart.

Heh heh. Want to know how I know that you just made this entire post up? Two reasons. One, Walmart is currently running a store specific ad campaign. They do it for a lot of different stores. Two, radio ads are NOT expensive, especially for the #1 largest corporation in the world. You made up this entire post to make it sound like you know something, when in reality, you know nothing...and guessed wrong.

Heh heh. Want to know how I know that you just made this entire post up? Two reasons. One, Walmart is currently running a store specific ad campaign. They do it for a lot of different stores. Two, radio ads are NOT expensive, especially for the #1 largest corporation in the world. You made up this entire post to make it sound like you know something, when in reality, you know nothing...and guessed wrong.

Ditto for all the diatribes, clearly a case of grandiosity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandiosity

Hiring enough minimum wage employees to keep the shelves stocked is not expensive, especially for the largest retailer in the world (not the largest corporation in the world, Royal Dutch Shell and Chinese banks are larger).  But Walmart is such a penny pincher that they actually lost sales because they skimped so much on labor costs that they did not have enough people to keep shelves stocked.  Radio ads are expensive compared to the cost of an extra few minimum wage workers.  But you think that your beloved Walmart could not possibly be anything other than a runaway success in the Houston market and cannot stand the fact that they are sweating the competition from Kroger in a big way, and confirming my original opinion that the Walmart is just there to try to take market share (originally Target, but now Kroger is much more in play with their Studewood store). 

I refer you back to post 3096.

I think you and Leonard may be losing it. All this drama over an already built Walmart and a nasty sycamore tree has you two getting more and more shrill. Perhaps you should go to a locally owned restaurant outside the Heights, order an alcoholic beverage, and relax. The Walmart will still be here when you get back. 

Unfortunately, the sycamore will still be gone.

Edited by RedScare

By the way, belated congratulations to all for zooming past the 3000 post barrier on this thread with no signs of slowing down.  I have a high degree of confidence that you will be able to exceed 5000 by the end of next week at the current pace.

All this talk. Yet, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that actually lives near the Wal Mart, and whatever feelings someone has towards Wal Mart, the rest of the development is nice to have in the neighborhood. Convenient dry cleaners, restaurants, starbucks, and of course 2 AM Taco C.

This thread (and anything related to do with a Historic District) is why no one can stand Heights residents, y'all are the worst with your champagne problems. Oh no, the Wal Mart, or oh no, I can't tear down my home to build a lot line home, NAZIS! 

Leonard -- that HEB is in a neighborhood.  This Walmart was built on a toxic dump.  If you want to build your home immediately adjacent to a heavily industrialized toxic dump, with heavy rail going through it to boot, don't complain when a Walmart spruces up the area.  (I would not have wanted the Target built at Dunlavy either, but again, the Target was built in the middle of factories, warehouses, and a heavy recycling center.)

Edited by htownproud

Leonard -- that HEB is in a neighborhood.  This Walmart was built on a toxic dump.  If you want to build your home immediately adjacent to a heavily industrialized toxic dump, with heavy rail going through it to boot, don't complain when a Walmart spruces up the area.  (I would not have wanted the Target built at Dunlavy either, but again, the Target was built in the middle of factories, warehouses, and a heavy recycling center.)

htown - are you saying that Montrose is too good for a Walmart?  Are you saying that Walmarts should only be built on toxic dumps?  Would you have been against the Walmart if they had planned to build on Dunlavy? 

Isn't this Walmart south of I-10?  Isn't the Heights north of I-10?  Isn't I-10 enough of a view block?  Can anyone who lives in the Heights actually see this Walmart from their house?  Is the Heights too good to have a Walmart nearby, not even within it's boundries, but just nearby?

• Like 1