Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

Isn't this Walmart south of I-10? Isn't the Heights north of I-10? Isn't I-10 enough of a view block? Can anyone who lives in the Heights actually see this Walmart from their house? Is the Heights too good to have a Walmart nearby, not even within it's boundries, but just nearby?

It's a common misconception that the Heights refers to altitude. It actually refers to residents heightened sense of pretentiousness.

It is also well known that all Walmarts exude an aura that extends at least six blocks from the actual location. That activated the "Heightened" pretense sense.

• Like 2

august, I think everyone on this thread knows where Walmart is. 

My objection is to the 380.  If Mayor Parker had given a 380 to build a Walmart in Montrose, I would object to that.  Of course, then I would probably be calling her former Mayor Parker.

Isn't this Walmart south of I-10?  Isn't the Heights north of I-10?  Isn't I-10 enough of a view block?  Can anyone who lives in the Heights actually see this Walmart from their house?  Is the Heights too good to have a Walmart nearby, not even within it's boundries, but just nearby?

I agree wholeheartedly - the Wal-Mart is almost perfectly located to suit my tastes. Just on the other side of I-10 where I don't see it, but close enough to walk to. I just wish TXDOT would turn on the crossing lights on the I-10 & Yale intersection. I'm even more fond of the smattering of little restaurants even if they are chains / mini-chains and am especially looking forward to the new grocery going in right across I-10. Better than a massive empty weedy lot any day. And if they finally get around to turning the retention ponds into a park and extending the bicycle path to Wal-Mart somehow I'll be approaching Nirvana. Even the TC mid-rise will look better.

august, I think everyone on this thread knows where Walmart is. 

My objection is to the 380.  If Mayor Parker had given a 380 to build a Walmart in Montrose, I would object to that.  Of course, then I would probably be calling her former Mayor Parker.

According to Google Maps, the Walmart at 111 Yale is 2.3 miles from it to the intersection of Yale and 20th.  However, it is only 2.1 miles from the Walmart to the intersection of Westheimer and Montrose.  The Walmart was built on industrial land and serves both neighborhoods.  Why aren't the residents of Montrose up in arms?

According to Google Maps, the Walmart at 111 Yale is 2.3 miles from it to the intersection of Yale and 20th.  However, it is only 2.1 miles from the Walmart to the intersection of Westheimer and Montrose.  The Walmart was built on industrial land and serves both neighborhoods.  Why aren't the residents of Montrose up in arms?

Same reason the overwhelming majority of Heights residents are not up in arms. It is a non-issue. Just because a couple of Heights residents whine about it doesn't mean all of us do.

Same reason the overwhelming majority of Heights residents are not up in arms. It is a non-issue. Just because a couple of Heights residents whine about it doesn't mean all of us do.

Recently there have been alot of very snobby, liberal know it all hypocrites, ruining the reputation of the Heights....we are rapidly becoming, if we have not already become the snotty, snobby, whiney, brothers kid that everyone makes fun of.

1.  It is on the best route out of the neighborhood that does not have a rail road crossing at grade.

2.  Many of the anti-Walmart leaders were from the West End, not the Heights.  The guy who started the facebook page lived just behind the Walmart.

3.  Just what the hell are the boundaries for Montrose, anyway?

4.  As noted above, Montrose got a beautiful HEB and is just as close to retail development south of 59.  For the Heights, there is very little retail development in the area by comparison to the areas from Rice Village up to W. Gray.  The Walmart property was our best chance to see some comparable development.

5.  Who said that people in Montrose weren't against Walmart?  I saw lots of posts from people in Montrose on the anti-Walmart facebook page.

Recently there have been alot of very snobby, liberal know it all hypocrites, ruining the reputation of the Heights....we are rapidly becoming, if we have not already become the snotty, snobby, whiney, brothers kid that everyone makes fun of.

you make fun of your nieces and nephews?

1.  It is on the best route out of the neighborhood that does not have a rail road crossing at grade.

2.  Many of the anti-Walmart leaders were from the West End, not the Heights.  The guy who started the facebook page lived just behind the Walmart.

4.  As noted above, Montrose got a beautiful HEB and is just as close to retail development south of 59.  For the Heights, there is very little retail development in the area by comparison to the areas from Rice Village up to W. Gray.  The Walmart property was our best chance to see some comparable development.

5.  Who said that people in Montrose weren't against Walmart?  I saw lots of posts from people in Montrose on the anti-Walmart facebook page.

It really depends on the type of retail you're talking about. in the Heights, you're far closer to all the action going on at the airline markets.

So...   You like HEB, you hate walmart, and because of this you wanted to control what went into a parcel of land that is likely over a mile away from you, in another neighborhood, on the other side of I-10, strictly on your personal preferences.   wow. 

Whatever s3mh's motivations are, the 380 stinks.

It didn't get better development, the development is substandard and even illegal, even if no one on HAIF can see the fire hydrant in the middle of the sidewalk.  They completely removed a sidewalk, even though the sidewalk was in the approved plans and the 380 was marketed as making the sidewalks and trees better.  It did not. 

I agree with htownproud that HEB is ok for neighborhoods and Walmart isn't. 

Most people looking at the Dunlavy HEB and the Yale Walmart would choose the Dunlay HEB for their neighbor.  HEB actually saved a lot of huge trees.  If Walmart had built there, it's doubtful there would be a single huge tree left on that lot.  There was no 380 for the Dunlavy HEB.  HEB is a better neighbor than Walmart. 

It didn't get better development, the development is substandard and even I agree with htownproud that HEB is ok for neighborhoods and Walmart isn't.

Most people looking at the Dunlavy HEB and the Yale Walmart would choose the Dunlay HEB for their neighbor. HEB actually saved a lot of huge trees. If Walmart had built there, it's doubtful there would be a single huge tree left on that lot. There was no 380 for the Dunlavy HEB. HEB is a better neighbor than Walmart.

So where is a Walmart ok, then? Not in your neighborhood, obviously, though technically it's not actually in the Heights. Does it need to be 1 mile away, 2 miles away, 10 miles away? But even then, it will be in somebody's neighborhood. Maybe it's an income and house price thing? Should Walmarts only be built in much poorer and less classy neighborhoods than yours? Maybe they should be only built in the middle of the fields out on the Katy prairie at a specified distance from any houses or neighborhoods?

It really depends on the type of retail you're talking about. in the Heights, you're far closer to all the action going on at the airline markets.

The type of retail that is desired by the neighborhood's demographics.  With a few exceptions, the Airline markets are generally serving a Spanish speaking lower/middle class demographic that has largerly moved out of the Heights. 

I don't live in the Heights, and I don't really care what stereotypes you have about people that live there or about anyone, but I do live closer to the Walmart than Westchase. 

My point is that the HEB is better than the Walmart, and denigrating someone because they would prefer a better store to a worse one is lame.  Just because the majority of the people posting on this thread prefer lousy stuff to good stuff doesn't really mean anything.  Just because the majority of people here think sidewalks and trees are bad doesn't make it so. 

I really don't care that much about the Walmart - the Mayor and developer said they would have built it with or without the 380.  They should have built it without the 380.  The 380 did not make it better.

it's the taxpayer giveaway that concerns me.  I don't like the Kroger or HEB 380's either.  But I don't think they would exist without the Ainbinder 380. 

So...   You like HEB, you hate walmart, and because of this you wanted to control what went into a parcel of land that is likely over a mile away from you, in another neighborhood, on the other side of I-10, strictly on your personal preferences.   wow. 

Yeah.  It has always just been about HEB instead of Walmart and my personal preferences.  It had nothing to do with the fact that a mixed use development would have generated way more in property tax revenue, would have done way more to move up property values in the West End (development would have taken place because of the new development instead of inspite of the new development), and nothing to do with the undeniable need for more housing (net gain of only @100-150 units over @35 acres including all the various parcels) and wanting what everyone else in Houston is getting (City Centre, Post Oak on W. Gray, West Ave, Regent Square, etc.) instead of the FM 1960ification of the Heights.  The real "wow" is that Houston is such a dynamic and fast growing city, but people actually look at a dead end development like this Walmart and fail to see the obvious negatives.  But, that is to be expected from those who have just gone a long for the development ride with Houston and are happy with the slogan "Houston:  You should have seen it ten years ago". 

Yes, the Walmart is one of the lowest uses of property - it's mostly parking lot, which doesn't generate a lot of taxes (just a lot of run-off). 

Contrary to what the Request for Council Action says, the 380 reimburses all the property taxes, even the amount paid before the Walmart was built. 

The City will be getting around $150K less in property taxes per year due to the 380 until it is paid off. 

The City still seems clueless that the interest rate is 10% if paid over time (it's releasing documents that say it's 4.25% - less than half the actual rate.)  But reading contracts is hard, and some lawyers just like to skim them - you know, just get the gist - details like interest rates are beneath them. 

Just because the majority of the people posting on this thread are ok with their government lying to them and being stupid doesn't make it right. 

My point is that the HEB is better than the Walmart, and denigrating someone because they would prefer a better store to a worse one is lame. Just because the majority of the people posting on this thread prefer lousy stuff to good stuff doesn't really mean anything. Just because the majority of people here think sidewalks and trees are bad doesn't make it so.

Now there's a comment rich in condescension.

So where is a Walmart ok, then? Not in your neighborhood, obviously, though technically it's not actually in the Heights. Does it need to be 1 mile away, 2 miles away, 10 miles away? But even then, it will be in somebody's neighborhood. Maybe it's an income and house price thing? Should Walmarts only be built in much poorer and less classy neighborhoods than yours? Maybe they should be only built in the middle of the fields out on the Katy prairie at a specified distance from any houses or neighborhoods?

Thanks for the softball.  How about 3.4 miles?  Or 5.4 miles (mostly freeway)?  The Walmart on Crosstimbers is in an appropriate location.  Tons of access.  4 lane roads on the side and back of the development.  The front of the development shares a drive with a large retail development that fronts the feeder.  Does not directly abut residential development.  Tons of pre-existing retail development.  Silber is a little more of a shoehorn fit, but far better than Yale St.  Also does not directly abut residential development.  Traffic on Silber is light compared to Yale St.  Not as critical an artery for commuters.  So, why in a city that is grown by leaps and bounds do you pile on tax dollars to get an extra Walmart when residential, retail and other uses are sorely needed inside the loop? 

None of the pro-Walmart people have posted (I could have missed it somewhere in these 3K + posts) that they are concerned that the sidewalk was removed - even though it was on the approved plans. 

None of the pro-Walmart people are at all concerned that Walmart converted over 250 caliper inches of public trees to their property (at least I don't recall any posts like this). 

None of the pro-Walmart people can even see the hydrant in the sidewalk (again, I could have missed this post). 

Thanks for the softball. How about 3.4 miles? Or 5.4 miles (mostly freeway)? The Walmart on Crosstimbers is in an appropriate location. Tons of access. 4 lane roads on the side and back of the development. The front of the development shares a drive with a large retail development that fronts the feeder. Does not directly abut residential development. Tons of pre-existing retail development. Silber is a little more of a shoehorn fit, but far better than Yale St. Also does not directly abut residential development. Traffic on Silber is light compared to Yale St. Not as critical an artery for commuters. So, why in a city that is grown by leaps and bounds do you pile on tax dollars to get an extra Walmart when residential, retail and other uses are sorely needed inside the loop?

You're welcome.

Last time I checked, there was quite a bit of residential, retail and other uses of land inside the loop. Some of these are unique to the city (museum district, theater district, TMC, etc.) What's sorely missing are some big-box stores where residents can get lower prices and greater selection. To do that they didn't pave over Memorial Park or Rice Village, they developed previously industrial land.

In my opinion, the pro-Walmart people are acting entitled. 

They don't care that sidewalks and trees were destroyed, as long as they got their Walmart. 

They don't care that Parker lied on the radio about the 380 being interest-free, as long as they got their Walmart. 

They don't care that the Request for Council Action was full of lies, as long as they got their Walmart. 

They don't care that the City is going to reimburse Ainbinder $140K plus interest for paint and balusters on a bridge that is scheduled to be demolished, as long as they got their Walmart. 

They don't care that the City either continues to lie about, or does not understand the interest rate - it's more than twice what they say it is, as long as they got their Walmart.

They don't care that Parker and Ainbinder said they would have built with or without the 380, as long as they got their Walmart. 

You're welcome.

Last time I checked, there was quite a bit of residential, retail and other uses of land inside the loop. Some of these are unique to the city (museum district, theater district, TMC, etc.) What's sorely missing are some big-box stores where residents can get lower prices and greater selection. To do that they didn't pave over Memorial Park or Rice Village, they developed previously industrial land.

Did you read my post?  Big box stores are not sorely missing.  There are now three Walmarts within a 3-4 mile radius of most of the Heights. 

And you completely miss the point and fall back on the old tired argument that no criticism can be made when the previous use of the land was industrial.  The fact of the matter is that the land involved represented a once in a life time opportunity for the area.  @ 35 acres of land were available for redevelopment.  That is about 10 acres more than Regent Square is using.  But, instead of building that property up with housing, office, hotel and retail, a large part of it will just be parking spaces.  The rest will be big box retail and strip mall retail.  Only 280 units of residential when @100 were demoed by Ainbinder and 30 rental houses are going to be demoed by the Yale St Market developers.  With 35 acres, you could have easily put in 500-750 units of housing in addition to office, retail etc.  But, everywhere else in town gets the good stuff, but the Heights gets the junk.  Sure, in 2008 when the market crashed, strip malls seemed like a great way to cash out on that property.  But, in 2013, it is now clear that it was a huge opportunity lost for the area.  Now, developers are prowling the Heights looking for any little strip of land to put up multifamily when @30 acres were wasted on trying to making Houston's urban core more like the suburbs. 

• Like 1

So?  It's true. 

In the words of The Dude...

That is just like... your opinion man.

Also... I'm not sure if there are more than 2 Pro-walmart people.  I not a big fan of walmart, but what bothers me is someone coming in late and trying to block a perfectly legal development from happening, just because they don't like a store (use all your silly add-ons here that are repeatedily brought up).  It is simply this... people think they are too good to have a walmart in the neighborhood accross the interstate from them.   Could you just not afford West University?  = ]

Also... I'm not sure if there are more than 2 Pro-walmart people.  I not a big fan of walmart, but what bothers me is someone coming in late and trying to block a perfectly legal development from happening, just because they don't like a store (use all your silly add-ons here that are repeatedily brought up).  It is simply this... people think they are too good to have a walmart in the neighborhood accross the interstate from them.   Could you just not afford West University?  = ]

This.

I am no big Walmart supporter. I am simply opposed to people opposing Walmart simply because it is based in Arkansas as opposed to Minneapolis. Plus, I enjoy exposing the hypocrisy of the Walmart haters.