Alabama Shepherd Shopping Center At 2922 South Shepherd Dr.

kylejack

Instead of TJ's, it's time to recruit Aldi's. Those grocery stores are so cheap and efficient. Very nice. I hope they expand into Houston soon, like they have in DFW.

From the reviews I've read, Aldi stores in the U.S. mainly appeal to people who want the most food they can get for the least amount of money. Quality and selection get low marks from people who enjoy good food and like to cook.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the best part of trader joe's is they're the exclusive distributor for Two Buck Chuck, the best cheap wine you can get :)

I'm pretty sure it has gone to Three Buck Chuck but a great value none the less.

• 2 months later...

trader joe's is considering a woodlands location. i'm not sure if it's one or the other. culturemap seems to think it is a choice between the two locations (alabama theater or the woodlands). i'd rather see the alabama theater space saved (if that's the intention) rather than have a trader joe's here in the woods. (my grocery needs are small.)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

got this from the neighborhood yahoo group--

Rumor No Longer!

No, not about the Bomar house... this is about Trader Joe's. I was in the building this morning, on Shepherd at W. Alabama, the old Alabama Theater, watching the workmen hammering and sawing. The blueprints they were working off of had written all over them: Trader Joe's.

so it's true, and just a matter of time.

Oh, and they are keeping much of what gave the theater its character, including the decorative Art Deco medallian across the ceiling - AND including recreating pieces to replace chunks that broke off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is Trader Joes basically a Whole Foods type of store with cheaper prices on organic food?

Not really. I wouldn't consider Trader Joe's to be an organic food store. They tend to buy things that are interesting more than things that healthy. There isn't necessarily an overall theme to the store, they just buy stuff that they think that they can be price competitive on that isn't going to be carried at most other markets.

It's kind of like the Cost Plus of grocery stores.

so i guess i should wait till late October if i don't want to wait in long lines.....

Having made a few trips to the Woodlands location I would recommend you do just that. I think the pent up demand will make it a mad-house for the first few weeks.

The good news is that according to my friends in Chicago, Whole Foods made their pricing more competitive when a Trader Joes opened up nearby their house.

Red is correct about their wine prices. It's almost impossible to beat Spec's wine quality, selection and prices, though we did find a nice German red at TJ's. (Name escapes me at the moment) I'm not impressed with the "2buck" chuck unless you're pairing it with Asprin.

agreed on two buck chuck (which was $3 last time I went to TJs in LA), except don't take aspirin with it, stick with advil if drinking! stick to spending a little more for much better quality at spec's.

i'm looking forward to the Truffles (cheap and good) and all the candied fruits, spiced nuts, random stuff like that. they have a unique selection. i heard good thing about their frozen foods if that's your thing, never tried any thought.

Archived