• 4 months later...
They tore down a vacant office building and an old motel on the 59 @ Wesleyan site. Dinerstein is putting up rental apartments called The Millenium. You can see a small rendering here,

www.meekspartners.com/projects_detail.cfm?proj_id=290&nav=ontheboards&pos=2.html

Appears to be nearing completion - model units are being shown.

• 2 months later...

^^ They can "kinda" argue a connection to the Galleria area once we get the rail line in place, but this is Greenway. I guess they want to appeal to Galleria-level shoppers (who frankly in the current economy, are shopping at Wal-Mart and Sav-a-lot anyway!!).

That really ticks me off. Why are these outsiders coming in and re-drawing the lines of our known areas. This is clearly Greenway. It's like those other folks slapping River Oaks on something that is clearly not in RO. WTF?

Edited by rsb320

Just an out-of-towner's way of crudely geographically identifying the store to the most popular shopping area in the city I suppose. Not that there's another Costco anywhere near, but a shopping tie-in would help I guess.

I have only been to Costco once (it was the one out there on I-10) and it wasn't nearly as bad as Sam's Club...

I don't think it's that bad, if you look at the future... Calling the store "Galleria/Greenway" could work pretty well. It could also work well for the LA Fitness, since the closest one is the Marq-ee at Silber/I-10.

The form of the project is by no means impressive, but it's exciting and good to have more options that are inside the loop. AND on the planned University Line. I'll be going to this CostCo probably on opening day.

Sam's on Westpark is far closer, but you don't hear them saying "Galleria Sam's Club". Besides they've been trying to shed the Galleria Area name for years, instead preferring Uptown Houston and reserving Galleria for the damn mall.

LA Fitness on Holcombe and Main is closer, but not sure if it's open yet.

They probably call it Galleria on the same theory that businesses have "River Oaks" in their name when they are miles away.

I agree i hate when people refer to the area as the Gallaria. Its Uptown the Gallaria is the damn mall not a district of Houston.

I would only call the area Galleria, never "Uptown" since the Uptown name was just dredged up as a marketing gimmick. By the same token, I call the Dome the Astrodome, not the Reliant Astrodome I just don't see any particular need to adhere to marketing campaigns.

They call me Old Coot! :D

They probably call it Galleria on the same theory that businesses have "River Oaks" in their name when they are miles away.

I would only call the area Galleria, never "Uptown" since the Uptown name was just dredged up as a marketing gimmick. By the same token, I call the Dome the Astrodome, not the Reliant Astrodome I just don't see any particular need to adhere to marketing campaigns.

I'm with Subdude. They can call it whatever they want, that area will always be the Galleria area to me.

I think we should adopt this tactic of diluting the prestige of an area by broadening it. As of today, The Westbury is River Oaks South.

I've never had a good grasp on what/where Uptown is and means. And while I think Galleria or Galleria-area is appropriate for the areas adjacent to the Galleria (that's the draw around there), there are already names for the other places (Afton Oaks, Tanglewood, Greenway, etc.)

edit - according to this, uptown is "...bounded by Woodway Drive to the north, the I-610 (West Loop) to the east, U.S. Highway 59 to the south, and Yorktown Street to the west."

They call me Old Coot! :D

Uh-oh. Time to get off Subdude's lawn!

Why?

Because it's one of the largest Business Districts in the United States. Because it employs more people and is larger than the CBDs of many other large cities in the U.S. Because when I look at its impressive skyline, I don't think of a shopping mall--I think of a vibrant, exciting, increasingly-urban employment center where many people live, work, and shop.

Ultimately, I don't think it's a big deal. I just think that calling it the "Galleria area" isn't representative of most of the development and activity in the area. Calling it the "Galleria area"--in my opinion--is selling that part of town short.

Because it's one of the largest Business Districts in the United States. Because it employs more people and is larger than the CBDs of many other large cities in the U.S. Because when I look at its impressive skyline, I don't think of a shopping mall--I think of a vibrant, exciting, increasingly-urban employment center where many people live, work, and shop.

Ultimately, I don't think it's a big deal. I just think that calling it the "Galleria area" isn't representative of most of the development and activity in the area. Calling it the "Galleria area"--in my opinion--is selling that part of town short.

You missed your calling in marketing. ;)

Sam's on Westpark is far closer, but you don't hear them saying "Galleria Sam's Club". Besides they've been trying to shed the Galleria Area name for years, instead preferring Uptown Houston and reserving Galleria for the damn mall.

LA Fitness on Holcombe and Main is closer, but not sure if it's open yet.

No, Dallas' Galleria is a mall... Houston's Galleria is a "central" business district that was built around a mall.

Which came first, the mall or the business district???

Why don't we all just abandon our namesake and go back to being Harrisburgers??

Edited by totheskies

And I think of a shopping mall. Do you object to the name "Times Square" for similar reasons? What's wrong with the area being associated with a shopping mall?

No way, I've been inside, and the interior is great. There is a huge interior atrium with natural lighting from skylights. Generally I'm not a big fan of brutalist architecture, but the HISD building (and the Alley Theater) are about as good as it gets for the style. It would be nice if all the mid-century office buildings along thata strip of Richmond could be preserved.

I second that thought, Subdude, been in it, many years ago, when I was a kid. The snack/lunch areas were out in the middle, with no ceilings, just the bldg. roof, very open, recall huge potted ficus trees, too. The offices hugged the exterior walls (from what I can remember). It made a huge impression on me, even then, with it's open stairways. Although I can't imagine what the electric bill ran, as a architectural history lover, :wub: I really hate to see this city lose one of it's few examples of Brutalism, as others have stated above. The "Post" Bldg., off Newcastle (610 loop at 59) comes to mind, as another Brutalism example.

PS there was also a kolache shop across the street, in a vintage shopping strip.

^I had never been inside while it was occupied, but it was a sight to see emptied out - the atrium was quite something:

hmwint002.jpg

What a great pic Sevfiv. Thnx for sharing, there's the snack bar, on the right (and one on the left), looks like it's floating, notice the several steps -open stairway ascending to it, wonder what the floor is made of, looks similar to my travertine landscaping stepping stones. They are white, but when wet they take on a tan color. Makes me sad to see, as well.

The UH campus has a student bldg. with those suspended staircases, as well.

Edited by NenaE

^I had never been inside while it was occupied, but it was a sight to see emptied out - the atrium was quite something:

Great picture. The atrium really was fantastic. One of those places you step into, stop and go "Oh!"

It's not like the area is being degraded by being called after a mall. It's a nice mall! Plus, referring to the area as Galleria came naturally, and I would be willing to be most Houstonians think of it that way. Finally, "Uptown" as a name is just kind of icky.