Because it's one of the largest Business Districts in the United States. Because it employs more people and is larger than the CBDs of many other large cities in the U.S. Because when I look at its impressive skyline, I don't think of a shopping mall--I think of a vibrant, exciting, increasingly-urban employment center where many people live, work, and shop.

Ultimately, I don't think it's a big deal. I just think that calling it the "Galleria area" isn't representative of most of the development and activity in the area. Calling it the "Galleria area"--in my opinion--is selling that part of town short.

I agree wholeheartedly. Why diminish such a beautiful, vibrant area by referring to it as the "area" by the mall. "Area" is such a vague term. Uptown does have distinct boundaries as mentioned earlier in the thread. Should we start calling downtown the "Houston Pavilions Area?"

The second-most well known part of the city should have a meaningful name. Whether or not you like the term "Uptown" (which I do), you've got to admit that "Galleria Area" is an injustice to the area.

I agree wholeheartedly. Why diminish such a beautiful, vibrant area by referring to it as the "area" by the mall. "Area" is such a vague term. Uptown does have distinct boundaries as mentioned earlier in the thread. Should we start calling downtown the "Houston Pavilions Area?"

The second-most well known part of the city should have a meaningful name. Whether or not you like the term "Uptown" (which I do), you've got to admit that "Galleria Area" is an injustice to the area.

Calling it Galleria area doesn't diminish it though. Nobody means it as an insult. It isn't an injustice. Ultimately it is just a part of town. It's not like its feelings are going to be hurt by not calling it some made up name, or that "Galleria area" besmirches" a deserving neighborhood.

Description of the recently demolished HISD bldg. from AIA-Houston Architectural Guide, S. Fox :

3830 Richmond Avenue

Houston Independent School District Central Administration Building

Built 1969

Architects: Neuhaus & Taylor

"This monumental building, built of white cast-in-place concrete, was designed in the expressive style of the 1960's called (for obvious reasons) the New Brutalism. Tiers of office space step up in a pinwheel fashion, a quarter level at a time, wrapping around the four sides of a vast, central, skylit, air-conditioned court. The Board Room, the building's chief public space, is located in the basement, below the central court. Behind the administration building, at 3310 Timmons Lane, is the ex-Houston Teachers Credit Union Building of 1971 by McKittrick, Drennan, Richardson & Wallace, a less bombastic rendition of the Brutalist genre."

I remember climbing huge outside stairs to enter the building...guess it was part of the design,to incorporate the "basement" room. Main floor must have been on the second level.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone heard when they are going to open the LA Fitness that was supposed to be above the new Costco at the corner of Richmond & Weslayan? I live just a few blocks from there and that would be very convient for me to workout. I havn't seen any signage indicating an opening date.

I hope they havn't cancelled their plans to locate there due to the economy.

I've loving the hell out of that Costco by the way!

I haven't heard or seen a thing - I guess we'll know when they finish it out with the 24 Hour Fitness decals or post something on their web site.

Weird thing is that LA Fitness has no way to contact them via their website. Not even an email address! I drove up there last week and looked in the windows....there is nothing inside and no signage anywhere.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone heard when they are going to open the LA Fitness that was supposed to be above the new Costco at the corner of Richmond & Weslayan? I live just a few blocks from there and that would be very convient for me to workout. I havn't seen any signage indicating an opening date.

I hope they havn't cancelled their plans to locate there due to the economy.

I've loving the hell out of that Costco by the way!

They must be opening soon because there is a sign-up location at the southeast corner of Weslayan and Richmond in the strip center. The location out in Spring by my house did the same thing about 2 months before the actual location opened, so I would assume it will be opening soon.

Omg, a Buffalo Wild Wings?? I hope they're not teasing. This would be even closer to me than the one on Rice in the Village is! I think I found my new hangout if they do lease it. Hopefully parking will be less of a headache than it is in the Village too.

So does the Galleria Area, and if you overlay the two, they are damn near identical.

If Houston Pavilions came prior to Downtown, and the name of the area was considered by one and all to be Houston Pavilions Area, then yeah, Houston Pavilions Area it is.

Eventually, the warehouse district won't have anymore warehouses in it, but will that mean it will be thought of as EaDo by people who have been in Houston forever? I'll laugh secretly whenever anyone uses that name, and I suppose people will look at me like a crazy person when I say warehouse district. You can find hundreds of examples to use.

At the end of the day though, money will win out, it will be called Uptown, and EaDo, and whatever other nifty names some marketing person comes up with that has nothing to do with what has to do with anything. And I guess that the other prepositional options that come with up and down (left and right) they don't have the same ring. Lefttown, or Righttown, neither of them really work.

But then niether does Uptown.

Gone are the days when a contest is held to name something like the Gulf Freeway, but then, I guess if they held a contest to name the Galleria area, people probably would have submitted "Galleria Area".

Maybe 'uptown' is not the best name they could have come up with (it isn't very geographically accurate), but it IS better than the whatever "area" any day. Uptown Houston has an identity of it's own, a distinct, recognizable skyline, and is a major business center in this state and even the country. Somehow having to use the word 'area' every time you want to refer to it really weakens the impact of such an important business district.

Plus, it's really simple. 'Uptown' sounds better, it rolls off the tongue better, it's easier to remember and it is quicker to say than 'the Galleria Area'. And anyway, the ball's already rolling. There's no stopping it.

So 'Uptown' it is. End of story. Anyone that feels a need to hold on to it's former, rather lame, name should stop living in the past and except the Houston of the future.

This is not opinion, it is fact. Don't question me. Now do as you are told and stop saying 'the Galleria area'. It takes too long and I have too much to do today to have to say 'area' again.

Edited by Mister X

Maybe 'uptown' is not the best name they could have come up with (it isn't very geographically accurate), but it IS better than the whatever "area" any day. Uptown Houston has an identity of it's own, a distinct, recognizable skyline, and is a major business center in this state and even the country. Somehow having to use the word 'area' every time you want to refer to it really weakens the impact of such an important business district.

Plus, it's really simple. 'Uptown' sounds better, it rolls off the tongue better, it's easier to remember and it is quicker to say than 'the Galleria Area'. And anyway, the ball's already rolling. There's no stopping it.

So 'Uptown' it is. End of story. Anyone that feels a need to hold on to it's former, rather lame, name should stop living in the past and except the Houston of the future.

This is not opinion, it is fact. Don't question me. Now do as your told and stop saying 'the Galleria area'. It takes too long and I have too much to do today to have to say 'area' again.

:lol::o:lol:

They've been trying to get people to refer to the area as Uptown since the 1980's and it's just never really caught on. I prefer Uptown/Galleria or Galleria/Uptown to Galleria Area. Either of those don't take too long to say if you talk really fast. Say Galleria/Uptown three times. It really rolls of the tongue. :D

Edited by rsb320

Weird thing is that LA Fitness has no way to contact them via their website. Not even an email address! I drove up there last week and looked in the windows....there is nothing inside and no signage anywhere.

First - love the Costco.

Second - can you tell my wife that? She is convinced that they're open. I said, errr - looks pretty empty up there. Why not call one of the other Houston locations and ask?

Collection at Greenway

Comm_collection1.jpg

3333 Weslayan

Inside the 610 Loop, surrounded by the lovely River Oaks neighborhood, the dynamic Greenway Plaza office district and the happening Highland Village retail center, Collection at Greenway is truly at the center of it all. Near a future light rail stop, the already-convenient location will also provide a quick commute to the Central Business District and the Texas Medical Center.

Each residence will feature a gourmet kitchen, granite countertops and premium fixtures. Residences and amenities, including resort-style pools, a pool cabana game room, sports lounge, social lounge, two fitness spas and an independently-operated caf

Edited by UpuPUp!

Is this rendering consistent with reality? I thought this was just going to be big and boxy? From what little this reveals, I like it.

It was dead on. I don't remember if that tall metal structure in the middle was built.