It was the site of a hotel -- don't remember which chain -- maybe Motel 6 or similar. Don't know what's going up but I'm anxious to find out. Anybody?

high $$ apartments, or maybe it'll be condos, but it's a residential development.

They tore down a vacant office building and an old motel on the 59 @ Wesleyan site. Dinerstein is putting up rental apartments called The Millenium. You can see a small rendering here,

www.meekspartners.com/projects_detail.cfm?proj_id=290&nav=ontheboards&pos=2.html

The motel was an old Roadway Inn.. if that's the spot I'm thinking of. They tore it down because it was burned by a fire.

that was the Rodeway Inn / Denny's between Brook Mays Piano and the Shell station near the southeast corner of Buffalo Speedway and 59

i have pictures if the demo, and a postcard of the Motel and Denny's (the denny's had a neat sign)

the sign on site a few months ago was that of Lovett Commercial builders, and there was a note attached from a city code inspector which cited fire damage, stagnant pool water, etc.

Edited by sevfiv

that was the Rodeway Inn / Denny's between Brook Mays Piano and the Shell station near the southeast corner of Buffalo Speedway and 59

i have pictures if the demo, and a postcard of the Motel and Denny's (the denny's had a neat sign)

the sign on site a few months ago was that of Lovett Commercial builders, and there was a note attached from a city code inspector which cited fire damage, stagnant pool water, etc.

I was on my bike and came by it while the fire trucks were still there. Right in the middle of the building. Based on the building, where the fire was, etc. I suspected Arson but never heard anything about that so probably just a "natural" fire... nice way to clear out some older low upkeep buildings though.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it looks like the this project is going full speed ahead, right into the clutches of poor urban planning. This post comes from the Antiplanner:

The money quote came from Michael Morgan, a local developer who was partnering with Trammel Crow, which has built several mixed-use developments in Portland (not all of which have been successful), to plan a 24-acre development in Houston. But after due consideration, they scaled back and probably will not do a true mixed-use development, just some apartments next to a big-box store. After looking at other cities, says Morgan,

Sucks doesn't it? On the other hand, at least someone thinks Houston rocks.

I think that the way that the comments were arranged in the Antiplanner are dubious. My understanding of this situation is that Morgan got the raw end of the deal. I like some of what the Antiplanner has to say, but in other places, it looks like he's overreaching to build an argument.

Not to get on too much of a tangent, but the author mentioned his intrigue in visiting the Woodlands, a master planned community "by private developers, not by the government." He liked the idea as opposed to the urban corridor stuff around the transit stations. I think it's great, too, for master-planned communities to exist. It shows that people really do like what they offer. The only problem is that it really only allows big-time developers to implement these great developments (GGP/Rouse, Crescent, Trammel Crow, Hines, Friendswood Dev. Corp., etc.). I think that the urban corridors would be good for smaller developers like Liu to do things easier near the stops. I just don't think that it should be harder to do TOD than it is to build master planned communities. OTOH, I know of a Duany project that is along an outerbelt freeway, so I guess it goes a variety of ways.

• 2 months later...

Plans for former HISD headquarters site revealed

Houston Business Journal - 4:50 PM CDT Thursday, July 26, 2007

Three years after being selected by the Houston Independent School District to buy its Inner Loop headquarters site for redevelopment, Trammell Crow Co. and The Morgan Group Inc. have revealed plans for the 24-acre project.

Dallas-based Trammell Crow will break ground immediately on a retail center that will include a 164,000-square-foot Costco topped with a second-floor, 45,000-square-foot LA Fitness health club. Another 47,000 square feet of retail will be built as part of the project, located at the northeast corner of Weslayan Road and Richmond Avenue.

In addition, Houston-based Morgan Group will begin construction in December on a high-end, mid-rise apartment community with 526 units.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...ml?surround=lfn

picture from globest.com

hou_greenwaycommons.jpg

even though i am absolutely disgusted with the tenants, im impressed with the design.

link to article -> here

It just looks like Meyerland Plaza II to me. It could be worse, but it could be much better also, given its location.

It just looks like Meyerland Plaza II to me. It could be worse, but it could be much better also, given its location.

It could be so much better. That said, this design is better than what I originally thought was coming when I heard Costco was the lead tenant.

I do find it funny how the developers are touting the project as urban. Stacking a gym on top of a big box store is apparently what counts as urban in Houston despite the surface parking facing Richmond and two other single story "pad" type buildings.

• 2 months later...

Project update

Mixed-Use Urban Infill Project Started in Houston

Trammell Crow Co. of Houston will develop a two-story, 256,700-sq-ft retail center at an urban infill, mixed-use development site in Houston called Greenway Commons.

Greenway Commons

This location would have been prime for a Regent Square type development. Disappointing.

Project update

Greenway Commons

This location would have been prime for a Regent Square type development. Disappointing.

Is this the same lot that we all thought was going to be mixed-use and then it was going to be a Safeco or something? So now it's going to be this beauty? Horray! :rolleyes:

Edited by bkjones98

picture from globest.com

hou_greenwaycommons.jpg

even though i am absolutely disgusted with the tenants, im impressed with the design.

link to article -> here

In what sense?

Actually, it was one of our state's finer application of brutalism as an architectural style.

I'm not a big fan of brutalism, but you are right that this was one of the best examples around. The atrium was spectacular.

• 1 month later...
I think all I need is a Best Buy inside the loop to guarantee I never step foot outside 610 again.

Gulfgate ;)

This looks like a current version of the standard corporate cluster of beige boxes. This isn't a negative comment either, as these projects are valid infill pieces, just not risky or artsy.

• 3 months later...