GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

No Kidding - and I love how Judaism and all the other religions were put back in a section that I believe was called "other spiritual" or something like that :(

It's based off the market. If the majority of Houstonians weren't christian, you may see the display set up differently. I'm sure bookstores in predominately Jewish neighborhoods cater to their market.

It's based off the market. If the majority of Houstonians weren't christian, you may see the display set up differently. I'm sure bookstores in predominately Jewish neighborhoods cater to their market.

Really? BAM has a huge Christian book section, much bigger than B&N or Borders. Their web site touts specialty "Testament Shoppes" that feature "the best of references and writings for the Christian market". If it's just market forces, why don't B&N and Borders follow suit?

Has anyone called the store and requested more diversity of texts?? I just did, and they said they would examine their current setup. If they get five or ten more calls like that, you'll see some changes.

Books-a-Million is quite biased towards Christianity btw. Go to their website and type in "Islam" and see what you get for the search results. Pretty shameful.

Has anyone called the store and requested more diversity of texts?? I just did, and they said they would examine their current setup. If they get five or ten more calls like that, you'll see some changes.

Nah, I've got other bookstores closer to me, and Amazon. I'll probably never visit BAM again.

Really? BAM has a huge Christian book section, much bigger than B&N or Borders. Their web site touts specialty "Testament Shoppes" that feature "the best of references and writings for the Christian market". If it's just market forces, why don't B&N and Borders follow suit?

Hello, the Co-Cathedral is right there. Bet this place will be hoppin' before and after Mass.

Books-a-Million is quite biased towards Christianity btw. Go to their website and type in "Islam" and see what you get for the search results. Pretty shameful.

Who cares? I don't visit a store for their mythology section any more than I do their religion section. Personally, the less religious texts they have the better. They could use the space for more worthwhile books.

Hello, the Co-Cathedral is right there. Bet this place will be hoppin' before and after Mass.

I love church girls. :)

Has anybody seen any jumbotrons or plasma screens around the pavilion. I though that they were going to place signs that would be seen from blocks away. I realize this place still has a lot to go before it is finsihed, much less get more tenats, but they need to spruce it up a little.

Edited by CasaNova

The Co-Cathedral, FUMC, Christ Church Cathedral, South Main Baptist, First Pres., St. Paul's, Trinity Episcopal, Holy Rosary... are all right there or on the rail line. Sounds like a rather large Christian market, so maybe BAM was a good choice.

Who is that?

So I stopped by the other day and took a look around. BAM was fine but I couldn't believe how huge the Thomas the Tank Engine section was. Casey Jr. was just lumped into the other train stories section.

Maybe it was because it was empty, but the place reminded me so much of the Marq*e Entertainment Center it scared me. Empty, strangely uninviting, with piped in music. I'm sure it will get better but I can't say was impressed -- and I really wanted to be.

Who cares? I don't visit a store for their mythology section any more than I do their religion section. Personally, the less religious texts they have the better. They could use the space for more worthwhile books.

I love church girls. :)

Couldn't agree more! The less religious books the better!

So I stopped by the other day and took a look around. BAM was fine but I couldn't believe how huge the Thomas the Tank Engine section was. Casey Jr. was just lumped into the other train stories section.

Maybe it was because it was empty, but the place reminded me so much of the Marq*e Entertainment Center it scared me. Empty, strangely uninviting, with piped in music. I'm sure it will get better but I can't say was impressed -- and I really wanted to be.

That was exactly the reaction I had. Don't see myself going back anytime soon

Mrs. Bag and I visited Houston Pavilions today after lunch. She thought it was a dumb idea at first, and only later did I have to agree with her. It was ugly and unpleasant. The pedestrian space between the stores is too narrow. The "architecture" is just a jumble of concrete and aluminum. I couldn't find the wonderful views that others have spoken of. Blech.

That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping for something unique, but it sounds like just another bland mall that just happens to be downtown. I don't like malls or the culture of pointless consumption anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter...

That was exactly the reaction I had. Don't see myself going back anytime soon

Are you talking about BAM or the Pavillions?

Strip centers don't prevent people from shopping there, and they're not "hip." Not saying that's why you shop, but if it's convenient to you and the stores have what you want, why wouldn't you go back? Just because the vibe isn't good yet?

I think the reason why it doesn't feel right yet is because of all the stores are enclose with that colored wood or whatever material that is and that makes it feel even more empty. Hopefully once it is glass it won't feel so suffocating. But I do agree that the walkways feel small.

edit for other thoughts: although the walkways inside feel small the sidewalks next to the streets seem rather wide. Also, it was kind of weird to see trees planted in the road. I guess they did that for delivery trucks to be able to get in and out, and also to provide side street parking in between them?

Edited by lockmat

I think that if they had used the original plan and made this mixed use with a residential componenet it would feel much better. It was designed to be part of that plan and when it is separated from the rest of the original it just doesn't feel right. If it had been designed as simply a shopping mall from the start, it might have turned out better.

One of the big design flaws I saw is this -- when you walk at ground level from BAM toward HOB and wish to ascend to the second floor to cross over the street, there are only stairs. Why wouldn't they make these escalators?? If you really needed stairs, put them from the 2d to 3d floors. Instead, there were escaltors coming down from the 2d to the ground level in places, and up from 2 to 3 in others. If you don't feel like walking up the stairs, then you need to go down the block to the light, and jog back on the other side to get back in. I know this isn't the end of the world, but from a design standpoint I can't see why they did it this way.

Are you talking about BAM or the Pavillions?

Strip centers don't prevent people from shopping there, and they're not "hip." Not saying that's why you shop, but if it's convenient to you and the stores have what you want, why wouldn't you go back? Just because the vibe isn't good yet?

I think the reason why it doesn't feel right yet is because of all the stores are enclose with that colored wood or whatever material that is and that makes it feel even more empty. Hopefully once it is glass it won't feel so suffocating. But I do agree that the walkways feel small.

edit for other thoughts: although the walkways inside feel small the sidewalks next to the streets seem rather wide. Also, it was kind of weird to see trees planted in the road. I guess they did that for delivery trucks to be able to get in and out, and also to provide side street parking in between them?

Well if I need a book I have much more options inside the loop that are closer with free parking. If I want something to eat, it usually isn't one of the chains that are going in the Pavilions. If I need new clothes, I'm not going to shop at Forever XXI. I get a new hat maybe once every two years, so I guess then I would go to the Pavilions. Honestly, the only time I see myself going back is for a business dinner downtown or to see a concert at the HOB. I think this will be fine for tourists, but I don't think this will really attract anyone outside of people going to a sporting event or concert downtown. That's okay, because I think that will generate enough business to keep this place busy, but if this was going to attract people on random nights in Houston it needed to have a special "vibe". Right now, it doesn't have that vibe.

I agree that if a residential and hotel portion were included it would probably look/feel a lot more exciting, but right now it looks like a downtown version of the Marq E, and that is disappointing.

My first suggestion: Get rid of the piped in music.

Edited by roadrunner

I don't think this will really attract anyone outside of people going to a sporting event or concert downtown

I understand that the average Houstonian living in the Galleria might not go to the Pavillions when there are other stores which are closer, but there are plenty of neighborhoods where the Pavilions might be the closest shopping area. I think it's about the same distance for me to go to either the Half Price Books in the Village, or BAM the Pavilions. I don't personally have a problem with parking because I actually enjoy walking a few blocks and using a meter or parking free, but I can see how that could be a drag for those people who aren't into walking.

I think for people in Midtown, Downtown, and people living in the East End, this place might be the most convenient in terms of distance. I know that might not be a huge number of people right now, but my point is that there are definitely some people that will be attracted to shopping downtown besides just the sporting/concert/convention crowd. I hope it will be enough to sustain it and encourage new development downtown.

I understand that the average Houstonian living in the Galleria might not go to the Pavillions when there are other stores which are closer, but there are plenty of neighborhoods where the Pavilions might be the closest shopping area. I think it's about the same distance for me to go to either the Half Price Books in the Village, or BAM the Pavilions. I don't personally have a problem with parking because I actually enjoy walking a few blocks and using a meter or parking free, but I can see how that could be a drag for those people who aren't into walking.

I think for people in Midtown, Downtown, and people living in the East End, this place might be the most convenient in terms of distance. I know that might not be a huge number of people right now, but my point is that there are definitely some people that will be attracted to shopping downtown besides just the sporting/concert/convention crowd. I hope it will be enough to sustain it and encourage new development downtown.

Couldn't agree more! I'm an East Ender, and the thought of having some evening selection that is downtown is very inviting. I frequently bike to downtown for various reasons... rehearsals with HGO... just to enjoy the day at Discovery Green, etc. Houston Pavilions in itself is far from earth-shattering, but it's adding another very important piece to the downtown puzzle.

Pavilions aside, has anyone noticed that there are actually PEOPLE that walk around downtown now?? even at all hours of the night, there are folks just taking a stroll near Discovery Green, and then walking over to the Theater District. It's FAR more lively than the usual traffic spots of Bayou Place, Main St. and Cabo/Frank's (unless it's a game day). People are EXPLORING the downtown again, and they're finding excuses to be there... that's what we want!!!!

BTW Houston Pavilions is not only the closest major venue to Downtown, Midtown, and East End, but it's also the closest venue to UofH, UHD, and Texas Southern (a combined student pop. of over 65,000). Granted, most UH students don't live on campus and have a car, but there's still about 7500 students are in the residence halls. Add on to that the 5000 or so that come to campus most days by bus, and you've got a nice little base for HP to tap into.

HP should start working on some new slogans...

Houston House of Blues...er, I mean Houston Pavilions! No wait, seriously we're onna be cool... just give us a few more months!!

Edited by totheskies

edit for other thoughts: although the walkways inside feel small the sidewalks next to the streets seem rather wide.

the perimeter minimum setbacks are set by the city. the inner corridor would be most likely be designed to maximize interior space

Edited by musicman

but it's also the closest venue to UofH, UHD, and Texas Southern (a combined student pop. of over 65,000

Don't forget about Rice, UT and Baylor as well as Methodist/Cornell, Texas Women's U, and the Prarie View nursing school. I guess the Med Center area has the village nearby, but there are a significant number of students without cars. And even for the ones who do have cars, it's a pain to drive with the crappy parking situation at Rice/TMC. At Rice and parts of the TMC you need to take a shuttle bus to the far away parking lots then drive to your destination, then return, and bus back to your building. Metro Rail is so much easier, especially when it's right outside of your office.

The Med Center has 33,000 students, and Rice has 5,000 or so.

Is it possible that there are over 100,000 students combined in the inner loop?

What we need is an Apple store in the Pavilions to support us academics who don't like going all the way to the Galleria to get our computer stuff! :)

Edited by Jax

I live in Midtown and know that my wife and I will be spending a lot of time and money at the Pavilions. We live on the east side of Main (where there are a ton of townhomes) and have a lot of neighbors that have said they will be doing the same. Midtown continues to grow (i.e. Camden Travis is currently being built even in this crappy economy) and Midtown is full of 20-30 somethings with money to burn and a desire to be in a totally urban environment. For people like my wife and I... the Galleria is too crowded, feels like a boring suburban mall, and requires way too much driving/parking/walking/etc. in order to get to a particular store you want to get to. What is so great about the HP is that it will pile a bunch of stores into a layout that makes them easy to access, quick to get to, and is easily walkable.

I heard some scoop on HOB.

Apparently, they have some sort of contractual stipulation whereas a performer cannot do a show at another venue and then perform at HOB.

Well, BB King performed at the Arena and then HOB denied him a show there. Then, Beeb's got on the phone and took care of that and then performed. He then went on to NOLA HOB and announced that the Houston HOB was the * venue he'd ever played. I've heard other performers have cancelled. Looks like the manager is a SOB.

Keep in mind that this information is all hearsay.

BB King hasn't actually played at the Houston HOB yet. His shows are Nov. 21-22.

still loving the Pavillions...

I too hope to see more and more added and waiting for Cork to open since i really enjoy their other locations...

and in related news Blue October tickets for the HOB dec 3rd show are now on presale at www.blueoctober.com

see ya there!