GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

So I mean, let's be objective. I'm not clear how much better than Park Shops this is going to fare, or any number of a dozen attempts at urban pedestrian malls. DT still doesnt have -- may never have -- critical local mass to be much more than a business district. Houston's real action is always going to be in the inner loop neighborhoods.

Quite a number of the people that will be using it will be the people here for conventions, particularly Hotel Americas, Downtown Hyatt, Marriott Courtyards, and as well as the Holiday inn on Bell st. Most of these are in a relatively remote part of downtown and are within easy walking distance to this development.

The effect on the park shops should be interesting as well as the Striphouse Restaurant located there.

So I mean, let's be objective. I'm not clear how much better than Park Shops this is going to fare, or any number of a dozen attempts at urban pedestrian malls. DT still doesnt have -- may never have -- critical local mass to be much more than a business district. Houston's real action is always going to be in the inner loop neighborhoods.

Except they're going to have real stores... house hold names, not just a giant food court for the Houston Center.

Park Shops used to have household name stores, and they left because the demand isn't there!

The park shops close at 6pm. They're also nearly invisible from the street, making them highly inaccessible to those who are not intimately familiar with downtown. I believe the aforementioned reasons -- and not a lack of demand for downtown retail per se -- explain the current state of the Park Shops.

When I first moved here, I needed to get a cable for my new TV and I saw in google maps that there was a Radioshack downtown. And since I didn't know the bus routes well enough I thought the simplest thing to do would be to take the metro rail downtown and get what i needed. Unfortunately I never found the radioshack. Either it was underground in a tunnel somewhere or in the Park Shops or whatever, but wherever it was I couldn't find it from the street and I just gave up.

As jdbaker said, the fact that the Pavilions will be visible from the street is a definite plus.

The population of the offices downtown during the working day is greater than the town where I grew up.

There just has to be enough demand for retail, as long as it's good quality and easy to find. I find a lot of the retail that is currently downtown is either hidden in a tunnel or really sketchy.

What's in the Park Shops anyways?

I still remember when they had the grand opening for The Park Shops around mid 80's I think? It was announced on TV or paper and we had nothing better to do but go and see the ribbon cutting. It had well known store's when new but if you are a male and want to buy clothes like you would find in Macy's or Penney's forget it, unless you are mega rich and go to the Brooks Bros store there (if still there). For men just go to Macys on Main St. Women have more variety at Park Shops, but again the stores are mean't for tourists not regular Joe's/Jane's like us. The small business seem so dismall as you hardly see any customers? Makes you wonder how they pay the expensive rent?

The food court is where the action takes place daily at lunch time. Its a people watching place and you can find reasonably priced eats. Subway, etc. Park Shop is way over rated and appears much more exciting from the passerby than what you find inside. We used to eat at the court for years again its more of a meat market kind of hang out. Have pen and paper in hand. >:)

PS, the large balconies outside that door facing towards GRB WAS a good place to eat, smoke a cig as you enjoy the nice scenery & skyline before you, but it will be blocked with a new skyscraper going up. Glad I enjoyed while it lasted! >:)

Edited by Vertigo58

And let's not forget all the new foot traffic that the Park Tower tennants will bring to HP AND the Park Shops. That's an advantage that the Park Shops didn't have when it opened. Another residential tower or two anywhere near downtown should seal the deal for the success of HP.

When I first moved here, I needed to get a cable for my new TV and I saw in google maps that there was a Radioshack downtown. And since I didn't know the bus routes well enough I thought the simplest thing to do would be to take the metro rail downtown and get what i needed. Unfortunately I never found the radioshack. Either it was underground in a tunnel somewhere or in the Park Shops or whatever, but wherever it was I couldn't find it from the street and I just gave up.

As jdbaker said, the fact that the Pavilions will be visible from the street is a definite plus.

The population of the offices downtown during the working day is greater than the town where I grew up.

There just has to be enough demand for retail, as long as it's good quality and easy to find. I find a lot of the retail that is currently downtown is either hidden in a tunnel or really sketchy.

Case in point. The Radio Shack that you were looking for is in the Park Shops.

Vertigo58:

PS, the large balconies outside that door facing towards GRB WAS a good place to eat, smoke a cig as you enjoy the nice scenery & skyline before you, but it will be blocked with a new skyscraper going up. Glad I enjoyed while it lasted!

That's the thing I don't like. I loved the view from the terrace. But everything that's going up will be better.

I heard that the property across from the Pavilions and next to Josephine's is about to have a Jimmy John's. Did not hear, however, if the building was going to be knocked down and rebuilt or if they were going to renovate the existing structure.

I heard that the property across from the Pavilions and next to Josephine's is about to have a Jimmy John's. Did not hear, however, if the building was going to be knocked down and rebuilt or if they were going to renovate the existing structure.

I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with that particular brand. What is it? some sort of restaurant?

Driving by HP yesterday seems like the work is starting to accelerate.

That's cool. I ate at Josephine's a few weeks ago and the restaurant was really popular (and pretty good too), but the storefronts next door were completely abandoned with broken glass and looked like something out of a war zone. I'm glad their either going to be knocked down or renovated!!

I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with that particular brand. What is it? some sort of restaurant?

It's a cheap sandwich shop. I used to eat at the one in Austin all the time in undergrad. They deliver too, which will be great downtown at lunch time.

There's a Jimmy Johns in the shopping center south of Buffalo Speedway on the feeder road to 59. I asked the manager if they delivered to Midtown and he said, "No, but we are building one downtown next to Josephine's in a couple of months."

Just an FYI,

A crane is about be installed on the Main/Dallas/Polk/Fannin block. The base is already in and I think I saw the installation equipment waiting across from Greyhound today.

Wow that area is going to be crane city!

I'm not sure where exactly the location will be, but it sounds like it could be a great candidate for the Pavilions:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1179855738...=googlenews_wsj

Edited:

Sorry, I don't think it's going to allow the full article, but it's a store called "House of Hoops" and it's opening soon in New York followed by locations in Las Vegas, Houston, Chicago and L.A.

Edited by KimberlySayWhat

I'm not sure where exactly the location will be, but it sounds like it could be a great candidate for the Pavilions:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1179855738...=googlenews_wsj

Edited:

Sorry, I don't think it's going to allow the full article, but it's a store called "House of Hoops" and it's opening soon in New York followed by locations in Las Vegas, Houston, Chicago and L.A.

Although I doubt I would shop there, I still think it would be a nice addition to HP and Downtown Houston.

Noticed yesterday going by that HP is starting to affect the neighboring properties as well. Across Caroline (the block that Josephine's Italian restaurant is on) one abandoned building is down and another one (corner or Caroline and Polk I think) is being gutted, and may be torn down. Behind the building being gutted is just one of those Ticket Exchange places (organized scalping) and a large surface lot over half of the block.

This will be pricey property between HP and the Toyota Center. Any rumblings on what might be happening at this block?

If looking at this map, the small square white roofed building mid-block is gone, and the larger white roofed rectangle building on the corner is being gutted/potentially torn down.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...p;z=19&om=1

Noticed yesterday going by that HP is starting to affect the neighboring properties as well. Across Caroline (the block that Josephine's Italian restaurant is on) one abandoned building is down and another one (corner or Caroline and Polk I think) is being gutted, and may be torn down. Behind the building being gutted is just one of those Ticket Exchange places (organized scalping) and a large surface lot over half of the block.

This will be pricey property between HP and the Toyota Center. Any rumblings on what might be happening at this block?

I wouldn't doubt it if something is announced around there sometime over the next year before Pavilions, Park Place, and Discovery Green are finished.

Neither would I. ;)

I love reading posts like this from folks like Niche. It makes me all goose pimply to think something cool may be in the works. :) The winking emoticon is always encouraging coming from an insider.

Spill it Niche. What have you heard? I know you can't reveal secrets, but it never hurts to ask. :)

Edited by Mister X

Doubtful. The target demographic for that store ("urban male" according to the Journal) is the same that has caused so much consternation about the future of downtown nightlife due to this demographic's "imbalanced" presence on Main St. after dark and has thus already caused city leaders to take actions to "constrain" new clubs serving this demographic.

I sure wish they would quit with all these BS stores and bring in a Movie theatre and a ESPN zone like the one in Denver. ESPN zone is not in Denver Pavilions either but its a couple a blocks away on 16th Street Mall.

I sure wish they would quit with all these BS stores and bring in a Movie theatre and a ESPN zone like the one in Denver. ESPN zone is not in Denver Pavilions either but its a couple a blocks away on 16th Street Mall.

Yeah, we don't need no stinkin' retail cluttering up our downtown. :rolleyes: