MetroNational's office project is on hold thanks to Covid-19, but the company is looking ahead 

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2020/08/28/metronational-office-project-on-hold-looking-ahead.html

MetroNational also recently began demolition work on the former Sears location at Memorial City Mall. What are the plans for that property?

We’re still in the planning phase of that project. We’re taking a massive look at what we need in terms of the retail environment. That’s one of the next 20 things we’re going to be changing with the mall to make it more of a mixed-use, open space environment. 

It’s going to take a lot of work and needs to get approval from a lot of people, including the anchor tenants. No one likes to sit on real estate, but we’re going to take our time with that one to make sure we get it right. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Makes sense, the existing store has an interior decor reminiscent to the one College Station(hometown) had going back to the early 2000's. The new look is consistent with what most of the Targets in the Houston area look like now.

Given how high profile a location the Memorial City location is I'm surprised they hadn't freshened it up earlier.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice to see them continuing to work on this mall- it’s my favorite in Houston. 

I know outdoor concepts are pretty popular- I’m 50/50 on them because of the heat and rain. But as long as there’s protected, shaded/covered areas, I’m set. 

• Like 2

One of the out door areas looks like they stole Turrell's oculus from the Rice Skyspace, supersized it and neglected the magical lighting effects that makes it buzz. I used to live in Hedwig Village within walking distance to the mall.  MetroNational has produced average buildings with no architectural distinction and little sense of place .  Memorial City defined by its parking lots, maze of interior walkways and bridges on the hospital side  and location adjacent to a 24 lane freeway. I walked over there, but a pedestrian friendly location it is not . 

• 7 months later...

In the "Present"  picture above,   the large building on the left marked "X" was the old Sears Store.     Been gone for a while - just a slab.     

On Wednesday drove by the smaller building with an "x" and there was an excavator smashing it to rubble.   It is on the corner of Barryknoll and Gessner - was the old Sears Auto Center.

Memorial City Plaza - 3 buildings in background are putting the final touches on a lobby/common area/driveway/landscape renovation that has been going on for about a year.    They are mulching and watering the plants - so just about done.

Will be interesting to see if the apartments,   fairly tall office building and whatever the  large building behind the "Town Square" in the "Proposed" picture get built.  That is all empty (or soon to be) empty parking spaces.   Barryknoll will be quite different looking if this happens.

Where will Cars and Coffee park if all the lots are gone????

image.jpeg.95a1a91a3f7e45452e5009cd62775de3.jpeg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Pleak said:

On Wednesday drove by the smaller building with an "x" and there was an excavator smashing it to rubble.   It is on the corner of Barryknoll and Gessner - was the old Sears Auto Center.

image.jpeg.95a1a91a3f7e45452e5009cd62775de3.jpeg

Great to see the old Sears Auto Center finally coming down. I'm wondering how much longer the First Horizon Bank (the other building in that large parking lot) will remain open/standing. Once that closes and is demolished I think things will really start moving.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 4:03 PM, asubrt said:

Great to see the old Sears Auto Center finally coming down.

I'm not sure whether it's nightmare fuel, or should be classified as fond memories, but I remember sitting in the waiting area with my mom in the early 80s while new tires were fitted to the car, or a new battery was put in. it always felt an eternity, and I knew that when we were done we would be going into Sears and I could dream about playing all of the Atari games that lined the shelves, so that made the waiting even more excruciating. probably nightmare fuel.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Don't hold your breath ground breaking for the proposed Town Square above anytime soon.

The old Sears Auto Center demo is wrapping up.   They dug a huge hole and back-filled - maybe some old fuel tanks or something to be remediated.     This week they are putting the final touches on more asphalt parking lot and taking down the construction fence.  

They paved a pair of Die-Hards and put up a parking lot.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 6 months later...
On 4/1/2023 at 4:03 PM, asubrt said:

Great to see the old Sears Auto Center finally coming down. I'm wondering how much longer the First Horizon Bank (the other building in that large parking lot) will remain open/standing. Once that closes and is demolished I think things will really start moving.

The First Horizon Bank has closed and moved down the street/parking lot to the old Community Bank location at the corner of Gessner and I-10. Hoping we are inching towards progress…

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, BigFootsSocks said:

Oh nice a Uniqlo in Houston!

i know! honestly i was so excited when they were going to take over the old 2 story Topman/Topshop in the Galleria...but covid i think made them pull out of that deal...but hey at least we are getting one still! 

(still sad Topman closed and went online only..well except at Nordstrom but the selection is minute to say the least...)

Edited by gene

On 1/28/2024 at 12:19 AM, asubrt said:

The First Horizon Bank has closed and moved down the street/parking lot to the old Community Bank location at the corner of Gessner and I-10. Hoping we are inching towards progress…

That was fast... there's construction fencing around the now-empty bank building, guessing demolition is imminent. 

• Like 5