• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Does anyone know what the new addition is near Cheesecake Factory? They have cleared the oak trees and taken down the fake tarp.

Hasn't that tarp been up since, like 2008? Or am I thinking of something else?

Edited by IronTiger
  • Like 2

There used to be a brochure on the edge website that talk about putting some new dining establishments in the mall including Torchy Tacos

I Believe that the photo above is where the new tochy will be

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Actually, Sears was open in late 64 - early 65, before the rest of the mall was built.  Since helicopter parents didn't exist at the time, 3rd grade me would ride my bicycle over there from the other side of what is now BW 8.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Owner MetroNational announced Thursday it had hired Trademark Property Co. to create a 50-year master plan to re-envision the 1.7-million-square-foot mall. The Fort Worth-based company is tasked with reimagining the former Sears store on the south side of the mall, as well as developing plans for additional public spaces and mixed-use tenants to complement the 265-acre Memorial City campus in west Houston.

A second CityCentre right next door? Who tf would want to live at the mall? "Hun, pick me up a cinnabon on your way up from the parking lot"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wilcal said:

A second CityCentre right next door? Who tf would want to live at the mall? "Hun, pick me up a cinnabon on your way up from the parking lot"

I'm not seeing in the article any mention of any plans for anything like that, so don't know where you're getting that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wilcal said:

Is "mixed-use" tenants not residential+commercial?

Not necessarily:

https://www.completecommunitiesde.org/planning/landuse/what-is-mixed-use-development/

While mixed use has become a popular buzz word, the term can be confusing. It is not just limited to a multi-story development that incorporates commercial use on the first floor with residential uses on upper floors. The Urban Land Institute’s Mixed-Use Development Handbook characterizes mixed-use development as one that 1) provides three or more significant revenue-producing uses (such as retail/entertainment, office, residential, hotel, and/or civic/cultural/recreation), 2) fosters integration, density, and compatibility of land uses, and 3) creates a walkable community with uninterrupted pedestrian connections.

Also, the Houston Chronicle article uses the term "mixed-use" in regard to Memorial City in the following way:

The Fort Worth-based company is tasked with reimagining the former Sears store on the south side of the mall, as well as developing plans for additional public spaces and mixed-use tenants to complement the 265-acre Memorial City campus in west Houston.

That comma, followed by "as well as", means that plans for mixed-use tenants (whether residential is part of that or not) is separate from what they are going to do with the former Sears store. And the 265 acre Memorial City campus is more than just the mall and its parking lot, it is also Memorial Herman Hospital and medical/professional buildings, as well as several office buildings and even apartment buildings which are already there:

http://www.memorialcity.com/about-us/metronational/

Today, the ‘city within a city’ is 265 acres of Class A office space; retail centers, including Memorial City Mall, a 1.7-million-square-foot super regional center; the Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical Center (the region’s second largest medical campus); the 33-story Memorial Hermann Tower; The Westin Memorial City and Hotel ZaZa Memorial City; and highrise and garden residential living.

Edited by Reefmonkey
  • Like 4

• The title was changed to Majestic Seas Aquarium
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Memorial City Mall Developments
2 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

Redevelopment of the former Sears building started today. Demolition permit issued by Cherry for 400 Gessner.  

Anyone know what’s planned here?

Wow, that's surprising they are moving forward with something without any public announcement.  Interesting...

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Wow, that's surprising they are moving forward with something without any public announcement.  Interesting...

Memorial City Mall redevelopment planned, catalyzed by Sears closure

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/05/16/memorial-city-mall-redevelopment-planned-catalyzed.html

The former Sears store at Memorial City Mall is set to be the centerpiece of a major redevelopment project that is likely to result in major changes at the west Houston mall.

Houston-based real estate investment firm MetroNational announced May 16 that it has hired Fort Worth-based Trademark Property Co. to develop a master plan, outlining ways the mall can increase customer traffic and drive sales, even as more and more shoppers are going online to make retail purchases.

“That was really the catalyst,” Miller said. “The mall is very successful. But it’s hard to make big changes when all of the major anchors are in place.”

The Sears at Memorial City occupied about 200,000 square feet within the mall, and the adjoining auto garage took up another 13,620 square feet. Together, they were appraised at $27.7 million in 2018 and are owned by Seritage SRC Finance, according to the Harris County Appraisal District.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2020 at 2:45 PM, Houston19514 said:

That project description makes it sound like they are just going to demolish the Sears building and pave the site over.

I'm putting my faith in the power of that semicolon:

"Demo of part of Memorial Cenity Mall and parking lot; then REDO of paving and draining"

I take this to menthe demoed part of the mall will not be repaved, but the parking lot area may be reconfigured around it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

This just in from the Houston Business Journal:

Developers said that in its place [former Sears building] will stand a new outdoor lifestyle and retail district within Memorial City.

You were right about the demo and rebuilding. I wonder if they saw the success of city centre/baybrook mall and thought that might be a demand for it especially now with Covid.

I have multiple friends with kids who make the trek to city centre just to have them play in that outdoor space while they walk around. 

• Like 4