If that's true that sucks.

It is. I've heard it from people who are working on the hotel across the street. Also, I can see the site very well from the Metro bus I ride by it everday. It's far enough along that you can see the drive through lanes.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I don't think it's a bank. I'll eat my words if I'm wrong but there was no Safe that I ever saw. When the MetroNational bank went up the safe was visible for weeks. Also, the "drive thru lanes" look more like a very nice overhang to me. Almost like a classy restaurant.

My gut tells me this isn't a bank. Again, I could be wrong but I don't think so.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I don't think it's a bank. I'll eat my words if I'm wrong but there was no Safe that I ever saw. When the MetroNational bank went up the safe was visible for weeks. Also, the "drive thru lanes" look more like a very nice overhang to me. Almost like a classy restaurant.

My gut tells me this isn't a bank. Again, I could be wrong but I don't think so.

I guess I could be wrong. It appears to have drive through lanes on the north side and I can see what looks like the pneumatic tube system being placed in the ground near them. I'll try to take a photo this week. I get a really good view of it from the bus since it's higher than a regular car.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Reminds me of the corner of Winrock and San Felipe... they tore down a series of apartments and built 1 CVS and 4 banks, three of which are next to each other. Simply stupid and adds nothing to the area.

Ha ha, I worked at one of those you're talking about years ago when they went up. I could see the another branch of my bank from the drive thru window and with banks changing hands that bank now has three on that corner. As soon as all those banks started going up, that was the end of the industry. And yet they continue to go up...no one learns. They are useless.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe no one has picked up on the fact that a Cheesecake Factory is going up in place of the old department store on the west side. That's where the skywalk from the hospital/hotel will connect.

So there's your Memorial City Mall construction news for the month.....

So I lied, I have additional news.

The Cheesecake factory construction is also including an addition of a second floor on top of the existing locker rooms next to the ice rink. I've been told there will be a bar/observation area up there.

If it does turn out to be a bar, there are going to be a lot of happy adult hockey league participants!

• 1 month later...

They are installing escalators from the second story of the new Cheesecake Factory addition to the ground floor just to the south of the ice rink (near the CA Pizza Kitchen). Obviously someone is expecting significant traffic flow from the hospital/hotel crossing.

Now if they'd just finish up whatever they're doing to the plumbing and get the locker room hot water back on I'd be pleased.

They are installing escalators from the second story of the new Cheesecake Factory addition to the ground floor just to the south of the ice rink (near the CA Pizza Kitchen). Obviously someone is expecting significant traffic flow from the hospital/hotel crossing.

Now if they'd just finish up whatever they're doing to the plumbing and get the locker room hot water back on I'd be pleased.

I just saw a hotel sign on the bldg, Westin? Anyway, that new hospital redevelopment/ new construction is beautifully done, on the inside.

• 4 months later...

Westin opening is scheduled for March.

Cheesecake Factory is up and running. And they have at least 50 valet spots roped off on the west side of the parking lot. Woe to the ice rink users who attempt to park nearby during mall business hours. There are some very unhappy hockey parents at Mem. City at the moment.

The walls of second floor addition to the rink that connects to the sky walk are currently lined with really creepy fake storefront designs. I don't know what the plans are for that space, but the fake stores have got to go. Let kids paint murals or something. Right now all I think about when I look up there is the marketplace from "Total Recall".

• 5 months later...

I've heard that the apartments/condos? with the trees painted on the garage was 1 of two buildings they were supposed to build, and that the second half was to cover the exposed side that got painted...which makes sense. Hopefully the construction you're talking about is the 2nd tower! Now if only there was a tower that could be built in front of that Westin to block the view of that ugly hotel :/

The second office building.

I've heard that the apartments/condos? with the trees painted on the garage was 1 of two buildings they were supposed to build, and that the second half was to cover the exposed side that got painted...which makes sense. Hopefully the construction you're talking about is the 2nd tower! Now if only there was a tower that could be built in front of that Westin to block the view of that ugly hotel :/

I've heard the same thing. I heard the same people who own Memorial City Mall own those apartments and own that empty lot and the plan was to make more apartments/condos. Those apartments were going from 3000-8000 a month.

I figured there would be some talk about this on here! It sure is going to be another office building. From what I am told it is going to be a mirror of the cemex building (14 stories) and it will be attached by walkway to the apartments garage (just like the other building is as well). I didn't realize the spec's was going away, but I do know that the new building will have a Bunker Hill address. It will also be situated a bit further back than the current office building so that the apartment views are not completely stolen. If you haven't seen the view from the penthouse up there on what now WAS the good corner, it was amazing!