• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It looks like the crosswalk will lead from the Westin and the Med Prof Bldg to the Mall, but this is just from looking at it from the outside unfinished. I plan to do some walking around inside the area soon ( I take my dad to the Hosp for transfusions bi-weekly). I am curious about the layout of everything to do with the hospital area since he has quite a few hospitalizations and appts. there and I need to be familiar with changes.

My concern is that the crosswalk may be a "crosswalk to nowhere" for awhile. I suppose the economic situation could delay construction of the retail at the mall which the crosswalk will connect to eventually. Also, it seems like the progress of the Westin slowed. Just wondering if anyone knows what's going on.

Also, by the way the intersection of Gessner and Barryknoll is scheduled to be closed for week starting Monday.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
What was torn down on the mall where that sky bridge goes across? Also looks like the sky bridge was ate up at the end and doesn't connect to anything yet.

Mervyns was torn down several months back. The sky bridge is waiting for the the new buildout where the Mervyns used to be.

• Like 1

Mervyns was torn down several months back. The sky bridge is waiting for the the new buildout where the Mervyns used to be.

Okay, its been a while so I could not really tell what was missing. The whole area is getting crowded with lots of different things to see and do. Exciting!

• Like 1

Is there a Dell store at the mall? The internet says yes, but when I call it's not a good number any more. I need a laptop part and can't stand talking to the Dell people on the phone. Everyone hates them.

I used to love the Dell kiosk, but they foolishly decided to discontinue it.

Dell made a really poor decision in choosing frustrating telephone service over personal human service.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm confused. There has been absolutely no progress made on that wretched-looking hotel next to the Decepticon *ahem* new medical tower in months. Did they run out of money? Permit issues? Does anyone know why the construction has completely stopped?

• Like 1

I make weekly treks to Memorial City to play Saturday night hockey, so I can tell you this:

Nothing has happened to the Mervyn's site, either.

The pedestrian bridge still goes nowhere.

Gessner is all torn up between the hospital and the mall.

The empty storefront of the former Sun and Ski shop is still there, unused.

The mall is constantly packed every Saturday, however.

• Like 1

I was eating at Rudi Lechner's on Wednesday with the folks, and decided to drive up Gessner to I-10 to get back to town, huge mistake, it took 5 minutes to get from there to Barryknoll, then I got stuck at the light at Barryknoll, and every single 1 of the 5 lights between there and I-10 are timed so you get to sit at them... at 10 o-clock at night.

Granted they are still doing work on the road, but I will be doing everything in my power to not drive down Gessner until this is completed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw that they put up a new wooden fence around the old Mervins area. There are also a couple of bulldozers in the empty lot.

Looks like they might start construction on the outdoor section of the mall soon.

Interesting that they tore down the Olive Garden for more parking space. Perhaps Olive Garden is going to build in the new outdoor mall area.

Anyone know?

• Like 1

Just saw that they put up a new wooden fence around the old Mervins area. There are also a couple of bulldozers in the empty lot.

Looks like they might start construction on the outdoor section of the mall soon.

Interesting that they tore down the Olive Garden for more parking space. Perhaps Olive Garden is going to build in the new outdoor mall area.

Anyone know?

Olive Garden moved to the HEB shopping center at Bunker Hill.

• Like 1

I heard there's still the fake building facades and the walkway to nowhere, just as it had been in March 2008.

I was there yesterday and all remains the same. In fact, there isn't even a fake building facade at the Mervyns site. It looks pretty bad.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having lunch at the Panera in MC Mall. It looks like they are FINALLY continuing the construction on the bridge, maybe they will work on finishing the rest of it up.

My office is nearby. I haven't seen much of anything change in about a year. It's as if we ate too many "magic" mushrooms and time just stopped. It's a good thing they finished the actual hospital before time stopped. By the way, I've heard from someone on the inside of MetroNational that the company is struggling financially, and the whole thing could possibly implode altogether. We could end up with another partially completed shell of a building. It's a good thing we're growing accustomed to seeing those around Houston. It's not Lebanon, Father. It's the economy.

• Like 1

My office is nearby. I haven't seen much of anything change in about a year. It's as if we ate too many "magic" mushrooms and time just stopped. It's a good thing they finished the actual hospital before time stopped. By the way, I've heard from someone on the inside of MetroNational that the company is struggling financially, and the whole thing could possibly implode altogether. We could end up with another partially completed shell of a building. It's a good thing we're growing accustomed to seeing those around Houston. It's not Lebanon, Father. It's the economy.

Not true. It drives me nuts on these forums that people keep posting this speculative crap. I've posted many times in this forum on this very subject that there was a problem with the windows in both the Tower and the Hotel. That's why things are moving slow, period.

I've seen people posting that funding was pulled, that Metro National was going belly up, etc. I don't get it. I remember that in a thread about the new condo's going up on the south side of I-10 and Bunker Hill someone was going ballistic about the faux-stucco being used over the entire face of the building when it was painfully clear to anyone that they were simply pulling the parking garage veneer around the front of the building for ascetics. Of course I posted that observation and now one can see I was correct.

I know that forums are built around the principle of speculation but why does everyone err to the negative rather than the positive when we're talking about any project happening outside of the 610 loop?

Edited by SpringShadows
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

They're definitely expanding/finishing the pedestrian walkway. No sign of building any addition to the mall yet.

The new brick crosswalks and street prettifications on Gessner are looking really nice. Hopefully the construction barriers leave soon and there are safer places for people to wait for the bus than the gutter of Gessner!

Also, the hotel facade is getting finished as well.

• 7 months later...