Becks replaces Clemens in mall lineup

Chain takes new tack with full-service restaurant

By DAVID KAPLAN

Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Becks is on deck, and the Rocket has been benched.

In 2005, plans were announced for a Roger Clemens' Rocket Sports Grill in Memorial City Mall.

But that concept has been scrapped.

Coming out of the bullpen to take its place is another homegrown talent, this one known for mesquite-grilled burgers and shakes: Becks Prime.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/5871202.html

• Like 1

By DAVID KAPLAN

In 2005, plans were announced for a Roger Clemens' Rocket Sports Grill in Memorial City Mall.

Coming out of the bullpen to take its place is another homegrown talent, this one known for mesquite-grilled burgers and shakes: Becks Prime.

I was just about to post that.

Looks like we actually even had a topic already here since January 2006, who knew.

The place has been built out for years it seems. Just never opened.

By DAVID KAPLAN

This had so much potential...to be material for stand-up comedians across the country...

• Like 1

Any rumors as to what the skywalk is gonna end up in? Are they going to be building a department store of some sort (maybe a Nordstroms?) or are they going to build space for more smaller retail stores, in that grassy area? Or is this the area they were talking about buidling an aquarium?

• Like 1

They have been toying around with lots of ideas to replace the surface parking. Obviously and surface parking removed will have to be replaced with garages. The skywalk that is built will eventually connect to the Mall in some way. Currently it will just access the surface parking. There were plans at one time for an Aquarium in that corning of the mall by I-10 and Gessner.

The developer is trying make the area a cohesive urban development. Of course having the Hospital attached to the mall helps when you get stabbed by some of the crowd I've seen there.

• Like 1

They have been toying around with lots of ideas to replace the surface parking. Obviously and surface parking removed will have to be replaced with garages. The skywalk that is built will eventually connect to the Mall in some way. Currently it will just access the surface parking. There were plans at one time for an Aquarium in that corning of the mall by I-10 and Gessner.

The developer is trying make the area a cohesive urban development. Of course having the Hospital attached to the mall helps when you get stabbed by some of the crowd I've seen there.

That is really funny joke but has no merit. I work in oil and gas, my wife and I are 30-somethings and we make really good money. We bought a house in Spring Shadows north of I-10 and I have been here now for 2 years. We could have gone far more glamorous, like the heights but liked the neighborhood and schools because my wife grew up there. I

• 2 weeks later...

OMG, did I find something new regarding the skywalk!?!?

Updated rendering of the skywalk connection to the mall.

142u240.jpg

source

As part of the overall Memorial City development, a new retail/merchandising zone is planned for the west side of Memorial City Mall. The multi-million dollar renovation will instill a new
Edited by Pumapayam

• 1 month later...
I guess that's where the Cheesecake Factory will be going

My understanding from someone who is a GM for the company is that all expansions in Houston have been put on hold. They are opening some restuarants in other cities but they scaled their expansions WAY back.

My understanding from someone who is a GM for the company is that all expansions in Houston have been put on hold. They are opening some restuarants in other cities but they scaled their expansions WAY back.

Probably because of our weak economy relative to the rest of the country. That section of Katy Freeway would appear to be especially hard hit.

Probably because of our weak economy relative to the rest of the country. That section of Katy Freeway would appear to be especially hard hit.

Two things:

1. Am I wrong, or isn't the economy in Houston fairing much better relative to the rest of the country, and

2. Have you been to Mem City Mall lately? It's packed and you can't find a parking spot.

Edited by Ducks

Two things:

1. Am I wrong, or isn't the economy in Houston fairing much better relative to the rest of the country, and

2. Have you been to Mem City Mall lately? It's packed and you can't find a parking spot.

I think he was being sarcastic.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can confirm that the crosswalk from the "hospital/hotel side" of Gessner to the "mall side" is still a crosswalk to no where. I just hope it doesn't stay like this indefinitely with the economic downturn starting to affect Houston now. After all, why build more retail when there are vacancies in the mall itself? So depressing. Hope I'm wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
That's be nice. Maybe get a Nordstrom to move into Target's place?

I don't think Target is moving anywhere. That "Target" sign appears to be on a wall that currently exists. It would appear to a be sign more along the lines of "This is the way to Target." (There simply isn't space between the current end of the skywalk and the current building to fit in all of that open-air space shown in the rendering PLUS a Target store.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...