Historic Houston Theaters

Subdude

I'm not sure why the Chronicle gets so upset when some of their stuff is used on these boards. It's not like we're not going to buy their paper. They put it on their own web site for anyone to see free anyway. And it's not like we're claiming the work as our own... everyone always says "This is from the Houston Chronicle." Clear attribution.

Now a book is different. I can see why the publisher of a book wouldn't want excerpts posted... cause then people might not buy the book. There's only one book. But the paper is different each and every day - by definition. So even if somone posted all of yesterday's Chronicle on this site, it wouldn't harm today's sales.

Nevertheless they do get very antsy about it and have threatened HAIF before.

I'm not sure why the Chronicle gets so upset when some of their stuff is used on these boards. It's not like we're not going to buy their paper.

I haven't bought a newspaper in over 10 years.

They put it on their own web site for anyone to see free anyway.

Where they sell ad space, and promise our eyeballs to advertisers.

Now a book is different. I can see why the publisher of a book wouldn't want excerpts posted... cause then people might not buy the book. There's only one book. But the paper is different each and every day - by definition. So even if somone posted all of yesterday's Chronicle on this site, it wouldn't harm today's sales.

Newspaper sales don't amount to diddly anymore. Advertising is where the money comes from (just like the HAIF).

Nevertheless they do get very antsy about it and have threatened HAIF before.

The only thing I can think of is that I remember from a media law class I took in college that when it comes to copyrights and trademarks that if you aren't vigilant about enforcing it, you could lose potentially lose it, especially for trademarks.

But again, we aren't appropriating the Chronicle's name nor are we claiming the Chronicle's articles as our own. Everyone has always given then full attribution.

I contacted them once about using a few of their stories and images in an area history report I wrote. They allowed me to use them, provided I gave them attribution (which I was more than happy to do), the images could only be of a certain size, that the report would only be in pdf form, it could not be printed or placed on any website, and that it would go to no more than 100 people. All of these were very easy for me to comply with and placed no burden on me whatsoever as they all were what I was going to do anyway, but I was amazed they went into such detail.

I haven't bought a newspaper in over 10 years.

Where they sell ad space, and promise our eyeballs to advertisers.

Newspaper sales don't amount to diddly anymore. Advertising is where the money comes from (just like the HAIF).

Yes, newspapers make most of their money from advertising. I don't think the Chronicle would stay in business very long if all they received was the 50 cents that a newspaper costs.

Years ago, to my surprise, I found out that fast food restaurants make their biggest profits from the sale of drinks, not food.

Yes, newspapers make most of their money from advertising. I don't think the Chronicle would stay in business very long if all they received was the 50 cents that a newspaper costs.

Years ago, to my surprise, I found out that fast food restaurants make their biggest profits from the sale of drinks, not food.

Yep that why you pay up to 2.50 for a 20 oz... The markup on 20 oz pepsi is almost 1 buck. Whole sale is 65 cents a bottle. You buy it for 1.39

• 2 months later...

Says it was the "world's first"!

The Majestic Theater, designed by John Eberson and constructed downtown in 1923, is considered to be the most notable movie theatre built in the city.[48] The design was not of a standard theatre interior, but an outdoor plaza and garden of with a starlit sky overhead. The Mediterranean blue ceiling, inset with twinkling lights, featured clouds that floated over the heads of the audience during screenings. The Majestic was the world's first "atmospheric" movie theatre.[49]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_of_Houston

be sure to click on "atmospheric".

The new cinema book looks like it has a whole section on it. Wish I could have seen it. :mellow:

Edited by NenaE

I remember the Majestic, Metropolitan and Loews very well....it was big deal to go "down town" and see a movie at one of these theaters.

My mom says the same thing - she moved to Houston in the early 50s from a town in deep East Texas that is tiny even today (blink once and you'll miss it while driving through). Those theaters would be quite impressive now, if they were still around; I can only imagine what they must've looked like in their heyday to someone who'd grown up in the country.

• 2 weeks later...
That's pretty cool--does it include drive-ins or just indoor?

One of my local public libraries had this book and I checked it out. Yes, one of the chapters is about drive-in theatres. I liked that aerial photo of the Post Oak taken in the early 1950s. It said that is where the Williams Tower is today. But there's one thing I read that I never knew before. It said that one of the things which led to the demise of DIs was when Daylight Savings Time started in 1967. I thought that we have always had DST. I read somewhere that DST was conceived by Benjamin Franklin as a joke.

One of my local public libraries had this book and I checked it out. Yes, one of the chapters is about drive-in theatres. I liked that aerial photo of the Post Oak taken in the early 1950s. It said that is where the Williams Tower is today. But there's one thing I read that I never knew before. It said that one of the things which led to the demise of DIs was when Daylight Savings Time started in 1967. I thought that we have always had DST.

Daylight Savings Time was enacted during WWII but went away after the war. It came back in the late sixties as a way of saving energy. Politicians thought people would use less electricity for lights if there were more daylight hours.

Anyway, DST was one of the reasons drive-ins went away. With standard time, movies started at a reasonable hour, but with DST, it didn't get dark enough to start a movie until around 8:30pm. It totally messed with your evening timing. Nobody wanted to wait up that long to see a movie.

Rising land prices and film fees theater owners pay finally put the nail in the coffin for drive-ins. They just got too expensive to run. Land values went up and up, meaning property taxes also went up and up, and drive-ins finally threw in the towel in the 80s. There are still a few of them around, but very few.

and the ever growing popularity of Television.

Major film studios tried everything to keep the Drive In & walk in theaters alive ie; 3-D process and other outrageous gimmick's. Most books on the subject describe in great detail.

I would like to add that violence was a major factor for closings. (Especially in Houston) I recall the 6 screen Drive-In theater in Greenspoint shut down after a mere, what was it 3-4 years? By early 80's it was the hot spot for serious gang wars. Oy vey!

Drive-In's would never work in today's environment, whole other topic. Imagine almost every person on their cell phones while watching the screen? Add Ipods and earth shaking boom box music. People simply do not respect each other any more. :(

I would like to add that violence was a major factor for closings. (Especially in Houston) I recall the 6 screen Drive-In theater in Greenspoint shut down after a mere, what was it 3-4 years? By early 80's it was the hot spot for serious gang wars. Oy vey!

Not sure where you got your facts, but the I-45 Drive-In lasted for 10 years (1982-92) and closed because the area was being built up and the owner wanted to put a shopping center there. With a Wal-Mart being built next door in 1989 and the North Freeway being expanded in 1990, that was no longer a viable site for a drive-in, either from a viewing or economic perspective.

Here's two stories about the theatre's demise from the Chronicle, neither of which mention violence as the reason for closing:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=1992_1035533

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=1992_1039552

Did we forget the Houston Music Theatre in Sharpstown

I remember that place, if it is the same one that's called the Arena Theater now.Was built circular, in the round... Sits between two tall bldgs, on Hwy 59 So. Hard to believe, but when my family went there to see a play in the 60's, there was nothing but fields & chain link fences behind & around it. Right before Sharpstown.

Sevfiv, great pics. love the b/w ones especially. Thank goodness for Bob Bailey & those pics!

*I never heard much talk about the Bluebonnet growing up. Didn't last long, from what I've heard. The Broadway was popular, & the Santa Rosa (I think) might have hurt their business.

My dad liked to tell a story of reading an ad in the newspaper about a new spy movie playing at the Holmes Rd.? Drive-In, (later 610 Loop S) HUMM? Wonder what this is? It was "Dr. No". He loved the James Bond movies! The "original" ones, of course, with Sean Connery. :wub:

* Edit: I confused the Plaza with the Bluebonnet, as many do. See my post below for more info.

Edited by NenaE

• 4 months later...
Houston_Theater_Ads.jpg

Thanks Isuredid for posting these newspaper theater ad. listings, shows which movie theaters were in business at the same time, which could have been affiliated, and which ones were independently operated, at that particular time, of course.

I have found that people often confuse the East End/ SE End - Broadway street theaters.

The Bluebonnet was located at 1015 Broadway, one st. North of Lawndale (near Harrisburg).

The Broadway was located at 1325 Broadway, just South of Lawndale (near Harrisburg).

The Plaza is listed on the above ad as *3818 Broadway, near intersection of Broadway & Gulf Frwy. (I-45S) (in Park Place). It is listed under Independent Suburban Theaters, possibly why it did not survive very long with the competition. (Heard also, as mentioned in an above post, that it competed with the Broadway & Santa Rosa.) *Can anyone verify the Plaza address for me? it's blury in the ad.

Reason for edit: Plaza theater address verified by Gnu, see below post.

Bob Bailey collection, Bluebonnet Theater link: http://www.cah.utexas.edu/db/dmr/dmr_resul...ed&folder=5

Edited by NenaE

Thanks Isuredid for posting these newspaper theater ad. listings, shows which movie theaters were in business at the same time, which could have been affiliated, and which ones were independently operated, at that particular time, of course.

I have found that people often confuse the East End/ SE End - Broadway street theaters.

The Bluebonnet was located at 1015 Broadway, one st. North of Lawndale (near Harrisburg).

The Broadway was located at 1325 Broadway, just South of Lawndale (near Harrisburg).

The Plaza is listed on the above ad as *3816? Broadway, near intersection of Broadway & Gulf Frwy. (I-45S) (in Park Place). It is listed under Independent Suburban Theaters, possibly why it did not survive very long with the competition. (Heard also, as mentioned in an above post, that it competed with the Broadway & Santa Rosa.) *Can anyone verify the Plaza address for me? it's blury in the ad.

My magnifying glass shows the address of the Plaza Theater was 1325 Broadway. Apparently the Broadway Theater was named the Plaza in an earlier life.

The Plaza is listed on the above ad as *3816? Broadway, near intersection of Broadway & Gulf Frwy. (I-45S) (in Park Place). It is listed under Independent Suburban Theaters, possibly why it did not survive very long with the competition. (Heard also, as mentioned in an above post, that it competed with the Broadway & Santa Rosa.) *Can anyone verify the Plaza address for me? it's blury in the ad.

the former Plaza is still extant...

see my previous posting about the Plaza in the Alrey theater thread:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...st&p=104433

Another theater that showed art films for a short time (in the late-forties), was the Plaza/Vogue Theater. It's the old theater near the circle at Broadway and 45 (which is currently a Pawn Shop) and opened in about 1941 as the Plaza Theater.

When the Santa Rosa opened nearby in 1947 (on Telephone Road), The Plaza, faced with the new competition from the Interstate-owned competitor, struggled and was eventually sold. The new owner renamed it the Vogue and started showing art films. The experiment did not last long and it soon reverted back to The Plaza. It only remained a theater until about 1951.

the current address of the pawn shop is 3818.

Edited by gnu

the former Plaza is still extant...

see my previous posting about the Plaza in the Alrey theater thread:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...st&p=104433

Another theater that showed art films for a short time (in the late-forties), was the Plaza/Vogue Theater. It's the old theater near the circle at Broadway and 45 (which is currently a Pawn Shop) and opened in about 1941 as the Plaza Theater.

When the Santa Rosa opened nearby in 1947 (on Telephone Road), The Plaza, faced with the new competition from the Interstate-owned competitor, struggled and was eventually sold. The new owner renamed it the Vogue and started showing art films. The experiment did not last long and it soon reverted back to The Plaza. It only remained a theater until about 1951.

the current address of the pawn shop is 3818.

Thanks Gnu, saw one of your references to the Plaza, in a previous thread, but it was the one with no address. When I did a search, I couldn't always access the exact post I needed, just gave me the Historic category, not the actual post, :angry2: .

So, they were all separate theaters, as I thought.

As a kid, that Plaza movie theater/ pawn shop was one of those many things that caught my eye, when passing by.

Amazing to find that newspaper movie section. Remember this was one of the MAIN reasons we used to buy the newspaper was to see what was showing at local neighborhood theaters?

Even more amazing is that The Wayside Theater is listed! be sure to glance at the Bob Bailey pics of the Opening Ceremonies which included none other than Bob Hope as master of ceremonies?! What! :o:)

Its sad the entertainment industry was going thru so many new innovative changes that made these nabe theaters a short lived but very fun experience. (Still flipping out on The Wayside) pass by this spot now and well....best remember the way it was.

Where was the Lindale Theater? Is the building still there?

BTW, that newspaper page is from 1942. "Orchestra Wives" was playing at the North Main, Wayside, and Delman Theaters. That's a great movie if you are a Glenn Miller fan, though the plot is a little corny.

The Lindale Theater was located at 5006 Fulton. Was opened in 1941, as an independent neighborhood theater, in it's early days it survived on B movies, later named the Al Ray. The building has been torn down. This info. was found in Cinema Houston by David Welling, p. 132. Also see Gnu's post link above, for more info.

Edited by NenaE

The Lindale Theater was located at 5006 Fulton. Was opened in 1941, as an independent neighborhood theater, in it's early days it survived on B movies, later named the Al Ray. The building has been torn down. This info. was found in Cinema Houston by David Welling, p. 132. Also see Gnu's post link above, for more info.

Now you really have my curiousity going! :o

Could this 2006 Fulton be the very same location of what was once known as The Stardust Ballroom? Is this where Fulton curves and bends in front of Moody Park???

I was told that the old (now gone) Stardust was once a bowling alley but I also heard there was a theater next door? They said it was converted in the 50's?

This is real hardcore Houston history as far as I am concerned anyway.

The Stardust was finally swept away around 1989?

Maybe here is the question: What now stands at 2006 Fulton? Anyone? :D

Now you really have my curiousity going! :o

Could this 2006 Fulton be the very same location of what was once known as The Stardust Ballroom? Is this where Fulton curves and bends in front of Moody Park???

I was told that the old (now gone) Stardust was once a bowling alley but I also heard there was a theater next door? They said it was converted in the 50's?

This is real hardcore Houston history as far as I am concerned anyway.

The Stardust was finally swept away around 1989?

Maybe here is the question: What now stands at 2006 Fulton? Anyone? :D

It's 5006 Fulton, not 2006. This is north of Moody Park - a few blocks north of the intersection of Fulton and Cavalcade.

5006 Fulton is now the site of the "Fulton Mansion" built a few years ago that's been discussed on HAIF previously.

It's 5006 Fulton, not 2006. This is north of Moody Park - a few blocks north of the intersection of Fulton and Cavalcade.

5006 Fulton is now the site of the "Fulton Mansion" built a few years ago that's been discussed on HAIF previously.

Makes sense I guess. Perhaps that Lindale Theater was short lived as it seems the larger ones like The Granada were as close then came Northline Mall Cinema.

Northline's was somewhat decent in or around 1967-68 barely remember seeing Snow White & the 7 Dwarves there as a child (slept thru most of it I'm sure).

Now it would be remade as ...Chola White & the 7 Gangbangers. :lol:

I remember going to the Al Ray in 1965 with my wife to be, in fact, on our first date. We saw "Zorba the Greek". In those days it showed foreign films and was one of the few place to see European films.

I remember going to the Al Ray in 1965 with my wife to be, in fact, on our first date. We saw "Zorba the Greek". In those days it showed foreign films and was one of the few place to see European films.

Is it really true that names like Al Ray and Don Gordon were named after specific film actors?

Notice most of our theaters were either named after the neighborhoods or a person?

I still wonder about names like The Azteca but I do nto think it was named after the diversity of the area. I mean there were names of theaters in LA like The Egyptian and I am sure there were not a bunch of Egyptian's strolling around the hood. :)

Theaters with names like "Azteca" and "The Egyptian" likely derived their names from the architecture of the buildings they were housed in. Exotic architectural styles like "Egyptian" or "Oriental" were very popular in the 1920s. Many proprietors felt that they were especially suited for the novel and fantasy-like atmosphere of a movie theater.