Historic Houston Theaters

Subdude

Theaters with names like "Azteca" and "The Egyptian" likely derived their names from the architecture of the buildings they were housed in. Exotic architectural styles like "Egyptian" or "Oriental" were very popular in the 1920s. Many proprietors felt that they were especially suited for the novel and fantasy-like atmosphere of a movie theater.

There was also a worldwide fascination with anything Egyptian in the 1920's due to the discovery of King Tut's tomb.

Is it really true that names like Al Ray and Don Gordon were named after specific film actors?

When I attended Jackson JHS and Austin SH back in the '50's, I recall hearing that the Don Gordon Theater was named after the owner's two sons. I vaguely remember that one of them - don't know which - was in the same grade as I was. Facts get less distinct with the passing of time...

hearing that the Don Gordon Theater was named after the owner's two sons. I vaguely remember that one of them - don't know which - was in the same grade as I was. Facts get less distinct with the passing of time...

Correct, it was stated in a past theaters website, we always assumed it was named for a B actor named Don Gordon but that seemed unlikely especially if not a well known celeb.

I was somewhat fortunate to visit some of our last great movie palaces here in Houston as a child. We all have our distinct memories of them.

I remember the stage lights dimming and red velvet curtains slowly opening to the sides. Everyone hurrying to be seated while the ushers sat people down holding flashlights. The nice crushed swirling velvet carpetting. The theaters seemed cavernous too. The balcony was always a mystery as most times it was roped off with those neat red velvet roped off roles w/brass. There was always that space between the entry from the concessions that had port holes where you could stand tippy toe and see the film on the screen. By the mid to late 60's we kids only wanted to see giant monster films and they seemed as big as life on the big wide Cinemascope/Cinerama screens. The sound of Godzilla was as reall as can be. Even waiting outside under the flickering marquee lights was fun and you always got to see the posters of the upcoming films on the outside poster glass casings. Fun, fun days. :P

We thought those 1940/50's theaters were beautiful but mom always said they were nothing compared to the older ones in our very own downtown Houston! The Metropolitan/ Lowe's State, etc.

They were palaces.

• 4 months later...

Would anybody by chance have any information about a Sunset Theater on McGowen? This would have been from sometime in the 40's. A picture would be great.

I am not refering to the Sunset drive in, which seems to be the only result I can get for "Sunset theater".

Thanks,

Rhino

Would anybody by chance have any information about a Sunset Theater on McGowen? This would have been from sometime in the 40's. A picture would be great.

I am not refering to the Sunset drive in, which seems to be the only result I can get for "Sunset theater".

Thanks,

Rhino

I went there many Saturdays, as a youngster in the early 40's, to see cowboy movies. Did take a date there in the early 50's. It was at McGowen and Chenevert. Built around 1940, if I remember correctly, by Albert Farb, father of Houston apartment developer, Harold Farb.

• 8 months later...

THE MAJESTIC AND THE METROPOLITAN THEATERS WERE LOCATED IN DOWNTOWN HOUSTON........THE SEATS WERE ON A SLANT FROM TOP TO BOTTOM AND THEY HAD A BALCONY....ALSO MINI BALCONIES BUT NO ONE SAT IN THOSE..........VERY OLD ARCHITECTURE BUT TORN TOWN FOR PARKING LOTS. LOWES, ALABAMA, FORGOT THE REST

The church is a former movie theater. I remember passing by it on our way home from visiting family in that area. I was really little but I do remember around the mid to late 70s it being an X rated movie theater (didn't know what that meant then). I remember asking my dad if we could go see a movie there and he told me no because the movies there were dirty. First thing that came to mind was that there was probably alot of naked people in those movies. Which raised my curiosity even more...... smile.gif

The Avalon theater is gone as of 9-15-2009 Just a open lot of 1.5 Acr. for sale $1.5 mil

Racehorse East End To The End Milby class 1954

• 1 month later...

Is it really true that names like Al Ray and Don Gordon were named after specific film actors? Notice most of our theaters were either named after the neighborhoods or a person?

Actually, the AlRay was named for the two guys who bought it in 1960. Al Zarzana and Raymond Boriski. Zarzana died this week, and there was a big story about him in the Chron. He owned several movie houses around town. http://blogs.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/2009/11/obituary_al_zarzana_73_theater_owner_1.html

Does anyone remember a movie theater near the Granada called the "North Houston Movie Theatre"? My mom worked there back in the 50's. I would love to get her some info or photos, but I have hit a dead end. I know that it was next to Harold's (men's clothing) on Jensen Drive. Any memories or information that you may have would be greatly appreciated.

I am also looking for Houston dinner theatre photos from 60's and 70's. Specifically, the Dean Goss Dinner Theatre. Thanks.

Edited by wendish

Oh, I forgot I made a Google map of theaters, too (extant and demolished):

http://maps.google.c...77&ll=29.758417,-95.313263&spn=0.89652,1.234589&t=h&z=10

Great pictures and map, two more you might add to your map.

Bluebonnet Theater

1015 Broadway

1930 to 1950

Broadway Theater

1325 Broadway

1950 to 1969

Thnx, sevfiv, for the list. I was just looking up (on GoogleEarth) a few of the old theaters, around Lyons Ave. Can be tricky, as street names change (Odin - Lyons in some areas). BTW - that vacant land on that side of town is eerie.

Two more from the cinema book are the New Sunset at 711 San Felipe & Zoe at 502.1/2 Milam.

Can your list be easily alphabetized?

Something also to keep in mind, thru the yrs. (sometimes) theaters change names.

Edited by NenaE

I'm not sure if Google map points can be ordered in any other way but I'll see.

There are tons of name changes (and I should try to add them) but for now I just tried to use the original name or the best known one.

Yeah, was just reminding others if they don't see the theater they are looking for, may be listed under a different name.

Could be a very time-consuming endeavor, but I would like to have my own list, as well.

Thnx, sevfiv, for the list. I was just looking up (on GoogleEarth) a few of the old theaters, around Lyons Ave. Can be tricky, as street names change (Odin - Lyons in some areas). BTW - that vacant land on that side of town is eerie.

Two more from the cinema book are the New Sunset at 711 San Felipe & Zoe at 502.1/2 Milam.

Can your list be easily alphabetized?

Something also to keep in mind, thru the yrs. (sometimes) theaters change names.

Looks like there were two Zoe theaters...(see what I mean?) the first was at 719 Main (later named the Capitol), the Ideal was located at 504 Milam. Could have been the re-location for the second Zoe. You know, the Cinema book comments that a few details still remain from the first Zoe location. It dates back to 1914. It sat next to the Kress bldg. (now St. Germain lofts, Flying Saucer). Also the Crown was located next to the Zoe, at 717 Main, in the Mason Bldg.

Edited by NenaE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's an old photo I found of a movie theatre called "Garden Oaks." Where was it located?

IST-220_Houston-Gard_OaksBB-res.jpg

located on shepherd dr...go north from 610 just as you go under the railroad bridge its on the right. not sure what it is now

Here's an old photo I found of a movie theatre called "Garden Oaks." Where was it located?

IST-220_Houston-Gard_OaksBB-res.jpg

located on shepherd dr...go north from 610 just as you go under the railroad bridge its on the right. not sure what it is now

• 3 months later...

I enjoyed the balconies at these places as a kid. Very grand views. I got in trouble with the usher for dropping a jujubee from the balcony at the Majestic, and trying to land it in the cleavage of a girl below with a low cut blouse. They took us both to the manager's office, and talked to us. I ended up getting a date with that girl, and we fell in love for at least 3 weeks anyway. Too bad they couldn't be saved!

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

There used to be a Prince's at the corner of Westheimer and Montrose (site of the current Valero.)

My most vivid memory of the place was eating a hamburger and watching the KKK march down Westheimer; one of the most bizarre scenes I've ever seen. Families came, in station wagons packed with children and picnic lunches. Perhaps it was meant to be educational;

A Gomer sitting next to me noticed a Cadillac, and drawled to his wife "See there? Them fags all have nice cars."

• 8 months later...