Vote For License Plate Design

sevfiv

Want to give the Texas license plate an extreme makeover?

Starting today at noon, when the Texas Department of Transportation will ask residents to vote on the next license plate.

Residents will be able to select from five choices for the state's next general issue license plate. Four will be new designs. If you like the current plate, you may vote for it.

To vote, go to www.txdot.gov .

''We're trying to listen to what our customers are saying,'' said Rebecca Davio, TxDOT's director of Vehicles, Title and Registration. "In case Texans really like the existing plate, they can choose that."

Why change the plate at all, you may ask? Well, it's a matter of math.

The current cowboy-space shuttle-moon design was introduced in 2000. Since then, TxDOT has manufactured about 31.5 million sets of those plates.

The plate is fine. But as the state grows in population, so does the demand for license plates and TxDOT is about to run out of possible number and letter combinations using the six-digit sequencing system, Davio said.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/5511338.html

Yeah, those guys generally remind me of hicks considering their simplistic view of some things.

Edit: I voted for the "Lone Star Texas" plate. I think its nicer looking, but I'm not overly fond of the designs offered.

Edited by ricco67

It's pretty clearly San Antonio (Tower of Americas), then Dallas (4 distinct Dallas towers), randome shapes, and then Austin's skyline before the Frost was built.

You'd think at least ONE of Bank of America, Transco, Pennzoil, Heritage Plaza, Astrodome, Esperson, old Gulf, etc... would have made the cut.

You can vote twice per computer.

I voted for My Texas and Lone Star Texas though i'm not too thrilled about any.

New Texas is a disappointment.. a fake skyline conglomeration is pointless... I had read about it yesterday, had hopes for it.. but ugh.. really hope it doesn't win.

IMO, doesn't go far enough.

The current size of licence plate may have been adequate back in the early 20th century, when cars seldom exceeded 30 miles per hour. One might have had a fighting chance of actually reading the plate on a passing car, especially one with fewer characters.

Maybe my eyes aren't the best in the world, but I'm hard pressed to get more than the first three or four characters on a passing car, even one travelling at the speed limit. Licence plates should be several times their current size, and designed not for vanity, but legibility (as is the case in many European countries.)

gb_yc51tfa.jpg

Natural Texas is my choice, though I'm not really thrilled with it. I think that New Texas is meant to be a variation on the popular State of the Arts plate. But I think it is a bit too 'new' and, much like NM's yellow plates, only looks good with select color cars.

tx-arts.jpg

platelg_skyline.jpg

Edited by travelguy_73

Just my take of what I see, right or wrong makes no difference, would have liked to see the dome out there where that hill is. And make the Williams (Transco) Tower the true beacon of hope it is.

21dikg8.jpg

What I would like to see is these changes, makes more of a signature for these great landmarks

21dikg8dome-1.jpg

Updated Plate now on DOT site

platelg_skyline.jpg

Edited by Mark F. Barnes

Just my take of what I see, right or wrong makes no difference, would have liked to see the dome out there where that hill is. And make the Williams (Transco) Tower the true beacon of hope it is.

i like how you have the laser turret pointing at the dallas bldgs.

Looks like they updated the plate with the skyline... You can now clearly make out Houston buildings in the plate...

From the voting website it says:

"* - This image was updated at 5:30 p.m., February 4. Though the composite skyline is similar, we inadvertently posted the wrong image."