Anything You Want

gwilson

I'm sorry, but this forum is better with Niche, Red, and Meme contributing.

Agreed.

What is up with some Texans' extreme opposition to chili with beans? I'm as carnivore as they come, but I'm pro-bean. Chili with beans (with cheese and peppers on top) is a real meal. Chili without beans is a hot dog topping.

To me it looks like dog food without the beans.

But then, I add beans and celery and other things to stretch the chili into several meals.

I just read about RedScare, and TheNiche, and Editor, and memebag. I am sad. I hope they (can) come back, I will miss their insightful voices.

Something about the situation reminds me of Vachel Lindsay's elegiac 1919 poem "Bryan, Bryan, Bryan, Bryan" about William Jennings Bryan and the defeat of populism (what we would call liberalism today) at the turn of the last century. Here are the last few stanzas.

Leave it to HAIF to have a single thread about both beans and poetry.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vachel Lindsay quoted on HAIF - will wonders never cease. You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. B)

Awww, thanks. Vachel Lindsay is amazing, that's all I can say. I urge everyone to go read the whole poem. It'll break your heart, make you laugh out loud, take your breath away, and teach you a lot about 1890s political history.

That's my wife's problem. And I have a baby to blame on the smells...do it all the time. She's cute so she can get away with it.

Ha. Whenever my wife asks "What's that smell?" I always say "Your gas is as good as mine!" :lol:

Beans, beans, Good for the heart.

The more you eat, the more you fart.

Edit:

If i hadn't done that, someone else would have. Sorry.

Of course the other great poem about beans is:

Beans, beans, the magical fruit.

The more you eat, the more you toot.

The more you toot, the better you feel.

Let's have beans at every meal!

Yessir, that's the beans poem I grew up with.

My dad, god love him, recently taught it to his 7 year old granddaughter. Oh, the circle of life!

whoever was interested in polka....

Jak se mas?!

Mark Halata & Texavia are back at the Continental Club in Houston, this Sunday October the 18th, for their biannual Midtown Polka Dance. 3 PM to 6 PM (yes! please make note of time change).

Continental Club

3700 Main

Houston, TX

www.continentalclub.com

Hope to see you dancing!

Mark

www.halatamusic.com

My version was:

Beans, Beans, a magical fruit.

They make your pants go rudy toot toot.

I can't remember the rest.

whoever was interested in polka....

Jak se mas?!

Mark Halata & Texavia are back at the Continental Club in Houston, this Sunday October the 18th, for their biannual Midtown Polka Dance. 3 PM to 6 PM (yes! please make note of time change).

Continental Club

3700 Main

Houston, TX

www.continentalclub.com

Hope to see you dancing!

Mark

www.halatamusic.com

That's fun. When I lived in Wisconsin there was a tiny little 250-watt daytime-only AM station that played polka. A little mom-and-pop operation on the edge of a lake out in farm country bouncing polka music off the cows. Very quaint.

Since then, it's been bought by one of the big radio chains and now squeaks out satellite-fed ESPN Radio. Sad.

Before or after you ate it?

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day...+1 for you. laugh.gif

I'd like to explain myself for the bizarre posting behavior I've done recently, but not until the "Jerk Meter" (and possibly "The HAIF/Alcohol Paradox") threads are locked. unsure.gif

Short version...I'm sorry.

Long version...coming soon.

I'd like to explain myself for the bizarre posting behavior I've done recently, but not until the "Jerk Meter" (and possibly "The HAIF/Alcohol Paradox") threads are locked. unsure.gif

Short version...I'm sorry.

Long version...coming soon.

Can't say I am curious, but I guess I will take the wait and see approach.

Can't say I am curious, but I guess I will take the wait and see approach.

Hate to break it to you, but no tragedies or substance abuse took place...just a few good ideas that made really bad threads. Now, the reason I was banned from another site did have reasons (and their diplomacy is terrible).

look like the heights fire bug is no longer a mystery. lol

girlscout.jpg

Speaking of fires, there was a REALLY bad fire out here on FM 1960 this past weekend. It totally destroyed Cornelius nursery. Now here is the odd part ...

... They have had signs up saying "Everything 50% off ... Closing (or moving...)"

I find it highly odd they would just burn down before a big move...

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of fires, there was a REALLY bad fire out here on FM 1960 this past weekend. It totally destroyed Cornelius nursery. Now here is the odd part ...

... They have had signs up saying "Everything 50% off ... Closing (or moving...)"

I find it highly odd they would just burn down before a big move...

That is the second Cornelius that burned up in the last couple of years.

Archived