Anything You Want

gwilson

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Editor, please explain this:

Nothing to explain. It's the same as with disabling posting access. Spammers have been known to spread their spam through the HAIF PM system. There are a few people here who have been hit by it as recently as last month.

For someone who quit HAIF, RedScare certainly spends an awful lot of time here.

Did we figure out that IronTiger and citykid are the same person? Are they both plastic?

Depends. Plastic didn't live in Brazos County, did he?

And even if Plastic, me, and citykid are one and the same, it would be quite a talented person to manage two different IPs with completely different views (citykid is/was an Obama fan, I am not).

Nothing to explain. It's the same as with disabling posting access. Spammers have been known to spread their spam through the HAIF PM system. There are a few people here who have been hit by it as recently as last month.

So...you're telling me that his PMing privliges weren't suspended as an inactive account until after he PMed me complaining that his posting privliges had been suspended and I proceeded to ignorantly raise cain on his behalf on the public forums? One would think that both posting and PMing privliges would be suspended at the same time if you were just carrying out standard HAIF security procedures; was this merely an initial error on your part that you remembered to fix days later? Are you sure that it isn't a punitive action? That's how it looks.

For someone who quit HAIF, RedScare certainly spends an awful lot of time here.

His account obviously is not inactive, as you point out. He's merely lurking, like so many others whose posting and PMing privliges are allowed. Why treat him differently from any other lurker, then?

Wait a sec.

Red left?

How in the world did I miss that bit of news?

A lot of people missed the blow-up that led to Red's departure. Probably has to do with that Editor posted a defense of the actions and insulting statements he made that prompted Red to leave and that he then closed the thread (the one about citykid's aspirations for the Texas entertainment industry) behind him so that nobody could keep it going with dissenting opinions. Since it can't be bumped, few will ever read it and know of the atrocities against intellectualism that were committed there.

I know these two guys. They are smart, good people.

They got into a disagreement. I suspect that the anger that lead to the disagreement had very little to do with the other one, because it is uncharacteristic for these two to act with such derision. They can be sarcastic and a little passive-aggressive, but not truly derisive as a habit. In their disagreement, they have created an unhealthy spat – unhealthy for both of them and unhealthy for the community which knows them.

The irony is that they already have lost face over this disagreement. They have come off as petty and small. Yet, each feels that he may lose face by capitulation, apology, and rectification (the process whereby they figure out how they would not to fall into such disagreement again). It is painful to admit wrong. In the end, their issue is a matter of living manhood through humility and good grace or living manhood through shwang.

We should be hopeful and prayerful for these two guys. They really are good people.

His account obviously is not inactive, as you point out. He's merely lurking, like so many others whose posting and PMing privliges are allowed. Why treat him differently from any other lurker, then?

That's a good point. Based on the number of members with a small handful of posts, there are plenty of lurkers who rarely post anything, and yet they maintain the privileges to do so. The difference between them and Red is that he had a post that was deemed offensive (although many of us didn't see it before the edit), and then he quit out of aggravation. He says it wasn't the first time one of his posts was either edited or deleted, so it seems that a series of events culminated with this recent spat.

I've personally never found Red's posts offensive, and I enjoyed his engaging wit and sarcasm. I suppose he can be intimidating to some new members who might misunderstand him, but I can't recall him personally attacking anyone. Sarcasm, yes, but not personal attacks. I think his departure diminishes the intellectual value of HAIF.

I know these two guys. They are smart, good people.

They got into a disagreement. I suspect that the anger that lead to the disagreement had very little to do with the other one, because it is uncharacteristic for these two to act with such derision. They can be sarcastic and a little passive-aggressive, but not truly derisive as a habit. In their disagreement, they have created an unhealthy spat – unhealthy for both of them and unhealthy for the community which knows them.

The irony is that they already have lost face over this disagreement. They have come off as petty and small. Yet, each feels that he may lose face by capitulation, apology, and rectification (the process whereby they figure out how they would not to fall into such disagreement again). It is painful to admit wrong. In the end, their issue is a matter of living manhood through humility and good grace or living manhood through shwang.

We should be hopeful and prayerful for these two guys. They really are good people.

Yes.

But why is your font so tiny?

I don't Well, know enough about what happened to make a judgement one way or another, but in the past I have seen Red make a rather pointed post to another user, but I wouldn't say it was a personal attack (in fact, I think it was junction jack).

I like Red's posts and his general philosphy on different matters, even if it conflicts with mine, but I just hope whatever happens settles down to where everyone chills out.

Or do we have to have a Scotch summit?

Egos are huge, but delicate.

I don't Well, know enough about what happened to make a judgement one way or another, but in the past I have seen Red make a rather pointed post to another user, but I wouldn't say it was a personal attack (in fact, I think it was junction jack).

I like Red's posts and his general philosphy on different matters, even if it conflicts with mine, but I just hope whatever happens settles down to where everyone chills out.

Dude! Ricco, I can't believe you've missed all this.

I think you have summed it up: egos.

Your goddamn men, tend to usually ruin it for others.

Dude! Ricco, I can't believe you've missed all this.

I think you have summed it up: egos.

Your goddamn men, tend to usually ruin it for others.

I have been rather busy for a couple of weeks and have limited myself to reading certain topics.

As I've told my daughter, egos need a little TLC they can be shattered easily or hidden away if its wounded.

I may be one of the more ignorant members of the system, just because I'm a guy, I'm not a complete idiot.

This being an architecture forum, and myself some kind of (inebriated) freak of nature, the first two things to come to mind upon reading this were: (1) hell yes! and (2) you should've drawn an analogy between egos and concrete in that both have the capacity to support greatness yet are suprisingly brittle.

Having said that, Red had been expressing disatisfaction privately over Editor's actions for months prior to Editor having bloviated all over himself and driven Red off. This was no isolated spat, merely the straw that broke the camel's back.

I want to give Editor well-deserved credit for having created such a wonderful forum. I really do. But he's his own worst enemy at times. Going back to the concrete/ego analogy, he needs to understand that this is going to apply to his most productive members. He needs to recognize that his role is not unlike that of a structural engineer, except that he has to be a social engineer. Misuse one material in a structure and it will crumble in short order (perhaps too quickly for him to take a picture of it to further his professional portfolio); and he can no more expect to change who someone is than he can to change the tensile strength of concrete. Editor needs to be cautious yet opportunistic. He has to walk a tightrope. It is not easy, and I would not want to be in his shoes. Honestly, I don't think I could do as good a job as he does at it--being an armchair quarterback is much more enjoyable--my humility does not by any means indicate that he can't improve, though.

Like porchman (who should be applauded for having raised the level of conversation out of the gutter that I'd left it in), I hope that this issue will ultimately be resolved. ...but I'm not so confident that it can be. I'm looking to Editor to prove me wrong.

Isn't that the same way memebag left, too? (with less drama, of course)

I decided to log in tonight for the first time in over four months, just to find one of my three favorite posters had finally had enough of the editor's shenanigans. What a shame.

Bye again. I wish I could think of something more dramatic to say.

Oh wait...

You're all DOOMED! DOOMED!!

i recommend the thread title should be changed to ALMOST Anything You Want.

i've actually had a great time seeing the various attempts to censor redscare. he posted in a thread...it was deleted and his ability to post was deleted. he posted in the recent status updates....it was deleted. he started PM'ing people....and his ability to PM was deleted. he mentioned his status as a super haifer was deleted in the recent status updates and that was deleted. how could that happen without some intent? my new favorite is he's updated his signature so over 10000 posts mention that he's been censored by the editor. that hasn't been deleted yet.

the confusing explanation is because he didn't post for a few days, his ability to post was taken away. i know personally that i left for months and returned and i had no problem posting again.

Come on now folks this is not the first time editor trashed our fair city just read his post in his profile look from around 2007 era you will see.

I think its time to start another forum based on Houston it may never be a large forum like this one but its worth a try.

You can learn alot just sitting back reading what people type.

So...you're telling me that his PMing privliges weren't suspended as an inactive account until after he PMed me complaining that his posting privliges had been suspended and I proceeded to ignorantly raise cain on his behalf on the public forums?

Yep. That's exactly what happened. When Red, who claimed he was leaving HAIF, returned to HAIF and started whining it reminded me to turn off the PM feature, too. I'd forgotten to do it the first time. I would thank RedScare for reminding me, but he says he's no longer interested in participating in HAIF. Except, of course, that he still visits HAIF.

One would think that both posting and PMing privliges would be suspended at the same time if you were just carrying out standard HAIF security procedures;

It's a web site, not an ICBM installation. There is no thick black book listing security procedures. Sorry to disappoint.

was this merely an initial error on your part that you remembered to fix days later? Are you sure that it isn't a punitive action? That's how it looks.

So... do you think that because I forgot to turn it off before, I shouldn't turn if off when I remember? You think I should leave an open vector for spammers to operate on HAIF?

Because he indicated that he was through with HAIF. He did not state that he was no longer going to post and merely lurk. He stated that he was leaving the community. As stated before, all RedScare has to do to have his posting privileges restored is ask. He has my e-mail address. But I haven't heard a peep from him.

few will ever read it and know of the atrocities against intellectualism that were committed there.

I can only assume that you're trying to be funny here. All I did was remove a sentence of name-calling from one of RedScare's posts and he had a tantrum.

Hate to break it to both you and RedScare, but name calling isn't exactly intellectualism. I'm still not sure why he thinks he doesn't have to respect the other HAIFers.

Come on now folks this is not the first time editor trashed our fair city just read his post in his profile look from around 2007 era you will see.

To be fair, I've been critical of lots of cities in online forums, including HAIF. I think Toronto got it way worse than Houston. And before anyone assumes I'm a Chicago booster, on one of HAIF's sister sites I regularly remind the Second City that it's not as great as people like to think. I've gotten more than one angry e-mail about my criticism of Chicago.

I'm not a member of the Houston Chamber of Commerce, so I'm not required to be the city's cheerleader. I created HAIF as a place where people can discuss their opinions of the city, good and bad. I'm allowed to express my opinion, too. And I think everyone should be allowed to express themselves without fear of being ridiculed or belittled. But RedScare, and his proxy TheNiche, seem to think that name calling and ridiculing others is OK. It is not. It's not my fault if Red can't play by the same rules that govern pre-schoolers.

I'm no longer interested in debating this with you, Niche. If Red wants to talk to me, he can do so directly. He has my e-mail address. He used it as recently as a couple of weeks ago. But communicating through a surrogate is not productive, and not the best use of my time. If anyone else on HAIF has questions, they can contact me as well. I've never hidden my e-mail address: editor@houstonarchitecture.com.

To be fair, I've been critical of lots of cities in online forums, including HAIF. I think Toronto got it way worse than Houston. And before anyone assumes I'm a Chicago booster, on one of HAIF's sister sites I regularly remind the Second City that it's not as great as people like to think. I've gotten more than one angry e-mail about my criticism of Chicago.

I'm not a member of the Houston Chamber of Commerce, so I'm not required to be the city's cheerleader. I created HAIF as a place where people can discuss their opinions of the city, good and bad. I'm allowed to express my opinion, too. And I think everyone should be allowed to express themselves without fear of being ridiculed or belittled. But RedScare, and his proxy TheNiche, seem to think that name calling and ridiculing others is OK. It is not. It's not my fault if Red can't play by the same rules that govern pre-schoolers.

I'm no longer interested in debating this with you, Niche. If Red wants to talk to me, he can do so directly. He has my e-mail address. He used it as recently as a couple of weeks ago. But communicating through a surrogate is not productive, and not the best use of my time. If anyone else on HAIF has questions, they can contact me as well. I've never hidden my e-mail address: editor@houstonarchitecture.com.

OK, then, what is your favorite city? I did believe you thought Houston was a great city until that "armchair cowboys" comment...

And for the record, I know the "Red never personally insulted anyone" is not true. I speak from experience.

Like I said before, if anyone really wants to steer the topic from Red (to prevent this thread from being locked) some topics include:

a) Renaissance Fair

B) Music preferences

c) What glue tastes like

big thumbs up to anyone who saw vicente fernandez this evening....best concert i've seen in a decade.

That fool is still around? People STILL listen to his stuff? Wowugh.

Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends. ~Richard Bach

Thanks for that. /sarcasm

OK, then, what is your favorite city? I did believe you thought Houston was a great city until that "armchair cowboys" comment...

My favorite city changes as I travel and see more of the world. It's funny, when I was in college Vancouver was my favorite city. After my most recent visit last month... not so much anymore.

I'd like to find a city that's as interesting as Tokyo without being as frustrating as Tokyo.

I'd like to fina a city that's as classy as Vienna without being as boring as Vienna.

I'd like to find a city with Chicago or better transit, but without the temperature being below freezing for half the year.

I am soooooo over Chicago winters. And taxes (14%+ sales tax on Vitamin Water and Starbucks!)

I like most things about Houston except its transit and August. My wife misses Houston a lot. Especially the food.

I'd like to find a city with good temperatures, mature transit, a large clean downtown, and reasonable taxes. Any suggestions?

My favorite city changes as I travel and see more of the world. It's funny, when I was in college Vancouver was my favorite city. After my most recent visit last month... not so much anymore.

I'd like to find a city that's as interesting as Tokyo without being as frustrating as Tokyo.

I'd like to fina a city that's as classy as Vienna without being as boring as Vienna.

I'd like to find a city with Chicago or better transit, but without the temperature being below freezing for half the year.

I am soooooo over Chicago winters. And taxes (14%+ sales tax on Vitamin Water and Starbucks!)

I like most things about Houston except its transit and August. My wife misses Houston a lot. Especially the food.

I'd like to find a city with good temperatures, mature transit, a large clean downtown, and reasonable taxes. Any suggestions?

Time to pull out SimCity 4. Did you know between 2004 to around 2006, Dallas was my favorite Texas city? ohmy.gif

A trip in August 2005 to Galveston was the catalyst of change. By March 2008, I had fully locked in to Houstonism.

Archived