The Mix @ Midtown: Retail At 3201 Louisiana St.

bwj

So this will be the new gay cruising gym instead of Bally's in Rice Village. I didn't forget about Fitness Exchange, that will always be the main gay cruising gym. It ain't nicknamed Semen Exchange for nothing.

Good thing I workout at home. I don't like working out with all those people.

Fitness Exchange is now Crew Fitness and it's moved to the Heights. It is a good thing you work out at home... US PEOPLE don't like working out with you. -_-

I didn't mean it at "those people." Although I could have. I'm gay anyway. I just meant I don't like working out at a gym with crowds. Give me a TV and my own equipment (which i have). It saves a lot time and in the end money.

Ooo... ok. Personally I like going to a gym... it gets me out of the house and around other people. If I work out from home I end up never working out.

I will probably be joining Crew Fitness since it's closer to my house... but I will at least check out the new 24 hour fitness.

Edited by HtownWxBoy

I don't think its just the gyms in the loop. Even at 24 hour fitness in Spring, the sauna was a scary place... I won't even mention the showers & saunas in Abilene!

But its nice at 24 how you can have the option (to pay a little more) to work out in any 24 hour fitness, not just the one you signed up at.

But I'm planning on just buying a bowflex.

Ooo... ok. Personally I like going to a gym... it gets me out of the house and around other people.

I use the bars to hang around with a bunch of people.

Particularly George's because I still catch a game, socialize, and have a drink.

I use the bars to hang around with a bunch of people.

Particularly George's because I still catch a game, socialize, and have a drink.

Well I go to the bars too w/ friends to have fun and socialize... i don't really socialize much at the gym... just nice being around other people. I went to George's for the first time a few weeks ago... nice place. :)

Much better than it was when it was Bricks.

They are making money and trying to improve it bit by bit.

Their masterplan will eventually add a second floor and balcony along the side street.

So the Fiance and I walked over (we live at Calais) with the intention of getting a free 7-day pass. Turns out, Sarah's company (Deloitte) has a corporate deal that was quite good (45+25 for the two of us with no fees), so we joined up. We never would have payed their BS app/start-up fees (99+49), so I am pretty excited.

The facility is nice... the windows are great. Equipment is very nice and new. Steam room, sauna, jacquzzi and 3-lane pool are nice. They have a variety of classes scheduled throughout the day, starting at 530 AM -- abs/cycling/kickboxing/etc.

Incidentally, the 24-hour guy we signed up with (who was nice and investigated all our possible deals) said they were told a sushi restaurant, sandwich shop, and wine bar were going in on the first floor. I noticed about two days ago they started digging up the ground on the first level, I guess for plumbing installation.

So the Fiance and I walked over (we live at Calais) with the intention of getting a free 7-day pass. Turns out, Sarah's company (Deloitte) has a corporate deal that was quite good (45+25 for the two of us with no fees), so we joined up. We never would have payed their BS app/start-up fees (99+49), so I am pretty excited.

If you plan to stick around with 24 Hour Fitness, your best deals are the 3 year prepay.

The month to month is never a good deal, unless you have commitment issues with the gym or worried about moving to a new city without a 24 Hour Fitness.

I redid my month to month contract last December for a 3 year pre-pay with $649 down, and $29 renewels for all club access (active, sport, and super sport).

The application, enrollment, and training packages ($249) were built in to this $649 price.

So I basically pay $18.03/month, or if I take out the $249 for the 5 sessions, $11.11/month.

Starting January 2011, my new dues with the $29/year comes out to be $2.42/month. Pocket change.

Sign up right before the new year, it's like car buying, the week between Christmas and New Years day is the best time to go for a pre-pay deal.

The yearly renewels right now are not as nice, either $149 or $199 depending on the plan, but still at $12.42 or $16.58/month, it is worth it in the long run.

Edited by Pumapayam

Ooooh! My friend in AZ said she pays $18/month. That's what her brother got so she said, "I want that too." But she never told me HOW she got that deal. I've been holding off until I got an answer from her on that, b/c $18/month feels like free to me, that's so dirt cheap!

The month to month is never a good deal, unless you have commitment issues with the gym or worried about moving to a new city without a 24 Hour Fitness.

I would say a huge percentage of people who sign up at gyms stop going for long stretches at some point (if not entirely).

That is how gyms can get away with overselling memberships as much as they do.

If you can get the $22 corporate deal with no initiation or contract....I would say go for it.

Drove by yesterday... looks like a nice place. Went to check out Crew Fitness (closer to my place in the Heights)... nice place... very clean with new equipment... $60 a month with no initiation fees (for a month to month membership)... 24 hr fitness looks like it's $50 a month plus extra fees for one club access. I thought it would be less.

Drove by yesterday... looks like a nice place. Went to check out Crew Fitness (closer to my place in the Heights)... nice place... very clean with new equipment... $60 a month with no initiation fees (for a month to month membership)... 24 hr fitness looks like it's $50 a month plus extra fees for one club access. I thought it would be less.

Check for corporate discounts. I dont think anyone actually pays $50/month.

parking situation is horrible. the whole garage was packed earlier today. should be interesting how this is going to play out when the retail opens at the bottom floor.

Agreed...I went by at 6:15 or so, which turned out to be a mistake. All 3 floors were more or less full, even though parking is apparently only supposed to be on the top floor. I likely could have found a spot on another floor or the street, but it must have been packed as all hell in there...

Assuming that lunch is relatively crowded as well, I wonder how the parking situation might play in trying to land retail tenants

Yea I believe my company offers some sort of discount... I will need to look into it.

Where did you get that $50/month quote? I pay $25ish month-to-month for access to all clubs.. If you got that quote over the phone, I would recommend going to one to talk to someone. At the time, the lady told me that each employee can offer a couple of these discounts a month - sounded like total B.S., but it was a decent rate so I took it. That was only a few months ago, so I'd be willing to bet you can get something similar

Where did you get that $50/month quote? I pay $25ish month-to-month for access to all clubs.. If you got that quote over the phone, I would recommend going to one to talk to someone. At the time, the lady told me that each employee can offer a couple of these discounts a month - sounded like total B.S., but it was a decent rate so I took it. That was only a few months ago, so I'd be willing to bet you can get something similar

I just went to their website online... chose the club in Midtown and looked at the rates under "join today online".

I just went to their website online... chose the club in Midtown and looked at the rates under "join today online".

OK - just looked and saw the same thing. That's a rip off... I'd either call them or go there and see if they don't offer something better - if they don't, wait for some sort of promotion. That, or join Fit

i guarantee they're not giving away any $25 month-to-month plans for the new club. Not anytime soon anyway.

Check your all-access plan carefully....most of them don't include "ultra-sport" or whatever they're calling the new place.

I'm not sure why you would join FIT either when it's $50-60/month for older equipment.

i guarantee they're not giving away any $25 month-to-month plans for the new club. Not anytime soon anyway.

Check your all-access plan carefully....most of them don't include "ultra-sport" or whatever they're calling the new place.

I'm not sure why you would join FIT either when it's $50-60/month for older equipment.

Are you talking about Crew Fitness?... they have all brand new equipment.

I've already been in the new place, so apparently mine works there. From her description, I can get into any club in the country with the exception of one super-duper sport in California. I signed up at the one off of Post Oak back in January, and got the same deal for a friend a week later. Maybe certain times of the year are better for deals? You think it would be the summer, though, since people are falling off of their resolutions by this point. Whatever the case, I think I'd sign up at a different 24 hour, but one that gives you the same level of access

A few years ago I had a month-to-month with 24, and it was like $20/month but only let me work out 4 days of the week. Not sure if they still have that option, but it worked out fairly well if you had a pretty set work-out routine

No, I'm talking about FIT Athletic Club on W. Gray & Waugh. Crew looks alright but I would think parking might be an issue.

FIT is horribly overpriced, the rate there is more in the neighborhood of $75/month. But it honestly depends on who you are or who you know when you go in to sign up. There are nice things about FIT, but the space can be small and crowded.

Crew looked nice preopening, I haven't been in since. When talking to the owner, he mentioned that they planned on doing valet service for the parking because of the limited space in the complex.

The 24 hour fitness is nice, although it's a little bit of a hike for me to get to, as FIT was closer. However, I signed up in November or December on one of their Thanksgiving/XMas/New Year's deals and got in at the no money down, $24/month price, with access to all clubs, sport and super sport. There are only like 2 ultra sport clubs in the country, so don't let a plan that doesn't give you access to those discourage you.

The 24 hour fitness is going to bring some much needed foot traffic to that part of Midtown, I'm looking forward to the retail space in that building opening, and for the Mix to come along, even if it does have a stupid name.

When talking to the owner, he mentioned that they planned on doing valet service for the parking because of the limited space in the complex.

WHERE can they Valet? The closest place is Brennans, and that is almost always full, unless they're talking about Maple Leaf or where Late Nite Pie used to be. Every paved surface in the area is already being utilized.

WHERE can they Valet? The closest place is Brennans, and that is almost always full, unless they're talking about Maple Leaf or where Late Nite Pie used to be. Every paved surface in the area is already being utilized.

Please notice that my valet comments were in reference to Crew Fitness, which is in Memorial Heights/Washington. The 24 hour fitness has a parking garage attached to it for parking. Once the retail opens, I have no clue what they'll be doing.

All three floors looked packed this afternoon... glad I can just walk over. ;)

I'm sure potential retail tenants have to consider the parking issue...

I made it around 5:30, and there were actually some spots on the top floor...gasp! Same when I left around 6:30... I think the morale of the story is to work out on "off" days like Tuesday/Thursday, as it didn't seem as bad as it did yesterday. Hopefully the weekends will be light

Crew looked nice preopening, I haven't been in since. When talking to the owner, he mentioned that they planned on doing valet service for the parking because of the limited space in the complex.

I worked out at Crew Fitness the other day... signed up for a 3 day pass online so it was free and everything... the gym is nice... very clean... all new equipment. Yes, they are going to have valet... they had a sign up mentioning there was valet during the busy periods. My boyfriend and I were wondering when they were building the place where everyone was going to park... good thing they are having valet.