The Mix @ Midtown: Retail At 3201 Louisiana St.

bwj

I don't think it looks that great either... that corner is starting to look cluttered.

And I think it is strange to name a building with a 24 hour fitness and a tenants-as-yet-unannounced street level "The Mix @ Midtown"... seems cheesy and amateurish IMO.

Very cluttered! this whole vicinity is becoming jammed with just about everything under the sun. Drowning in concrete, glass and steel. I see accidents on the rise especially with that pathetic rail flying by so often. Imagine with the fumes of the waiting cars, etc. If you like that cosmopolitan feel you found the right place baby. :mellow:

Very cluttered! this whole vicinity is becoming jammed with just about everything under the sun. Drowning in concrete, glass and steel. I see accidents on the rise especially with that pathetic rail flying by so often. Imagine with the fumes of the waiting cars, etc. If you like that cosmopolitan feel you found the right place baby. :mellow:

I think it's starting to look fantastic. I like how they are putting in trees on both sides of Elgin (it should look really cool in several years). Not sure what you mean by the "pathetic rail". Houston needs more mass transit like it. And as far as "fumes of waiting cars"... I'm going to be walking/biking to this place... as a lot of us will be.

Is this sarcasm?

I was actually talking about that corner of the actual building, with all the sign-age...

Anyways, they started unloading 24-HF workout equipment yesterday and are still at it today. I'm still debating whether or not I should pay all the fees and sign up...

I'm still debating whether or not I should pay all the fees and sign up...

I live in Westbury. I belong to the worn out Meyerland 24hr Sport and am transferring to the Elgin/Louisiana gym.. If you're serious about working out and want state of the art equipment, I'd join. I will be driving way out of the way but it's worth it for new equipment.. The cost is about the same everywhere so you might as well go for the best equipment, and of course, cleanliness, and air condintioning that works. They will keep this gym in good condition for at least a couple years.

they put the kids playground right up against the windows on the corner spot. i think it looks ugly. this space could have been used to put some treadmills so the runners can watch the traffic at that intersection.

I guess they must have heard you whine, because I was driving by a few nights ago and I think they moved it (if my bleary vision wasn't fooling me). The building is coming along nicely, the still have a good amount of work to do on the bottom floor though.

a friend went to the instructor training class. he said that they only want the "beautiful" instructors. sounds like it'll be a meat market.

Was he denied a job because of that, or was it just a poor choice of a joke?

I guess they must have heard you whine, because I was driving by a few nights ago and I think they moved it (if my bleary vision wasn't fooling me). The building is coming along nicely, the still have a good amount of work to do on the bottom floor though.

i was obviously whining for a good reason. hence, the move.

Sorry guys, the play pen still occupies the prime real estate... I walked by this morning.

I agree, the location really doesn't make sense. The kid zone should be in the back somewhere.

I don't have a problem having with the play area located there, it would keep them distracted while their parents worked out. Besides, there are other windows that they can place bikes and other equipment with.

opens today. can we move this thread to the Midtown forum.

Sweet...I had heard a rumor it was delayed until August, but the website says "now open for workouts." I'll see if I can't get my lazy a$$ there tonight to check it out. I'd promise a full report, but it's just a gym... I'll probably be able to confirm/refute the "beautiful instructors only" thing pretty quickly, though :)

Sweet...I had heard a rumor it was delayed until August, but the website says "now open for workouts." I'll see if I can't get my lazy a$$ there tonight to check it out. I'd promise a full report, but it's just a gym... I'll probably be able to confirm/refute the "beautiful instructors only" thing pretty quickly, though :)

lol you need to take an instructor named elliott's class....i heard he called it diva step.

AAAND??

did you sign up, were there people working out already?

i was already a member so i didn't need to sign up. yeah, there were a lot of people there. more employees than members. entrance to the club is on the 3rd floor of the parking garage. really convenient to have in midtown. and is 100 times better than that hole-in-the-wall gym, metamorphosize.

I went there yesterday, it's nothing special compared to a new "Sport" gym (see Randall's Dairy Ashford/Westheimer gym from last summer). Kind of disappointing considering that is it supposed to be a "Super Sport".

The building is the real star, but the gym within in, amenities wise is really nothing to be bragging about. The pool is only 3 lanes, and the equipment is standard.

The real good news for mid level membership, with the 3 levels of standard memberships; Active, Sport, and Super Sport, the old Q clubs have been demoted from "Super Sport" to "Sport" status (They won't change the name though) and still provide towel service. So for those that have only the Sport club access, you now can go to all the old Q Clubs at no charge.

They now consider the new Midtown 24 Hour Fitness gym the only true "Super Sport" in the Houston area.

Edited by Pumapayam

i was already a member so i didn't need to sign up. yeah, there were a lot of people there. more employees than members. entrance to the club is on the 3rd floor of the parking garage. really convenient to have in midtown. and is 100 times better than that hole-in-the-wall gym, metamorphosize.

I was a member of the Meyerland 24hr but my trainer moved to this club so I have followed him. The building is great but I am concerened about the garage.. It looks as though it could fill up real fast (especially when the retail opens). There do not seem to be many parking options. There is a limited amount of street parking and it is metered. Hopefully when I go at 4:30pm it won't be too busy.

I was a member of the Meyerland 24hr but my trainer moved to this club so I have followed him. The building is great but I am concerened about the garage.. It looks as though it could fill up real fast (especially when the retail opens). There do not seem to be many parking options. There is a limited amount of street parking and it is metered. Hopefully when I go at 4:30pm it won't be too busy.

i think they are expecting more foot and bike traffic from this location. think about the positive side of lack of parking.

1. less crowded gym

2. people more likely to jog or bike to the gym (i know i'm gonna be driving there, but if parking because hassle, then i will bike there instead)

So this will be the new gay cruising gym instead of Bally's in Rice Village. I didn't forget about Fitness Exchange, that will always be the main gay cruising gym. It ain't nicknamed Semen Exchange for nothing.

Good thing I workout at home. I don't like working out with all those people.

Eeewww

Actually, it was nicknamed "Fluid Exchange". Even though it was primarily a gay gym, there was a zero tolerance policy on such behavior.

Anyway, they're not in Montrose anymore. I think they're over toward the Heights now.

"Those People" - Whatever Dude.

I didn't mean it at "those people." Although I could have. I'm gay anyway. I just meant I don't like working out at a gym with crowds. Give me a TV and my own equipment (which i have). It saves a lot time and in the end money.