George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

consideration must be given to the time when it was built. We were struggling with an economic downturn and funds for projects like this were limited. The Wortham is also from the same era. I know the City wanted a world class facility but had to make concessions on its exterior which is why it is so plain. People complained about that 20 yrs ago too.

What fun!

Every example of an architectural 'type' goes through that awkward phase - and that's where GRB is now. Mid-80's "post modern" is at its nadir of popularity. It's too old to be chic, and too new to be retro.

Regardless, it's not going away soon, so we may as well like it.

Now that I think about it, if you stand in front looking straight at it. The GRB appears as the movie set of Titanic as it was being built in Mexico I think off Baja Peninsula. So now we have a duplicate Titanic as tourist spot.

titanic_set_photos.jpg

THANK YOU on that one!

That whole side of downtown is resembling a huge prison - red-brick-mania!

Its out of control...Yucko!

But what's this about that whole side of town being "red-brick mania?" Ummmm, Hilton Americas, Toyota Center, Five Houston Center, the buildings going up in Discovery Green, ... not a red brick in any of those buildings...

But what's this about that whole side of town being "red-brick mania?" Ummmm, Hilton Americas, Toyota Center, Five Houston Center, the buildings going up in Discovery Green, ... not a red brick in any of those buildings...

Guess I should have been more specific. Take a cruise around old Chinatown and head north on St Emanuel then go around Dowling street and be sure to see all new townhomes being built around MinuteMaid Park. ALL RED BRICK. There is a huge townhome complex being built as we speak near the ballpark parking lots and its all red brick. I imagine exconvicts will feel it all too familiar.

I would give names like Alcatraz Townhomes, Sing-Sing Village, The Big House Apartments, my fav is Electric Chair Lofts :lol:

Guest danax

It's not classically beautiful and it does look like something that a kid would play with in the tub, but it has huge whimsical value, and so I like it. Same with the new courthouse and the Fed. We have enough "serious" brutalist architecture to offset it and, as dbigtex observed, what is unpopular now might one day be a world recognized classic.

And the front seems like a loading area at an airport terminal, and I wonder if that was intentional.

It's not classically beautiful and it does look like something that a kid would play with in the tub, but it has huge whimsical value, and so I like it. Same with the new courthouse and the Fed. We have enough "serious" brutalist architecture to offset it and, as dbigtex observed, what is unpopular now might one day be a world recognized classic.

I couldn't have put it better Danax. I'm guilty of liking all three buildings too. I guess we just have bad taste :lol:

OH well B)

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Now those are rare photos. Not everday we get to see that up close.

That or those would make a great super model photo shoot back drop (hint local photographers).

That roof should be used for outdoor soiree's like in Fall/Winter to Spring. It can be done. Have the whole skyline as a backdrop. It could be another Skybar....more hints. :)

Guess I should have been more specific. Take a cruise around old Chinatown and head north on St Emanuel then go around Dowling street and be sure to see all new townhomes being built around MinuteMaid Park. ALL RED BRICK. There is a huge townhome complex being built as we speak near the ballpark parking lots and its all red brick. I imagine exconvicts will feel it all too familiar.

I would give names like Alcatraz Townhomes, Sing-Sing Village, The Big House Apartments, my fav is Electric Chair Lofts :lol:

Lazy architects taking a visual cue from the stadium, I guess. A bit ironic that several genuinely old brick buildings were knocked over to make room for new buildings with 'retro' brick facades.

• 3 weeks later...
I was never too sure whether I liked the GRB or not until after they built Discovery Green in front of it. Now I like the GRB just fine. That reflection pond does wonders for everything around it.

gallery_1628_94_296518.jpg

2507368806_f08f466526.jpg?v=0

The ship now looks like it belongs. What's a ship without water?!

And I would gleefully help you.

:lol:

Oh, lighten up a bit Mo - it's not that bad. :) You have every right to your opinion, but at least the GRB is interesting and fun looking. Think about the good things about the GRB and you'll sleep easier at night. If you can't think of any I'll help you.

1. It gets noticed.

2. It's colorful

3. It's whimsical

4. It looks good near water

5. It looks good near a nice green lawn w/ shade trees and people walking around it.

6. It has the potential to attract large conventions to Houston.

7. It isn't dull.

8. It incorporated lots of cool looking metal beams and glass.

9. It has a definitive signature 80's period look. (I think people will learn to appreciate this more in the coming decades, just like how mid twentieth-century mod is now

more appreciated than it was in the late 60's and throughout the 70's)

10. It won't be ignored.

11. It's a great conversation piece.

12. It could have been a lot worse. (it could have been something utterly void of personality)

13. It has personality!

14. Many people (enough people) like it just fine as is - so there is not enough reason to waste tax payer money by tearing it down and building another convention center just because someone doesn't like the look of it. (You can't please everyone. No matter how great you think a building is, SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE is going to delicate flower about it)

15. It ain't goin' nowhere, so you better make friends with it. The GRB will probably be standing when we are all dead and buried. Don't spend the rest of your life all bitter and hatin'.

:)

2460195497_284c0ef36e.jpg?v=0

2450116381_2c62e07dc3.jpg?v=0

2419804424_74d59a1713.jpg?v=0

2552921026_e0eb02eb17.jpg?v=0

2457371892_54b664f6c8.jpg?v=0

2584013483_9e16d902e1.jpg?v=0

And my number 1 reason for liking the GRB is that now we don't have this (see below) going on in east downtown Houston anymore (at least not this bad). The GRB got the ball rolling. That is enough reason for anyone to love it.

parking-houston.jpg

Edited by Mister X

And...maybe...it would be a waste of money to destroy it...and build something different...but...it's so FUUUUGLY...

Yeah, it ain't going anywhere. Whatevs. Also, if it spurs development on downtown's east side, that's good too. Yeah. Way to go, you ugly, ugly building. You do have a purpose. Bless your heart.

I think the GRB looks great and I like that style of architecture and I think it is a timeless style

people who think something better could be built do not have a clue about what was going on in Houston at that time

Houston was dead on its ass after taking the kick in the nuts that was the drop in oil and then Houston with all its homes already for sale was leading into the S&L crisis that was like a crowbar over the head

there was no money to build the taj mahal....Houston had the airport and Houston still had an international presence and Houston had a dated convention center that was near useless in the modern convention scene

Houston needed badly to diversify its economy and Houston needed a new space to do it with conventions to take advantage of the existing airport ect.

any developer left standing after oil and still able to build anything with the S&L issues moving in was already building in Hong Kong or elsewhere and was not going to come near Houston

Houston and Texas had former oil engineers and oil rig builders that needed to work.....the GRB design was something these people could build and bid for a piece of to keep the doors open.....the taj mahal would not be a building many of them could bid for a piece of

it was the right building at the right time and it was that or a plain box......there were few if any other options

Edited by TexasVines

No. Those were not my photos. Sorry if I broke any rules. I never meant to imply that I took any of those photos (except for the top one - I did take that one). I just made a link to some photos I found on the internet to prove my point that the GRB isn't 'fugly'. In fact, it's getting 'beautifuller' by the day I think.

Sorry again if I posted someone's photo without permission. I thought is was o.k. to posts links to photos. I assure everyone, it wasn't about the glory of taking the photo. Although those photos were all beautiful, it was only supposed to be about the architecture.

Edited by Mister X

No. Those were not my photos. Sorry if I broke any rules. I never meant to imply that I took any of those photos (except for the top one - I did take that one). I just made a link to some photos I found on the internet to prove my point that the GRB isn't 'fugly'. In fact, it's getting 'beautifuller' by the day I think.

Sorry again if I posted someone's photo without permission. I thought is was o.k. to posts links to photos. I assure everyone, it wasn't about the glory of taking the photo. Although those photos were all beautiful, it was only supposed to be about the architecture.

nope too late your account will be deleted in 24 hrs 4rm the post you made..

its rule number 15...

lol Just kidding

no big deal there still your post made a point :D

I'm looking out at the GRB right now and I'm clear over on Louisiana. At the time it was built, I couldn't make up my mind if I liked it or not. As time passed, it's grown on me. It looks alot better since they repainted the smoke stacks.

Those nightime pictures are awesome. You've got to admit that with the new park, etc. this has to leave a very favorable impression to visitors.

There's nothing wrong with the GRB's architecture. If reconstruction is the issue here, I'd rather have the Eastex trenched and renovate GRB's eastern facade to a human scale. Maybe have another park decked over the Eastex trench, like what Dallas is doing with their Woodall Rodgers freeway.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that we (or whoever built GRB) ripped off the GRB design from a FRENCH building in Paris, France.

Anyone ever been to the Pompidou? Wow... Look at these cool vents:

pompidou_centre_paris_2l.jpg

Here's a better picture...

pompidou01.jpg

Pompidou: 1971 to 1976, to build.

GRB: Opened in 1987.... Hmmm...

Edited by BryanS