George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

If you had the money right now, where would you buy land in Houston?

Downtown of course.

Do you realize what downtown is going to look like in 5 years, when all the new buildings and thousands of new apartments come online?

It is going to start a chain reaction that is going to suck in more apartments, more retail, more parks, etc etc.

With the shrinking number of parking lots, the value of land is just going to keep rising up up and away....

• Like 2

Downtown of course.

Do you realize what downtown is going to look like in 5 years, when all the new buildings and thousands of new apartments come online?

It is going to start a chain reaction that is going to suck in more apartments, more retail, more parks, etc etc.

With the shrinking number of parking lots, the value of land is just going to keep rising up up and away....

Couldn't agree more and I'm really excited for it, however, I hope they don't forget to build a couple of large-scale parking garages to account for the lack of parking lots there will be in the future.

Downtown of course.

I agree. The problem is, where do you buy? Every recent project or proposal has been for rental units outside of Randall Davis' Marlowe. 

My sister lives in One Park Place. She'd love to buy downtown but there's nothing comparable for sale. Downtown needs a couple of brand new, ground-up condo buildings to stabilize the area. 

• Like 1

I was thinking more of doing this:

For example, a couple and another couple I know bought a 100 year old town house in a crime-infested neighborhood near Capitol Hill and spent about a year renovating it on weekends together to rent for several years and finally sell as the neighborhood gentrified.

The roads were so bad, they used to sit on the porch and watch cars speed through, hit a particularly bad bump, fly and spark bottom as they threw back a few beers after working on the old place.

He even showed me a shirt he got with either a bullet hole or knife cut through the collar he picked up at a thrift store nearby.

Where can you buy a house or apartment now in Houston to be ahead of the curve? There must be tons of places.

In Five Years Neighborhood X

In Ten Years Neighborhood Y

Unfortunately, as someone hit on earlier, you've missed the bus on the east end and third ward, even small plots of land with a 90 year old shotgun house on it is gonna run you $100,000 plus.

When you said "where would you buy land" I took you literally, thats why I said downtown. If I had a couple million Id buy one of the few remaining surface lots and then hold out until some developer came along and offered me meal ticket.

And while I was waiting I would just convert the lot to surface parking and charge extravagant rates to park there for work, ball games etc...

• Like 2

I've formulated some interesting (to me at least) equations that could tell us a quite accurate answer.

I'm not sure of your formula, but I'd put money on a variable that is highly dependent on the creation of a commuter rail station and perhaps light rail. What does your crystal ball predict?

• Like 1

Courtesy of The Houston Chronicle, contract negotiations between Houston Arts Alliance and sculptor Ed Wilson are back on.  

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/arts-theater/article/GRB-sculpture-contract-back-where-it-began-6129243.php

Wilson's work would fill the 90 x 90 x 40 foot atrium.  Here is the proposal pic from Ed Wilson:

wilson-piece-2-484x620.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...