Emancipation Park At 3018 Emancipation Ave.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Patrick Feller has added a photo to the pool:

Dowling, Tuam & Emancipation Park, Houston, Texas aDSC0091bw

Currently undergoing an extensive and historic renovation, Emancipation Park was established in 1872 on land purchased by former slaves to celebrate Juneteenth. It was, for some time, the only city park open to African-Americans.

In 1892, City Council renamed East Browdway St. after Dick Dowling, an Irish immigrant and Confederate veteran, who'd been proclaimed hero of the Battle of Sabine Pass. Tuam Street was named after his Irish birthplace and the two streets just happened to intersect at Emancipation Park.

It's long past time to dump the Dowling and Tuam names, along with other memorials to the Confederacy.

Click here to view this photo at the HAIF Photo Pool on Flickr

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

From Cohen's enewsletter

Committee Reviews Emancipation Park Agreement

Chair Cohen convened a meeting of the Council Committee on Quality of Life to review a presentation on a proposed inter-local agreement between the City of Houston and the Emancipation Park Conservancy. Founded in 1872, Emancipation Park is the oldest park in Houston and is located in the historic Third Ward community. Construction is underway in the park to restore the community center, construct a new recreation center and pool, implement a spray-ground and playground, and many other improvements. The new agreement will allow the Houston Parks and Recreation Department to share joint responsibilities with the Conservancy regarding maintenance and for the operation and programming of core services and supplemental enrichment activities in the park. All Committee meetings are archived online via HTV under the Committees & Commissions tab.

• 1 month later...

Looks like it's coming along nicely! I was supposed to participate with a group in the grand opening festivities on Juneteenth weekend, but the April and May rains put such a delay on construction that the grand opening will likely be in November.

• 1 month later...

Emancipation Park partners with city of Houston, plans to unveil completed renovations this fall

Emancipation Park, which is undergoing a $33.6 million renovation and new construction project, received a boost from the city.

The city of Houston and the Emancipation Park Conservancy are teaming up for the next 30 years to run the park, according to a release. The agreement frees up the conservancy to focus on fundraising and allows the group office space at the Houston Parks and Recreations Department.

The 11.7-acre park expects to reopen Nov. 12 following the renovations and construction, per the release.

Phil Freelon, of Chicago-based global architecture and design firm Perkins+Will, designed the park, according to a release. The group has a Houston office.

Plans for the park include restoration of a community center and pool house, construction of a new recreation center and creation of a 3,000-person multipurpose space. The park is located at 3018 Dowling St. just south of downtown.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While I love this park, it's no secret that 3rd Ward is rough! I drove thru today by TSU and idk where to begin. Emancipation Blvd is slowly looking better but I don't think I've seen as much trash and illegal dumping in any part of the city as I've seen here. Once you cross 45 South in to EaDo the whole neighborhood changes. Even empty lots in Eado look nicer. Is there some sort of 3rd Ward TIRZ???

7 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

While I love this park, it's no secret that 3rd Ward is rough! I drove thru today by TSU and idk where to begin. Emancipation Blvd is slowly looking better but I don't think I've seen as much trash and illegal dumping in any part of the city as I've seen here. Once you cross 45 South in to EaDo the whole neighborhood changes. Even empty lots in Eado look nicer. Is there some sort of 3rd Ward TIRZ???

There isn't and never will be as long as Midtown TIRZ wants to use Third Ward as a cheap place to bank land.

16 hours ago, BeerNut said:

There isn't and never will be as long as Midtown TIRZ wants to use Third Ward as a cheap place to bank land.

It's not just the Midtown folks. Garnett Coleman is bound and determined that the demographics of the Third Ward will not change, and he encourages Midtown to buy land and keep it out of the hands of developers that might sell to folks other than those who live there now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, BeerNut said:

The area around Emancipation Park is changing quick.  It's mainly empty lots being developed.

NGJamTT.jpg

ahS1XMm.jpg

8PKmOBb.jpg

TfuGuJB.jpg

ZLZ0uac.jpg

lgzOcn4.jpg

I rode my bike through here the other day. The change is happening at an extraordinary rate. I happen to plan an update on the Third Ward thread you also posted to. 

On 9/22/2019 at 9:18 PM, Triton said:

I rode my bike through here the other day. The change is happening at an extraordinary rate. I happen to plan an update on the Third Ward thread you also posted to. 

I also noticed on Redfin that this area had it's first home to enter the Northern Third Ward market over $500k .  They've since lowered the price but that definitely is telling if they're pricing new town homes at prices that only a few years ago you had to be on the other side of 288/69.

• 2 months later...

Archived