Williams Tower At 2800 Post Oak Blvd.

DaTrain

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite building in Houston. I could never not stare at it when I lived there. I especially love the view of the building at night when you're heading northbound on I-610 and you crest the top of the interstate where it crosses over 59. Uptown is all lit up before you and the Williams Tower just stands out beautifully!!!

My website:

https://flipboard.com/@maxgoodz/top-20-best-hard-candy-review-2019-qeamh3eoy

Edited by JohnyWalter
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Williams Tower near Houston's Galleria mall plans lobby renovation

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/12/02/williams-tower-near-houstons-galleria-mall-plans.html

Williams Tower, a prominent office building in Houston’s Uptown/Galleria area, is set to undergo a multimillion-dollar renovation of its lobby.

Building permits issued by the city of Houston say that $3.1 million is expected to be spent to upgrade the tower's entrance space.

Records filed with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation say the project will involve renovations to the existing lobby areas on the building’s first floor and part of an existing build-out on the second floor.

The remodel will affect 22,982 square feet in the 64-story, 238,406-square-foot building.

The building permits were issued to Houston-based O’Donnell/Snider Construction. Houston’s Ziegler Cooper Architects is listed as the designer.

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Hines Reit Purchases Williams Tower
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I didn't ride this weekend because I had my niece and her boyfriend from San Marcos staying with me. One of the places they wanted to go to was the Hines Water Wall. It's amazing how many people were there checking it out. I guess it's one of Houston's most famous attractions.

zHNldnm.jpg

1YGnn03.jpg

ZYKiSZE.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2021 at 3:53 PM, hindesky said:

I guess it's one of Houston's most famous attractions.

I've seen it in at least one Bollywood movie (thanks to my Desi ex). Probably more.

If I remember correctly, this movie had nothing whatsoever to do with Houston...this scene just popped up out of nowhere (as musical scenes are wont to do in Hindi films)... then back to India when the music stopped. My guess was that the producer had a brother in Sugar Land, which would explain the final location with the "lake."

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 3

I was there this past weekend, we took the MetroRapid Silver line and got off at W Alabama/Galleria station (I was really pleased that it just plops you right there in front of the tower!) Right as we'd gotten on the bus at the transit center, we were hit by a massive storm, which cleared up literally as we were getting off at the stop, so we had a chance to get some pictures of the empty waterwall! We were the only people there for about 10 minutes at most, and then about 20-30 people showed up and proceeded to get their pictures taken, etc.

I was really surprised how fast it filled up!

waterwallpark.jpg

• Like 6

On 7/26/2018 at 1:49 PM, Specwriter said:

Awesome image. Compare it to an illustration of a proposed building by Hugh Ferris in the early 20th century.5b5a17b4253d8_HughFerris.png.a37e46af3e44b01c735022b218cf6422.png

This building, the New York Daily News on 42nd Street, was built from 1928 to 1930, but its designers were familiar with the illustrations you mention, and so were Philip Johnson and John Burgee.  An interesting new interview on Rice Design Alliance's "Cite Digital" website reveals the exact source of Transco Tower's squarish shoulders (which IMHO make it so much better architecturally than the rounded slender tapering slopes of many bland new supertalls in HK, South Korea, San Francisco, China and Southeast Asia).

They include a photograph of its 1927-1928 inspiration:

https://www.ricedesignalliance.org/cpk-ko-interview

Edited by strickn
  • Like 3

• The title was changed to Williams Tower At 2800 Post Oak Blvd.
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

"In a major real estate shakeup in downtown Houston, chemicals giant LyondellBasell plans to move its U.S. headquarters from its namesake tower to a landmark Galleria-area skyscraper, the chemical company said Wednesday. 

LyondellBasell recently signed a lease for 318,504 square feet at the 64-story Williams Tower developed by Hines and owned by Invesco Real Estate, according to real estate brokerage CBRE."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/lyondellbasell-office-move-downtown-galleria-18076645.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/lyondellbasell-office-move-downtown-galleria-18076645.php

Between this and Fluor's announcement that they are leaving their long time Suglarland location for the Energy Corridor, those are a couple of big relocations for Houston's energy related businesses.  Bechtel leaving their Uptown area location to move out to the westside is another sizeable one.

I thought this bit of the article was particularly interesting:

“The decision (to move to Williams Tower) is due to the company’s new office work landscape, which has changed dramatically over the past few years ― including the adoption of a more flexible work policy,” a Lyondell spokesperson said in a statement. 

The company, which had more than $50 billion in revenue last year, adopted a hybrid workplace strategy in 2021, and now allows employees to work remotely three days a week. 

I wonder if we'll see more of this.

• Like 1

@ultimate_ed there is a post about it in the Williams Tower topic...

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/1152-williams-tower-at-2800-post-oak-blvd

13 hours ago, hindesky said:

"In a major real estate shakeup in downtown Houston, chemicals giant LyondellBasell plans to move its U.S. headquarters from its namesake tower to a landmark Galleria-area skyscraper, the chemical company said Wednesday. 

LyondellBasell recently signed a lease for 318,504 square feet at the 64-story Williams Tower developed by Hines and owned by Invesco Real Estate, according to real estate brokerage CBRE."

28 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

@ultimate_ed there is a post about it in the Williams Tower topic...

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/1152-williams-tower-at-2800-post-oak-blvd

Thanks - I tried searching, but I wasn't getting hits for this looking for Williams or Lyondell.  Although, I was looking in the Uptown section.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hindesky said:

The Rotterdam, Netherlands-based Lyondell — with regional headquarters in London and Houston, where it has about 1,300 employees — said it expects to begin moving into its new offices at 2800 Post Oak by late 2024 or 2025. The company said it plans to occupy floors 37 through 51.

Wondering if there are plans to relocate existing tenants that currently occupy space within that block of floors, perhaps as part of leases that may be up for renewal between now and late 2024? I don't believe all of those floors are 100% vacant currently. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ultimate_ed said:

Between this and Fluor's announcement that they are leaving their long time Suglarland location for the Energy Corridor, those are a couple of big relocations for Houston's energy related businesses.  Bechtel leaving their Uptown area location to move out to the westside is another sizeable one.

I thought this bit of the article was particularly interesting:

I wonder if we'll see more of this.

Wasn’t the Lyondell building recently renovated downtown?

From RNR...

Where The Boss Lives: 

Could LyondellBasell’s Exit From Downtown Be Influenced by Proximity to the CEO’s Residence? 

This doesn't surprise me and I guess it is neither good nor bad.  I'm convinced that HPE relocated to the Woodlands from San Jose because CEO Antonio Neri owns a home in The Woodlands. 

Tough break for Downtown but it will have to adapt to residential to survive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I have been away from the Galleria for a few years and notice the beacon atop Transco/Williams is no longer turned on. It used to be on every night for decades. An acquaintance claims a lawsuit now limits its use but I can't find anything on that. What did I miss?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The topic was pinned
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Jeremy McGilvrey's Houston web design agency is the newest business to call the prestigious Williams Tower in the Uptown District in Houston home. The Houston web design company announced that it has signed a long-term lease for office space in the highly sought-after Williams Tower. This new space will house the Houston web design team while helping the company achieve its continued growth goals.

The Williams Tower, one of Houston's most prominent office spaces, is a 64-story, 1.4 million square feet class A postmodern office tower located adjacent to the famous Galleria. Jeremy McGilvrey's web design team will call the 56th floor home.

"More than ten years ago, our company was started in a tiny studio apartment, so this move into the Williams Tower is an important milestone in our company's history," said Jeremy McGilvrey, founder. "It's a move we're all excited about, as it demonstrates the continued trust that our clients place in us."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/jeremy-mcgilvrey-houston-design-agency-010700799.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2023 at 6:06 PM, TOJF said:

I have been away from the Galleria for a few years and notice the beacon atop Transco/Williams is no longer turned on. It used to be on every night for decades. An acquaintance claims a lawsuit now limits its use but I can't find anything on that. What did I miss?

It is on tonight :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• The topic was unpinned