Williams Tower At 2800 Post Oak Blvd.

DaTrain

• 1 month later...

This probably should be elsewhere on this site but I think the folks I have seen responding on this section might know.

We went to the Medical Center again today & were early so we drove past S.Main on 610 and looped around to Bellaire so I could see my old stomping grounds, Meyerland Plaza. (Bought Sgt Pepper & first stereo headphones there). It looked great! Area doing better than I had assumed.

I hadn't been that way in maybe 20 years. As we headed towards Bellaire exit looking North on 610 somewhere up ahead (at 59 maybe?) is this HUGE gothic/art deco/Bat Man looking skyscraper. It struck me as Beautiful and Looming.

What is that? Where is it? How long has it been there? Thanks!!

Thanks for the info. That's it! I have probably seen in from different angles over the years but that straight line towards it like a runway after making that 610 curve heading north puts a whole new dimension on it. I lived in Houston for 32 years (worked at St.Lukes when they began the twin towers in the early 70's) , moved to Southern California for 10 years and enjoyed L.A.'s everchanging skyline, then moved to the Beaumont area (zero "skyscrapers") and have been here for 13 years. Not regularly seeing the Houston skyline makes me appreciate it even more when I see these buildings from different angles. They are truly captivating. If you haven't seen that building from that angle in a noon slighty gloomy day it's like they had they direction in mind when they designed it. That picture from that angle doesn't do the building justice. I look forward to seeing it at night from that 610 Bellaire direction & see how the lighting edges that art deco look.

Thanks again!

Also passed the Capitan Theater on 225 and it still looks great and yep! still no "El"

Edited by carol802

Williams Tower used to claim to be the tallest building outside of a downtown area, but no idea if they still do.

As a matter of fact, this past Monday Night Football game, it was given a mention by the sports announcers. So, I guess we still claim it. :D

Edited by TJones

Also passed the Capitan Theater on 225 and it still looks great and yep! still no "El"

There never has been an "El" in that theater's name. It's always been just the "Capitan" Theater. Not the "El" Capitan.

And since we're talking about tall buildings, how long will it take for someone to weigh in here with the name of the tallest American building west of the Mississippi River?

Edited by FilioScotia

I had seen in one of the older strings about old theaters that there was some confusion from a younger crowd as to why they would not have put El before Capitan. Just thought I would throw that in there since I got a good look at it the other day. I also saw the Bellaire turned Whole Foods. We used to go on Saturday mornings for the kiddie shows but I mostly remember going to see Romeo & Juliet in Jr High and getting my first big smooch with a boy with braces on his teeth. Also on that same side of Bellaire but past Stella Link was the Prince's hamburger stand where you talked to the prince/clown head to order. Across the street at the corner was a Weiners where I clearly remember the seperate and unequal bathrooms and water fountains.

There never has been an "El" in that theater's name. It's always been just the "Capitan" Theater. Not the "El" Capitan.

And since we're talking about tall buildings, how long will it take for someone to weigh in here with the name of the tallest American building west of the Mississippi River?

First Interstate Tower (now US Bank Toewr) in LA is a few feet taller than TCB/Chase tower in Houston.

FIT = 310.3m - 73FL

Chase = 305.4 - 75FL

I think the building in LA has a crown type feature that makes it win.

First Interstate Tower (now US Bank Toewr) in LA is a few feet taller than TCB/Chase tower in Houston.

FIT = 310.3m - 73FL

Chase = 305.4 - 75FL

I think the building in LA has a crown type feature that makes it win.

It does have a crown, but it looks like it houses mechanical stuff and the helipad. I don't think it's merely ornamental (other than to hide the usual ugliness)

USBankTower-Oct08-006.jpg

From HAIF's sister site, Southland Architecture

I had seen in one of the older strings about old theaters that there was some confusion from a younger crowd as to why they would not have put El before Capitan. Just thought I would throw that in there since I got a good look at it the other day. I also saw the Bellaire turned Whole Foods. We used to go on Saturday mornings for the kiddie shows but I mostly remember going to see Romeo & Juliet in Jr High and getting my first big smooch with a boy with braces on his teeth. Also on that same side of Bellaire but past Stella Link was the Prince's hamburger stand where you talked to the prince/clown head to order. Across the street at the corner was a Weiners where I clearly remember the seperate and unequal bathrooms and water fountains.

If I remember correctly that was a Price's hamburger joint across from Weiners on Bellaire and Stella link...there was a Princes in Bellaire at the crossing of Bellaire and Bissonnet, next to the still present Broiler Burger

That's it! The Price's I remember was in the late 50's & 60's. Google shows a jack-in-the-box there now. We (my mom & siblings) didn't travel far off of Stella Link/Weslyan in those years from South Main to 59. I went to West University Elementary & Shearn (& Johnston JrH, Westbury & Madison), and shopped at the Weingartens at Montclair shopping center & the one south of Braeswood. We would go to Weiners or to the Bellaire theater or our pediatricians office that was across the street from the theater. They put up an A&W at the (Southwest?) corner of Stella L & Bellaire in the late 60's early 70's. We went to the Prince's on S.Main as a HUGE treat.

I'm recovering from a major head injury. This website that I found only a week ago has been a God Send! It has helped re-fire memory points that weren't that great before the accident! It is bizarre what I remember now triggered by the strings here. Visualizations, scents, tastes and feelings that all have to do with my itsy-bitsy part of growing up and being a part of the Houston history.

Edited by carol802

I'm recovering from a major head injury. This website that I found only a week ago has been a God Send! It has helped re-fire memory points that weren't that great before the accident! It is bizarre what I remember now triggered by the strings here. Visualizations, scents, tastes and feelings that all have to do with my itsy-bitsy part of growing up and being a part of the Houston history.

That's great to hear how beneficial the site has been to you! Sounds like Haif has found a new slogan. "TheHAIF; Just what the doctor ordered." ^_^

Wow, Flipper! Thanks for sharing that. That's awsome. I was wondering how I was gonna get a shot like that without another bonk on the noggin!

I discovered the little bubble cameras in Google last night. We don't have that detail on the views of our bumpkin neighborhoods. On the South Main driv- in spot I posted I said I had watched the drive-in out my bedroom window. I could see the window like I was standing on Willowbend. Made me want to duck and cover!

Thanks everybody for letting me dive in to your site!

• 1 month later...
That robot looks friendly; the one to the west terrifies me. I've not even been out the new Katy Freeway for fear of it.

You aren't missing anything. Every morning as I drive towards it I think, "Maybe this is the day that I'll come to peace with the Decepticon." I can't ever truly like the Decepticon, of course, but I'm hoping that I'll eventually make peace with its evil presence. But so far that day has yet to come. :(

• 2 weeks later...
3109201615_6534176bb6.jpg
At first glance it looks like something that would be painted on the walls of a day care center, but this undulating landscape is made of actual photographs by telwink.  Both the Williams Tower and the water wall are squished into fantasy shapes.

You can add your photos to the HAIF Flickr pool, too.  All are welcome!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks for the info. That's it! I have probably seen in from different angles over the years but that straight line towards it like a runway after making that 610 curve heading north puts a whole new dimension on it. I lived in Houston for 32 years (worked at St.Lukes when they began the twin towers in the early 70's) , moved to Southern California for 10 years and enjoyed L.A.'s everchanging skyline, then moved to the Beaumont area (zero "skyscrapers") and have been here for 13 years. Not regularly seeing the Houston skyline makes me appreciate it even more when I see these buildings from different angles. They are truly captivating. If you haven't seen that building from that angle in a noon slighty gloomy day it's like they had they direction in mind when they designed it. That picture from that angle doesn't do the building justice. I look forward to seeing it at night from that 610 Bellaire direction & see how the lighting edges that art deco look.

Thanks again!

HEY CAROL.........THERE IS AN OBSERVATION FLOOR AT THE WILLIAMS TOWER............YOU SHOULD GO UP THERE SOMEDAY................ALSO THERE IS A 75 STORY BUILDING IN DOWNTOWN HOUSTON THAT HAS AN OBSERVATION FLOOR TOO, GREAT VIEWS............AND THE EL CAPITAN IS PART OF THE HISTORY OF PASADENA............THE OLDER PART, RIGHT

Thanks again!

AND CAROL...............THEY HAVE TUNNELS UNDERNEATH DOWNTOWN HOUSTON JUST FULL OF STORES AND EATERIES............YOU CAN WALK THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF TOWN.............ITS REALLY NEAT UNDER THERE...............YOU SHOULD TRY THAT SOMETIME TOO

HEY CAROL.........THERE IS AN OBSERVATION FLOOR AT THE WILLIAMS TOWER............YOU SHOULD GO UP THERE SOMEDAY................ALSO THERE IS A 75 STORY BUILDING IN DOWNTOWN HOUSTON THAT HAS AN OBSERVATION FLOOR TOO, GREAT VIEWS............AND THE EL CAPITAN IS PART OF THE HISTORY OF PASADENA............THE OLDER PART, RIGHT

AND CAROL...............THEY HAVE TUNNELS UNDERNEATH DOWNTOWN HOUSTON JUST FULL OF STORES AND EATERIES............YOU CAN WALK THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF TOWN.............ITS REALLY NEAT UNDER THERE...............YOU SHOULD TRY THAT SOMETIME TOO

What the?

• Like 1