Williams Tower At 2800 Post Oak Blvd.

DaTrain

HEY CAROL.........THERE IS AN OBSERVATION FLOOR AT THE WILLIAMS TOWER............YOU SHOULD GO UP THERE SOMEDAY................ALSO THERE IS A 75 STORY BUILDING IN DOWNTOWN HOUSTON THAT HAS AN OBSERVATION FLOOR TOO, GREAT VIEWS............AND THE EL CAPITAN IS PART OF THE HISTORY OF PASADENA............THE OLDER PART, RIGHT

AND CAROL...............THEY HAVE TUNNELS UNDERNEATH DOWNTOWN HOUSTON JUST FULL OF STORES AND EATERIES............YOU CAN WALK THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF TOWN.............ITS REALLY NEAT UNDER THERE...............YOU SHOULD TRY THAT SOMETIME TOO

Captain Kirk beams this year old post back from the dead. I hope Carol appreciates it.

How Doogie Howser of you.

Weird... I didn't know people still used the old Commodore 64's. I guess it's a nostalgic thing.

I think so. You can pick them up cheap on eBay. I would get one, except that I remember what a nightmare long-form typing on that keyboard is. The 64 could do a lot of things, but the keyboard was not it's best asset.

There are yearly convention of 64 enthusiasts around the country. One was held near me recently, but I was out of town and wasn't able to go.

My dream machine ever since I was a kid is an Executive 64. Every time one comes up for bid on eBay, I watch it. Sometimes I bid. So far, I've never won.

HEY CAROL.........THERE IS AN OBSERVATION FLOOR AT THE WILLIAMS TOWER............YOU SHOULD GO UP THERE SOMEDAY................ALSO THERE IS A 75 STORY BUILDING IN DOWNTOWN HOUSTON THAT HAS AN OBSERVATION FLOOR TOO, GREAT VIEWS............AND THE EL CAPITAN IS PART OF THE HISTORY OF PASADENA............THE OLDER PART, RIGHT

The observation deck in the Williams Tower has been closed to the public for years... you should probably get out more.

• Like 1

The observation floor at Williams Tower closed after September 11th, 2001 and never reopened.

Edit: Beaten by Highway 6.

Edited by kylejack

I think so. You can pick them up cheap on eBay. I would get one, except that I remember what a nightmare long-form typing on that keyboard is. The 64 could do a lot of things, but the keyboard was not it's best asset.

I still have a working C64 with about 50 floppys worth of games at my folks place... that thing was awesome.

Forever Load "*",8,1

The observation deck in the Williams Tower has been closed to the public for years... you should probably get out more.

That and Carol has not logged in since Feb 13th 2009. She must have gotten lucky on Valentines day and has since forgotten about HAIF. . . :P

AND CAROL...............THEY HAVE TUNNELS UNDERNEATH DOWNTOWN HOUSTON JUST FULL OF STORES AND EATERIES............YOU CAN WALK THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF TOWN.............ITS REALLY NEAT UNDER THERE...............YOU SHOULD TRY THAT SOMETIME TOO

keyboard4.jpg

To quote Maddox: "That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot."

Williams Tower used to claim to be the tallest building outside of a downtown area, but no idea if they still do.

They can claim all they want. The fact is it's not the tallest outside of a downtown area. I dont think it's in the top 5 anymore...

It seems like a whole bunch of threads that are month or even years dormant are starting to be revived. There's an option in the software to make old dead threads read-only. I wonder if I should turn that on.

All by the same guy.

You just need to dummy-proof the system. Is there an option to make older threads read-only to people below a certain post count?

I've gone back and found old threads when new information is relevant.. i don't think the ability to add to an existing, but old, discussion should be taken away from the experienced users.

Edited by Highway6

It seems like a whole bunch of threads that are month or even years dormant are starting to be revived. There's an option in the software to make old dead threads read-only. I wonder if I should turn that on.

How about you just ban kirk, because the nature of this forum is such that really old threads need to be bumped sometimes.

LOL'd I just dug one up from the grave myself.

But I am fine, but I like less clutter on the forums. So unless it can't be rinsed, reused, and recycled to some sort of relative continuity, I a game.

The whole LaCenterra 2009 was unnecessary.

How about you just ban kirk, because the nature of this forum is such that really old threads need to be bumped sometimes.

What would Spock say about this? :unsure:

At the very least, we should give Kirk and Carol credit for bringing this to our attention, maybe call this new forum rule the "Kirk Bumping Old Carol" Clause. :D

Edited by Pumapayam

"To hunt a species to extinction is not logical."

-Spock

celebrity-pictures-leonard-nimoy-spock-webcam.jpg

At the very least, we should give Kirk and Carol credit for bringing this to our attention, maybe call this new forum rule the "Kirk Bumping Old Carol" Clause. :D

celebrity-pictures-patrick-stewart-kirk.jpg

"It's life Jim, but not as we know it.... not as we know it.... not as we know it."

celebrity-pictures-william-shatner-neutered.jpg

• 2 years later...

I'm sure this has a thread elsewhere on HAIF, but I can't find it right now (please post a link do I can merge if you know where it is).

The official press release finally came in from Hines (always a day after they tip the Chronicle) that the Williams Tower is for sale.

4b918239-ebb7-d69f.jpg

Here's the text:

-----

HINES REIT TO SELL ICONIC WILLIAMS TOWER

(HOUSTON) - Hines, the international real estate firm, announced today that Hines Real Estate Investment Trust, Inc. (Hines REIT) has engaged the Houston office of Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL) to bring the iconic Williams Tower to the market for sale. Originally developed by Hines in 1983 as the tallest skyscraper in the world outside of a CBD at the time of its construction, the tower was acquired by Hines REIT in 2008. The 64-story, 1.4 million-square-foot tower is more than 95 percent leased to tenants including: Williams, Hines, Rowan Companies, Quanta Services and Cadence Bancorp.

"Williams Tower is a special asset to Hines REIT and Hines," said Charles Hazen, CEO of Hines REIT. "Not only is it one of the REIT's most significant investments, it is also the global headquarters for Hines, and we wanted to choose the right firm to help us market the asset. We believe that the time is right to sell this asset and generate returns for our investors, and we selected Jones Lang LaSalle because of its outstanding reputation and access to major investors around the world, who we believe will be attracted to this world-class property. JLL's global capital markets team will include leaders from Houston, the U.S. and international markets."

Designed by renowned architects Philip Johnson and John Burgee, the tower's familiar silhouette on the Houston sky recalls the art deco style. Clad in silver gray reflective glass and anodized aluminum, the sleek tower is accented by columns of bay windows of non-reflective glass and podium setbacks on two lower floors and four higher levels.

Among the tower's distinctions

At 909 feet, it is one of the tallest buildings in the world outside of a CBD

A 7,000-watt, revolving beacon atop the building can be seen for miles around, creating a virtual urban lighthouse

The tower itself has been photographed and featured in publications all over the world

The tower is connected by skywalk to the world-famous Galleria, Houston's popular shopping and tourist destination

Hines REIT is a Houston-based public real estate investment trust sponsored by Hines. Hines REIT currently owns interests in 57 commercial properties, which contain 26.8 million square feet of leasable space. For additional information about Hines REIT, please see www.hinessecurities.com/hines-reit.

Hines is a privately owned real estate firm involved in real estate investment, development and property management worldwide. The firm's historical and current portfolio of projects that are underway, completed, acquired and managed for third parties includes 1,192 properties representing more than 482 million square feet of office, residential, mixed-use, industrial, hotel, medical and sports facilities, as well as large, master-planned communities and land developments. With offices in 110 cities in 18 countries, and controlled assets valued at approximately $22.9 billion, Hines is one of the largest real estate organizations in the world. Hines is also a world leader in sustainable real estate strategies, with extensive experience in LEED, ENERGY STAR®, BREEAM, Haute Qualité Environnementale and DGNB green building rating systems. Visit www.hines.com for more information

Why is Hines selling their Houston skyscrapers? Will they remain HQ'd there?

Oppourtunistic cashing out I'm sure. They bought back a trophy property in 2008 when they had money and nobody else could raise money so prices were low. Now prices (especially in Houston) for trophy properties are sky-high - see the recent purchase of the Shell headquarters by the Duncans. So I think it's a case of monetizing a very nice return.

I think Hines has been headquartered in the Williams tower ever since they built it. And they haven't owned it for most of the time.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...