Market Square Park At 301 Milam St.

TheNiche

Market Square  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Market Square is attractive in its current state?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know
  2. 2. Do you think that it could reasonably be improved upon?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know
  3. 3. If you responded 'Yes' to question #2, how would you improve it?

• Add more trees/shrubs
    • Add more benches
    • Add picnic tables
    • Allow a few concession stands
    • Add a small restaurant with window orders (similar to Champ Burger or Someburger)
    • Add a playground
    • Add a dog trot
    • Add a pond
    • Add one or multiple small fountains
    • Add one central large fountain
    • Other, please explain

• 1 month later...

hmmm...well, they should come back

*Edit* - Wow, looking at that list brings back some memories - Bongo's, Bossa., Kaveh Kane, Saba Blue Water Cafe, Solero,This is It (when it was in Midtown)...wow...

Don't forget the Bank Draft, an honest to goodness brewpub in Downtown (on Prairie). The beer wasn't spectacular, but it was a nice, comfortable spot to grab a pint.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Spent Tuesday night downtown with a buddy. Started at Franklin Tap - then over to OKRA - then to Clutch City Squire and finished off the night with a NYC Slice from Roma's Pizza. Had a great night and all the new spots had customers and were not dead by any means. Talked to one of the owners of Clutch City - the building has a ridiculous history including a "one-way" safe door only opened from the former bank next door.

I will be bringing friends to this area and truly believe it has a ton of potential to put a huge booster shot in DT nightlife. Also, the additional nearby spots that are just empty waiting for something new; I believe could be a huge benefit. Now just pump in one or two residential towers and we would be "cooking with kerosene" !

http://houston.eater.com/archives/2013/03/20/a-look-inside-goro-gun-opening-friday.php

"Started with Original OKRA Charity Saloon and continued with Clutch City City Squire is only building more momentum with Goro & Gun. By the beginning of April, Justin Burrow's Captain Foxheart's Bad News Bar and Spirit Lounge and Latin American restaurant Batanga will open"

• Like 1

Spent Tuesday night downtown with a buddy. Started at Franklin Tap - then over to OKRA - then to Clutch City Squire and finished off the night with a NYC Slice from Roma's Pizza. Had a great night and all the new spots had customers and were not dead by any means. Talked to one of the owners of Clutch City...

Think you mean The Brewery Tap...

How was Roma's by the way?  I haven't had any of their food yet.  And I am planning on checking out Clutch City - what are their prices like?  A few craft beers on tap/bottle?

I like Clutch City Squire. It was pretty dead last Saturday, but the prices seemed reasonable and they did have local crafts on tap. I'm really looking forward to when they open the second floor in a couple weeks.

I hate the name though. It makes it sound like a sports bar, which it really isn't. Plus it's just too long and not terrible memorable.

Edited by Texasota

Looks like les grivals will be replaced by restaurant and coffee shop next door

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2013/03/clumsy_butcher_bobby_heugel_an.php

Man my post was spot on!! Stolen from reddit

The 300-500 block of Main just became... (self.houston)

submitted 3 hours ago by fixedtehknollpost

The densest concentration of bars in the city.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2013/03/clumsy_butcher_bobby_heugel_an.php

http://www.29-95.com/bars-clubs/story/heugel-company-open-tequia-bar-main-st

The surrounding area anyway. At least 15 full bars and a brewpub in less than a two block radius. And there are at least two more coming.

From nearly dead to an entertainment district in under 18 months.

Way to ruin my thunder! JK - in any case I posted from my phone quickly bc I was jacked after my aforementioned great night out in MS - I can't believe what else is in the works!

Sorry for the delayed respones...

Romas was a good slice - $3 quick and easy can't beat it. (Why is there no legit late night spot in Midtown ) Waffle House?

Clutch City's prices were very reasonable - bartender was very chatty "in a good way" owner was talking to us too. Happy Hour 4-9 $5 gets you a TX Draft and a shot of Jameson.

It's not like I need more options I just think there's money to be made - I was in louisville last week and went to a subway at 1 AM - the fact that the subway in the heart of midtown next to shot bar closes at 10pm is the craziest thing to me _ no shit they are missing out on a tens of housansa

Thousands**

Went by the Goro and Gun place last night.  Supposedly official grand opening.  Not sure they'll last long based on what my friend ordered.  Scallop was 10 and ramen was 11.  It was as if the food was more of an experiment vs something that had been thought out carefully.  Part of scallop I tasted was overdone/rubbery and the ramen had too much going on for it to be tasty.  This is definitely only going to be popular with the foodie crowds who all go to the same places.

Lame.

Edited by musicman

I went to Goro and Gun last night and I had the Miso Ramen while a friend had the Tempura Short rib.  I really liked the ramen, it was very good and liked tha the mushrooms were very sweet, though I did think that the miso had a little too much pork flavor.  The rib was excellent.  I will go back to try the scallop and the brussel sprouts.  Oh and the Due Dilligence drink was pretty good

Bad News Bar is a classy space. Slow service so only stayed for 1 drink. Maybe i'll go back on off hours.

Went to the opening of Batanga on Sat night. Not sure that went so well. Walked by Wed night and only 3 people in the place.

• Like 1

Batanga was packed last night. Patio weather helps for sure. That patio is really nice. I still wish they had left at least one of those oak trees though...

I'd rate the place a B. Still working out some kinks but the tapas were pretty solid and the fish tacos were excellent. I'd give it an A but the sangrias were only mediocre. Nice selection of wine, beer, and cocktails though.