Market Square Park At 301 Milam St.

TheNiche

Market Square  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Market Square is attractive in its current state?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know
  2. 2. Do you think that it could reasonably be improved upon?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know
  3. 3. If you responded 'Yes' to question #2, how would you improve it?

• Add more trees/shrubs
    • Add more benches
    • Add picnic tables
    • Allow a few concession stands
    • Add a small restaurant with window orders (similar to Champ Burger or Someburger)
    • Add a playground
    • Add a dog trot
    • Add a pond
    • Add one or multiple small fountains
    • Add one central large fountain
    • Other, please explain

I wish that the Midtown Mgmt Dist could do with the superblock, in Midtown, that the Downtown Mgmt Dist did with Market Square. It's such a huge improvement.

Unfortunately the Superblock, unlike Market Square, is privately owned.

It would have been a great asset to Midtown, if it had been purchased by the city and developed into a park twenty years ago. Unless a very rich generous person steps forward, the cost of the land is prohibitive now.

Isn't part of the superblock owned by the city to build a new firehouse or something?

You're right - the northern portion of the Superblock is reserved for the Houston Fire Museum.

So far as I know, the remainder is still privately owned, and probably scheduled for development. Would have made a dandy park.

You're right - the northern portion of the Superblock is reserved for the Houston Fire Museum.

So far as I know, the remainder is still privately owned, and probably scheduled for development. Would have made a dandy park.

Two things. (1) The Fire Museum is a private organization, so any land they own is not owned by the city. (2) The new fire museum location is at Main and Hadley, several blocks north of the superblock that has been discussed in the past as a possible park for midtown (McGowen Green), which runs from Anita up to McGowen. There was a little bit of talk of an even more ambitious (and therefore even more unrealistic, unfortunately) project that would have run up to Hadley and included the fire museum as part of the park. In either form it would be a great addition to Midtown. Would be awesome if they could make it happen.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hmm, what's this now? You're not talking about the planned Beer Garden across the street by La Carafe, are you?

I'm not sure, maybe the worker was confused... I was grubbing there on Saturday and noticed that the were doing work ON the park itself... so I just asked and that is what he told me.

If the beer garden is suppose to be on the empty lot next to La Carafe then this is definitely something different as I understand it.

• 4 weeks later...

They are constructing something near the kiosk. I've heard it will either be storage or restrooms with beer taps on the outside.

On another note, across the street, two new restaurants have opened. They are on either side of Les Givrals and are owned by them. The one on the left is Convey Sushi and the one on the right is ERA, which has salads, soups, sandwiches and personal pizzas, etc. ERA stands for Entertainment Restaurant Air.

I suggest we close the poll and explain that it was done before construction.

As it is now, 2/28/2011, I really like it and do not have any obvious recommendations to improve it. It and Discovery Green really make visiting downtown fun.

Why not create a new poll to gauge how folks like the improvements. What's not to like? It is definitely much better than before.

Edited by Specwriter
  • Like 1

As it is now, 2/28/2011, I really like it and do not have any obvious recommendations to improve it. It and Discovery Green really make visiting downtown fun.

Why not create a new poll to gauge how folks like the improvements. What's not to like? It is definitely much better than before.

Another suggestion. Discovery Green and Market Square Park have both been updated with great success. What downtown public space should be next?

Great idea, linicinco. Baldwin Park perhaps? Settegast? Emanicpation?

There is very little that could be done to Baldwin Park without removing some of the trees and that would be devastating in the least.

I vote for the super block in Midtown or where the old YMCA now sits.

As for the super block, that would be somethin. Great location along the lightrail with a station. That would be a good sized park, and there would be a lot of things you could do with it happy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I am all for the super block in Midtown, that would be awesome. But I hate to drive to go to a park, does anyeone know if you can bring small dogs onto the Metrorail?

I am pretty sure the old downtown Y location will be a building eventually for Chevron, they are busting at the seams already.

• 1 month later...

Maybe it will be the super block??? This is from a March 31, 2011 agenda....

http://www.houstonmi...NDA03.31.11.pdf

"5. Midtown Capital Improvement Program.

a. Bagby Street Reconstruction – Walter P. Moore.

b. Parks and Greenspace – Walter P. Moore.

i. Midtown Park – Design Work Order

ii. SuperBlock Park

(1) Site Analysis/Development Work Order.

(2) Development Agreement with Camden.

c. Gray Street Pedestrian Enhancements – Phase I – Clark Condon Associates.

i. Approve change order for construction materials testing

d. HCC Capital Projects – Pate Engineers.

i. Holman Street – Design Work Order

ii. Alabama Street – Design Work Order

e. FTA Grant – Goodman Corporation"

Edited by DrLan34

Maybe it will be the super block??? This is from a March 31, 2011 agenda....

http://www.houstonmi...NDA03.31.11.pdf

"5. Midtown Capital Improvement Program.

a. Bagby Street Reconstruction – Walter P. Moore.

b. Parks and Greenspace – Walter P. Moore.

i. Midtown Park – Design Work Order

ii. SuperBlock Park

(1) Site Analysis/Development Work Order.

(2) Development Agreement with Camden.

c. Gray Street Pedestrian Enhancements – Phase I – Clark Condon Associates.

i. Approve change order for construction materials testing

d. HCC Capital Projects – Pate Engineers.

i. Holman Street – Design Work Order

ii. Alabama Street – Design Work Order

e. FTA Grant – Goodman Corporation"

Man that would be something if that was true. blush.gif

I highly doubt the park gets developed across from camden Travis. They want to build apartments there with retail on the ground floor. Camden Travis is almost fully leased and they expect to break ground in the fourth quarter.

Really?? That is way better. Do you have anything in black and white that you can show us?

Edited by DrLan34

• 6 months later...

I highly doubt the park gets developed across from camden Travis. They want to build apartments there with retail on the ground floor. Camden Travis is almost fully leased and they expect to break ground in the fourth quarter.

Midtown owns half the superblock and Camden owns the other. Camden builds apartments... Midtown builds parks. A plaza is coming my friend.

• Like 1

Oh, I am all for the super block in Midtown, that would be awesome. But I hate to drive to go to a park, does anyeone know if you can bring small dogs onto the Metrorail?

I am pretty sure the old downtown Y location will be a building eventually for Chevron, they are busting at the seams already.

I think they let guide dogs for the blind on. Just get some dark shades.

• Like 1

A statement about Metro's pet policy can be found http://www.ridemetro.org/Services/Bus.aspx. It reads as follows:

Customers can carry a pet on the bus and the rail as long as it is caged properly. Service animals are allowed to accompany riders with disabilities.

I think they let guide dogs for the blind on. Just get some dark shades.

LOL

I'm not sure a dog that can't climb the steps by itself will be able to pass as a guide dog. :P

• 2 months later...