Market Square Park At 301 Milam St.

TheNiche

Market Square  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Market Square is attractive in its current state?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know
  2. 2. Do you think that it could reasonably be improved upon?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know
  3. 3. If you responded 'Yes' to question #2, how would you improve it?

• Add more trees/shrubs
    • Add more benches
    • Add picnic tables
    • Allow a few concession stands
    • Add a small restaurant with window orders (similar to Champ Burger or Someburger)
    • Add a playground
    • Add a dog trot
    • Add a pond
    • Add one or multiple small fountains
    • Add one central large fountain
    • Other, please explain

Bad News Bar had a decent crowd on Friday night - and the drinks are reasonably priced.  Had lunch at Batanga on Saturday and it had a decent crowd but started to really pack up when we were leaving.  The Patatas Batanga,Duck confit arepas, pork ribs and the empanada de carne were all great.  Really liking this revival.

• Like 1

What did all these bars used to be? 

I'm all for revitalizing areas, but what I'm wondering, did the high rent downtown drive everything else out?

It wasn't high rent, it was low demand. Revitalization is creating sort of a "herd" demand where people can go downtown and hit multiple places.

• 1 month later...

It wasn't high rent, it was low demand. Revitalization is creating sort of a "herd" demand where people can go downtown and hit multiple places.

I agree, I mean a lot of people just recently were counting downtown out. Revitalization doesn't happen in one big shot, it's spread out in phases of supply and demand. This new wave of bars and developments will be more stable now that downtown has regained attention as a spot to go over the past 10 years.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, with Superbowl LI coming in a couple years, I wonder how much more Market Square, and the rest of downtown, will return to glory.  With all the new restaurants & bars, MS got a jump on things.  I hope the rest of DT will now, especially with the plan to have Discovery Green play a signicant role in the now 10 day festivities. 

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/sports/05-22-13-houston-super-bowl-to-include-a-rocket-ship-ride-a-space-needle-and-big-name-concerts/

• 2 months later...

What you'll find on the bill of fare are Fusion Taco food truck favs like quesadillas and signature tacos in addition to hearty sandwiches, big salads and sides. The list that includes tempura rock shrimp tacos with wasabi aioli, watercress and togarashi, Chinese barbecue Berkshire pork tacos with roasted corn salsa, grilled mahi tacos with pineapple salsa and 24-hour beef short rib vindaloo tacos with cucumber relish is dressed up with a Texas Kobe beef burger, panko crusted snapper sandwich, seared tuna kale salad, mulligatawny soup and ginger tres leches.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/food/07-25-13-market-square-parks-new-taco-restaurant-is-more-than-a-food-truck-treat-a-sneak-peek-at-fusion-taco/

• 3 months later...

Okay, Little Dipper (new bar from Poison Girl people) is now open in the former Cava Bistro space (the second one, next door to the former Cielo Mexican Bistro/Pete's Dancing Marlin space). Dean's Credit Clothing has re-opened and has a cocktail list and a good beer list.

In the last year, we've got:

Clutch City Squire

OKRA

Pastry War

Goro & Gun

Little Dipper

Batanga

Fusion Taco

Barnaby's

Brewery Incubator

and Dean's closed and reopened.

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 1

Also: Captain Foxheart's Bad News Bar and Spirit Lounge which is my favorite bar on the block. There's still a few to come: El Big Bad is opening in November, Trigger Happy, a beer bar, is under development and there is an unnamed concept at the northeast corner of the block in a large space.

Also: Captain Foxheart's Bad News Bar and Spirit Lounge which is my favorite bar on the block. There's still a few to come: El Big Bad is opening in November, Trigger Happy, a beer bar, is under development and there is an unnamed concept at the northeast corner of the block in a large space.

is that 300 main, because I noticed a few weeks ago there were some guys  who seemed to be working on that balcony like thing, then not to long after that they papered up the windows

• 3 weeks later...

Not on Market Square but not too far away on Main Street...

Bisnow reports that Prohibition Bar leased 15k SF at the McCrory Building (1008-1010 Prairie, at Main).

Prohibition is closing their Galleria location in order to make the move (http://houston.eater.com/archives/2013/12/05/the-shutter-43.php). As much as I would like to see more restaurants and bars decide to move downtown from elsewhere in Houston, I'm not thrilled about Prohibition. The rule of writing good fiction also applies to bars: "Show, don't tell." Compare Prohibition which "tells" you its concept through 1) its name; 2) having its bartenders and servers in costume; 3) having a picture of Al Capone up to much more tasteful speakeasy-style bars in NYC like PDT and Death & Co. or our best hometown speakeasy-style bar, Captain Foxheart's Bad News Bar & Spirit Lodge

Edited by downtownian

Prohibition is closing their Galleria location in order to make the move (http://houston.eater.com/archives/2013/12/05/the-shutter-43.php). As much as I would like to see more restaurants and bars decide to move downtown from elsewhere in Houston, I'm not thrilled about Prohibition. The rule of writing good fiction also applies to bars: "Show, don't tell." Compare Prohibition which "tells" you its concept through 1) its name; 2) having its bartenders and servers in costume; 3) having a picture of Al Capone up to much more tasteful speakeasy-style bars in NYC like PDT and Death & Co. or our best hometown speakeasy-style bar, Captain Foxheart's Bad News Bar & Spirit Lodge

On the other hand, if they make good drinks I'm delighted to have them fill a long-empty space.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

More details on the coffee shop opening up at 300 Main Street. I'm hopeful this gives downtown more of a neighborhood feel since the only existing coffee shops are Starbucks, Minuti and Ben's Beans. It will be New Orleans style so you can get coffee in the morning, a sandwich in the afternoon and a drink at night.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/02-17-14-downtown-gets-a-new-hip-coffee-shop-is-houston-ready-for-a-new-orleans-style-cafe/

• 1 year later...

elnina999 has added a photo to the pool:

Points of View Sculpture by James Surls in Market Square Park @Travis and Congress

The 25-foot painted steel and wood sculpture Points of View was created for the park in 1991. Previously positioned at the center of the park, it now stands above a gentle water feature at the base of the dining trellis. The walkways at Market Square are paved with masonry salvaged from demolished (and some standing) buildings as a reminder of the neighborhood's history.

Click here to view this photo at the HAIF Photo Pool on Flickr

elnina999 has added a photo to the pool:

Old Market Square Park, Houston

Market Square Park features water fountains in the form of water tables that are like mini-reflecting pools. The stone surfaces feature colored imagery in pleasant hues and evoke associations with French impressionism in themes and style.

Click here to view this photo at the HAIF Photo Pool on Flickr

• 4 years later...

VSoPdOd.jpg

At downtown’s Market Square Park, Mihalic’s more Pop-art like “Meander” hugs the earth with a series of cast-concrete and resin sculptures whose noodly form mimics the meandering shape of nearby Buffalo Bayou.

One of Mihalic’s pieces is bench height, but all three double as play structures for kids who might also be inclined to jump around her rubber lawn of big blue polka dots.

It’s all handmade, says Mihalic, “but the resin is the crown jewel.” Iridescent pigments in the urethane resin shimmer like water, sometimes looking frozen. At night, lights inside the structures amp up the effects. Some of the lines carved into the resin are based on the outline of Houston’s original City Hall, which long ago occupied this plot of land.

Mihalic chose the material for its light-capturing qualities, its color stability and its durability. “It’s actually harder than the concrete,” she says, “but it’s a material that hasn’t been used much in public art.”

https://preview.houstonchronicle.com/art-exhibits/new-public-art-in-houston-brings-cheer-to-a-15803408

• Like 2