It's funny. As a non-threatening black male I often get pegged as sary too ... I see it all the time. Women clutch their purses and men look at me warily.

Funny. I am a professional who works everyday (all my adult life), has NEVER been in trouble with the law, has a house in the 'burbs, but I can still be pegged as 'scary' to some.

Well, I was at Mall of the Mainland a few weeks ago, and it felt pretty unsafe...it's mostly the non-race specific, roving gangs of teenagers that freak me out...and I'm a teenager too!

Edited by IronTiger

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, I know the mall gets a bad rap but I went there Sunday on my hunt for a new Macbook. I have to say, I was impressed. No armed gunmen jumped me, I guess the roving heards of pirates and thug must have been sleeping or maybe they're off on Sundays, but no one hijacked me or hit me on the head ...even as I walked around the mall and to my car with about $2k of new Apple goodness.

:lol: I agree. By far, Willowbrook Mall is one of the better malls Houston has to offer. I've been to them all literally... Of course we could use some better retailers...

Okay, I know the mall gets a bad rap but I went there Sunday on my hunt for a new Macbook. I have to say, I was impressed. No armed gunmen jumped me, I guess the roving heards of pirates and thug must have been sleeping or maybe they're off on Sundays, but no one hijacked me or hit me on the head ...even as I walked around the mall and to my car with about $2k of new Apple goodness.

• 4 weeks later...

I was at Willowbrook Mall recently (Sat. 4/4/09) for the first time in several years.

The mall was very busy, lots of shoppers. My family and I spent approx. $150 at J.C. Penny and other stores (including lunch for 3 at food court). Just doing our part to stimulate the local economy. :)

I was happy to see the mall busy. I could tell just by looking there was a high "shopper" count. Not possible for me to say that it was a good day WRT "money" count.

I have lived in in the area long enough that when we were at WM I was thinking:

"That big vacant lot, wasn't there a Lord and Taylor there?"

"That's the Foley*s store area".

"That's the Wards store area".

"That's where Old Navy was located".

"The Disney Store got a remodel".

"That's where Charley's Steakery was".

"And that's where Gloria Jeans Coffee shop was" (pre-Starbucks).

(and on and on ...)

Overall we had a positive experience at WM.

BTW at WM you would have never known there was any kind of recession or economic slowdown going on. To me it looked like "situation normal". :)

-Gary K

Edited by Gary K

I was happy to see the mall busy. I could tell just by looking there was a high "shopper" count. Not possible for me to say that it was a good day WRT "money" count.

BTW at WM you would have never known there was any kind of recession or economic slowdown going on. To me it looked like "situation normal". :)

-Gary K

Overall, the Houston economy is in much, much better shape than the rest of the country. In my business, which deals with the retail and restaurant industries, we're seeing our vendors from around the country all wanting to come work the Houston market for a while. Things are slow everywhere else, but seem to be chugging along here in Texas.

For now at least, Houston is the best place to be!

I was at Willowbrook Mall recently (Sat. 4/4/09) for the first time in several years.

The mall was very busy, lots of shoppers. My family and I spent approx. $150 at J.C. Penny and other stores (including lunch for 3 at food court). Just doing our part to stimulate the local economy. :)

I have lived in in the area long enough that when we were at WM I was thinking:

"That big vacant lot, wasn't there a Lord and Taylor there?"

"That's the Foley*s store area".

"That's the Wards store area".

"That's where Old Navy was located".

"The Disney Store got a remodel".

"That's where Charley's Steakery was".

"And that's where Gloria Jeans Coffee shop was" (pre-Starbucks).

(and on and on ...)

Overall we had a positive experience at WM.

-Gary K

Funny you mention Charley's Steakery...my family owned that location for 8+ years.

Funny you mention Charley's Steakery...my family owned that location for 8+ years.

We (my wife and I) knew the wife and husband team that owned that Charley's. We had eaten there so often over the years that we were "regulars", I think all we had to do was stand in line and the wife (your mother?) would just ring us up "on sight". She was always enjoyable to talk with. Eventually we met the husband. I was employed by Compaq, I believe he had been employed at Compaq.

We loved the "Philly Cheesesteak Combo". The sandwich itself, to this day, was the best I've had. And the fresh potatoe fries were also the best.

When Charley's was there at WM food court, I think we ate there approx. 95% of the time (5% at the other WM FC vendors). We knew and liked the people and the food at Charley's.

The other thing I remember is: Over the years, whether I went to WM in the morning, or late at night, any day of the week, I saw the wife of the team at the register at Charley's. She (or they, the owners) must have spent all of their waking hours there. I mean, that's how we got to know them, they were always there! I suspect this why they were successful with Charley's at WM, they were right-minded business people and invested thier time/money/passion in it.

I hope all is well with them.

-Gary K

Edited by Gary K

We (my wife and I) knew the wife and husband team that owned that Charley's. We had eaten there so often over the years that we were "regulars", I think all we had to do was stand in line and the wife (your mother?) would just ring us up "on sight". She was always enjoyable to talk with. Eventually we met the husband. I was employed by Compaq, I believe he had been employed at Compaq.

We loved the "Philly Cheesesteak Combo". The sandwich itself, to this day, was the best I've had. And the fresh potatoe fries were also the best.

When Charley's was there at WM food court, I think we ate there approx. 95% of the time (5% at the other WM FC vendors). We knew and liked the people and the food at Charley's.

The other thing I remember is: Over the years, whether I went to WM in the morning, or late at night, any day of the week, I saw the wife of the team at the register at Charley's. She (or they, the owners) must have spent all of their waking hours there. I mean, that's how we got to know them, they were always there! I suspect this why they were successful with Charley's at WM, they were right-minded business people and invested thier time/money/passion in it.

I hope all is well with them.

-Gary K

That was my mother behind the register 6 days a week. I used to run the store on Sundays, and helped out other days cooking and prep in the back when I wasn't going to school. She actually worked for Compaq prior to Charley's. My father did work for Compaq for 10+ years before being laid off, then worked at McLeod USA before retiring. Eventually, she was getting tired/burned out from working and decided not to renew the lease and retired. My aunt and uncle had the Charley's in Baybrook mall and closed for the same reason a few years back. I went on to finish 8 years of school to become an Optometrist.

I certainly miss the food, and even though there is a Charley's at the Woodlands Mall, it isn't quite the same. We used a local bread company and toasted our buns on the grill and seasoned things differently.

I don't miss going home smelling like food though. :P

I'm glad you enjoyed the food and service.

I'm glad you enjoyed the food and service.

Andrew,

Thanks for posting that! A P.C.S. (sandwich and fries) at Charley's was something I looked forward to when shopping at WM.

And I agree, Charley's at The Woodlands Mall is "ok", but not the same. Matter of fact I can't find a sandwich as good as I used to get at Charley's WM, and I've spent years looking! :)

Could you PM me with your Optometry location.

Once again best wishes to you and family!

-Gary K

• 5 months later...

New Leadership for Willowbrook Mall...

A Houston native is calling Willowbrook home and bringing new ideas to the table.

Willowbrook’s owner, General Growth Properties has recently replaced former mall manager, Walt Plonski, with new manager Brenda Crawford. Noticed that Bailey, Banks, and Biddle is leaving the mall...

• 7 months later...

I don't know what is going on with GGP's bankruptcy status but someone needs to redevelop that land which was formerly Lord & Taylor... jeez what an eyesore. Such great potential yet no one who can execute.

• 4 months later...

It looks like Willowbrook mall is finally redeveloping that land that used to be Lord & Taylor. There is a sign with renderings of an outdoor plan and a phone number for restaurant leasing information. Does anyone have any more information about this redevelopment?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

"Lavo Collections" is a Boutique with quality but affordable. We carry trendy apparel ... of accessories...Our 2nd location will be open November 2010 in WillowBrook Mall

Lavo currently has a store at the Village Arcade.

Lavo Collections will be in Lucky Brand Jeans' former spot between Arden B and Gymboree.

"The plan is to add 2 free standing restaurants next to a 25,000 home furnishings merchant that I can’t announce yet."

Anyone know of any neat restaurants that you would like to see in the area? I would put out a request a.s.a.p.!!

Here's a few I wouldn't mind seeing if someone wants to put a request out on behalf of my lazy butt:

- Cheesecake Factory

- Houstons

- Rockbottom Brewery

- Escalantes

- Yardhouse

- EZs

- Two Rows

- Houlihans

- Cyclone Anayas

- The Keg

- Grotto

- Mi Concina

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I avoid Willowbrook now. Too much traffic and I always feel like my car will get broken into. I remember a few years back there were gang shootings in the AMC Theater across 249 from the mall area.

Edited by cactusneedle

I avoid the AMC like the plague. I haven't felt safe there in many years. I consider it a dangerous place after 6:00 pm, especially on weekends. Seems like there is a very bad element there once it starts to get dark. That's why they have a police presence close by. They are real good about sneaking their friends in through the side doors and I think there is a lot of suspicious activity going on. I don't allow my daughter to drive to that theater to see movies in the evening hours. I think the bad element comes from the 249 area further in and all the low income apartments behind the Aerodrome Ice Skating Complex. It used to be a really nice place to go see movies back when it was first built. It was safer back then. Seems like the whole area is going downhill. I call it the WillowCrook area now.

Real easy problem.....name another theater to the east of the area? Also, throw in the bus line and the explosion of people all up and down 249 plus improved roads which lead right there, Willowbrook is the social outlet for that area

as what else is there to do?

I used to live right behind the mall..I had no problem there but lack of zoning, congestion, etc. made me think this day was coming

Silverado costs money so they won't attract tons of youth....

Real easy problem.....name another theater to the east of the area? Also, throw in the bus line and the explosion of people all up and down 249 plus improved roads which lead right there, Willowbrook is the social outlet for that area

as what else is there to do?

I used to live right behind the mall..I had no problem there but lack of zoning, congestion, etc. made me think this day was coming

Silverado costs money so they won't attract tons of youth....

Obviously you don't frequent Silverado or you whould know better. Tickets cost the same as AMC, but much nicer and safer environment to see a movie.

because its not on the bus line and the average joe who knows the Willowbrook system will go there instead....We had that on the southside in the 90s named Meyer Park 16....was the hottest concept in the 90s but the theater went down the tubes as newer ones started piling up making Meyer Park obsolete

But then, we had Astroworld also as an outlet....Willowbrook is the Northside Astroworld outlet...

Remember also, when AMC Willowbrook opened also Magic Johnson (a nice theater in my opinion) was in Northline.