I'm sorry, but I am just not seeing what you guys are talking about...I think "pretty rundown" is a very applicable phrase for the shopping centers along 1960 with are getting up there in age now. Yeah, they built apartments and now there is a little more crime and undesirable looking cars in the area, but ghetto??? I don't think so, not even close. My wife and I spend a lot time over there eating at County line, shopping at Willowbrook even with the "newer" clientel. We have even seen movies at the AMC on the other side of 249. I go to REI all the time. We had our baby at Methodist Willowbrook. This area is not as bad as is being described here. I am sorry you had your car vandalized, but those things happen everywhere, at every mall, and it is a petty crime even though I know how violated and angry it makes you feel. And as many times as I have stopped at Willowbrook and run in to make a puchase, our cars have never been vandalized (eknock on wood).

In my opinion, hopefully the Mall will be renovated as it is sorely needed. And hopefully the work to beautify 1960 will trickle down to some of the aging shopping centers to get some facelifts.

I should note that I am only talking about the Willowbrook area, the closer you get to 45, the more and more I agree with most of these comments.

I have the same hopes cnote. But the first step is recognizing there has been a decline in the Willowbrook area. I'm pretty plugged in in our area and I know of very few people who go to the Willowbrook area for anything other than an infrequent run for an absolute necessity. Fifteen years ago, I was in the mall or shopping that area from Toys R Us to the former Oshmans on a weekly basis. Now I take my business to 290/SC Road, or the Galleria. I'd love to get our Willowbrook back to it's former self. But nothing will happen if everyone insists there isn't a problem.

I avoid the Willowbrook area, but not because the area has become ghetto, but because the traffic is horrific.

If anything keeps us out of the area it is the traffic...plus with all the development much closer to us on 290, we may go to Willowbrook less and less, which is the scenario described by Brigantes and Mr. Football...

I'm sorry, but I am just not seeing what you guys are talking about...I think "pretty rundown" is a very applicable phrase for the shopping centers along 1960 with are getting up there in age now. Yeah, they built apartments and now there is a little more crime and undesirable looking cars in the area, but ghetto??? I don't think so, not even close. My wife and I spend a lot time over there eating at County line, shopping at Willowbrook even with the "newer" clientel. We have even seen movies at the AMC on the other side of 249. I go to REI all the time. We had our baby at Methodist Willowbrook. This area is not as bad as is being described here. I am sorry you had your car vandalized, but those things happen everywhere, at every mall, and it is a petty crime even though I know how violated and angry it makes you feel. And as many times as I have stopped at Willowbrook and run in to make a puchase, our cars have never been vandalized (eknock on wood).

In my opinion, hopefully the Mall will be renovated as it is sorely needed. And hopefully the work to beautify 1960 will trickle down to some of the aging shopping centers to get some facelifts.

I should note that I am only talking about the Willowbrook area, the closer you get to 45, the more and more I agree with most of these comments.

Man, from some of these comments you'd swear I lived in a dump in some ghetto in East LA. Honestly, if I was that fearful of an area I wouldn't have bought a house out here.

I guess I have a different level of safety or comfort and while Willowbrook is not my favorite mall (none are really, I am just not a mall person) I am not scared every time I leave my house. In fact, I am one of those people that live closer to 45 off FM 1960 (Ella to be exact).

Not every area of Houston is affluent, scrubbed clean, and with double earners making $70,000+ a year. But that does not mean they are ghetto or places to be fearful of.

Additionally, to make Champions sound like it is in imminent danger of tilting to something undesirable is unfactual, and short sighted.

I'm excited about the green medians project and think some thoughtful organization and/or something like a Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone (TIRZ) would be beneficial. Macrobro is right.

I'll be happy to pull out a demographic map if you like.

NW Harris County Demographics

Notice, they haven't updated the areas in that big block on the south side of 290 from Barker Cypress over to Fry Rd. (ie. Bridgeland/Blackhorse/CC Lakes/Towne Lake, etc). That big area will fill in as red.

Edited by mrfootball

I agree that WILLOWBROOK MALL needs a rennovation. I hope it doesn't look like The Woodlands or First Colony Mall though (an outdoors section). Hopefully someone can come up with some innovative ideas to revive this place ASAP!!! Also definitely some HIGH END retailers needed... I'm tired of having to go to the galleria. Dallas has Northpark Center and the Galleria whereas Houston has just one (the galleria). It's about time we upgrade. :rolleyes:

Ah hyperbole. What would we do without it.

I've personally never said I was afraid to leave my house or that 1960 or Willowbrook is 'ghetto'. But the facts are, whether anyone wants to deal in them or not, crime has increased in the mall area, many commercial areas have been allowed to decline aesthetically and one has to wonder if reinvestment in the area is coming in time to woo customers back and away from newer and better commerce centers. And one has to wonder, does greening up the medians even matter if there are Zone d'Eroticas popping everywhere? It's a mixed bag...and to say the final outcome is not certain is just practical observation.

Man, from some of these comments you'd swear I lived in a dump in some ghetto in East LA. Honestly, if I was that fearful of an area I wouldn't have bought a house out here.

I guess I have a different level of safety or comfort and while Willowbrook is not my favorite mall (none are really, I am just not a mall person) I am not scared every time I leave my house. In fact, I am one of those people that live closer to 45 off FM 1960 (Ella to be exact).

Not every area of Houston is affluent, scrubbed clean, and with double earners making $70,000+ a year. But that does not mean they are ghetto or places to be fearful of.

Additionally, to make Champions sound like it is in imminent danger of tilting to something undesirable is unfactual, and short sighted.

Are you saying I said that?? Because your comments and my quote are pretty much in agreement...

I agree that WILLOWBROOK MALL needs a rennovation. I hope it doesn't look like The Woodlands or First Colony Mall though (an outdoors section). Hopefully someone can come up with some innovative ideas to revive this place ASAP!!! Also definitely some HIGH END retailers needed... I'm tired of having to go to the galleria. Dallas has Northpark Center and the Galleria whereas Houston has just one (the galleria). It's about time we upgrade. :rolleyes:

Agreed, this needs to happen soon. I can't believe Simon (is it Simon???) is not doing more to push for some rejuvination at the mall after the demise of Lord and Taylor...

EDIT::: General Growth not Simon...Do they have much experience with malls???

Edited by cnote

Are you saying I said that?? Because your comments and my quote are pretty much in agreement...

No ... I think you and I are in agreement. I guess it just bites when people downgrade an entire swath of an area or city for whatever reason.

Some folks do it because, well ...they're snobs and can't imagine living anywhere else other than (fill in the blanks). Others do it because they really are scared to step out of their houses or get fearful when they see someone (or many .. too many?) of a different ethnic or racial group.

Some people just like to talk and some people (as I've said in another group) seem to be (or act as) know-it-alls about everything. Everything.

No ... I think you and I are in agreement. I guess it just bites when people downgrade an entire swath of an area or city for whatever reason.

Some folks do it because, well ...they're snobs and can't imagine living anywhere else other than (fill in the blanks). Others do it because they really are scared to step out of their houses or get fearful when they see someone (or many .. too many?) of a different ethnic or racial group.

Some people just like to talk and some people (as I've said in another group) seem to be (or act as) know-it-alls about everything. Everything.

I think you are taking a big leap regarding what people are trying to say on this forum. You infer snobbery or racism based on what? That some people are concerned about the twin facts of increased crime, and commerce centers that have been allowed to age to the point of being eyesores, in specific areas along FM1960?

As I've said, I've lived in this area for 20 years. My eyes and ears don't lie to me.

And since I am new to this forum, I certainly hope you are not referring to me with your derogatory comments about 'know-it-alls'. Personally, I think it's nice to get to know people a little before I consider calling them names.

Edited by brigantes

I think you are taking a big leap regarding what people are trying to say on this forum. You infer snobbery or racism based on what? That some people are concerned about the twin facts of increased crime, and commerce centers that have been allowed to age to the point of being eyesores, in specific areas along FM1960?

As I've said, I've lived in this area for 20 years. My eyes and ears don't lie to me.

And since I am new to this forum, I certainly hope you are not referring to me with your derogatory comments about 'know-it-alls'. Personally, I think it's nice to get to know people a little before I consider calling them names.

Not that I speak for Macbro...but I don't think he was referring specifically to you...there are a lot of people on this forum that try to bash any area other than their own, and a lot of people that hear about one unfortunate crime committed in a generally nice area and espouse a sky is falling mentality about the area turning ghetto. I have only ever lived in one other city (Austin)...but does anyone else have any experience with another place that has more upper-middle class areas afraid of turning bad than Houston...is this unique to Houston because of it's sprawl? I knkow this wasn't around in Austin.

To be honest I wasn't referring to any one person. I wasn't even referring to Willowbrook specifically. I view a lot of these threads and if you were to listen to some of the people that call areas ghetto, trashy, or whatever, you'd really think those areas are on the verge of, or already have become, hopeless, gun-toting, carjacking, crack and meth dealing hives.

To hear some people talk the only livable areas --and by extension, the only worthy areas-- of this great city have price tags in excess of $300,000 (and preferably closer to $500,000) ... get real.

I have the same hopes cnote. But the first step is recognizing there has been a decline in the Willowbrook area. I'm pretty plugged in in our area and I know of very few people who go to the Willowbrook area for anything other than an infrequent run for an absolute necessity. Fifteen years ago, I was in the mall or shopping that area from Toys R Us to the former Oshmans on a weekly basis. Now I take my business to 290/SC Road, or the Galleria. I'd love to get our Willowbrook back to it's former self. But nothing will happen if everyone insists there isn't a problem.

Why would you drive all the way to The Galleria? That's crazy. Willowbrook isn't that bad.

Okay, Dallas' Northpark is just like Houston's Galleria. Dallas' Galleria is no where near the level of Houston's Galleria. Just because it has the same name, doesn't mean anything. You should check the stores. Dallas' Galleria is more comparable to Memorial City Mall.

Dallas Galleria Stores that aren't at Memorial City Mall:

*A/X

*Baccarat

*BCBG

*Betsey Johnson

*Club Monaco

*Gucci

*Harold's

*J.Crew

*Johnston & Murphy

*Juicy Coutoure

*Kate Spade

*Louis Vuitton

*Lululemon

*Nordstrom

*Saks

*Tiffany & co.

*Tourneau

*Versace

*ZARA....just to name a few. Memorial city doesn't even come close...... :rolleyes:

Okay, Dallas' Northpark is just like Houston's Galleria. Dallas' Galleria is no where near the level of Houston's Galleria. Just because it has the same name, doesn't mean anything. You should check the stores. Dallas' Galleria is more comparable to Memorial City Mall.

Also Dallas has Highland Park Village....

So? Memorial City has stores that the Dallas Galleria doesn't. The Woodlands Mall, too. Dallas Galleria is not on Houston Galleria or Northpark's level. I hate when people like to compare the two Galleria's because of the name.

Why would you drive all the way to The Galleria? That's crazy. Willowbrook isn't that bad.

Because, though I live in the suburbs, I do very commonly venture outside the boundaries of the Great Northwest. (Imagine that macbro. :rolleyes: ) My son has private music instruction in the Old Spring Branch area, my husband's business is on Post Oak, we have friends in MidTown, I love everything the Rice U area has to offer, our docs are at the Med Center....so a run to Galleria is no more inconvenient than a run to Willowbrook, and much more preferable.

Not that I speak for Macbro...but I don't think he was referring specifically to you...there are a lot of people on this forum that try to bash any area other than their own, and a lot of people that hear about one unfortunate crime committed in a generally nice area and espouse a sky is falling mentality about the area turning ghetto. I have only ever lived in one other city (Austin)...but does anyone else have any experience with another place that has more upper-middle class areas afraid of turning bad than Houston...is this unique to Houston because of it's sprawl? I knkow this wasn't around in Austin.

Honestly, is there any other place that has the zoning issues (or, more appropriately, lack of zoning issues) of Houston? I don't think it's 'racism' or snobbery that drive these concerns, some of which are admittedly hyped and without substance. Rather, what lies behind this reaction to dilapidation and crime is the fear of losing valuation in what is usually the largest investment most people make...their home. To me, it isn't about living in a big house in a perfect neighborhood or having neighbors who look different from me...I could not care less about that. No, to me, it's about putting money into my home and then losing it.

Edited by brigantes

Honestly, is there any other place that has the zoning issues (or, more appropriately, lack of zoning issues) of Houston? I don't think it's 'racism' or snobbery that drive these concerns, some of which are admittedly hyped and without substance. Rather, what lies behind this reaction to dilapidation and crime is the fear of losing valuation in what is usually the largest investment most people make...their home. To me, it isn't about living in a big house in a perfect neighborhood or having neighbors who look different from me...I could not care less about that. No, to me, it's about putting money into my home and then losing it.

Understandable. We can all attest to the fact that we want our homes to improve in value and the places where we've sunk a portion of our lives, not just in money, to appreciate in value --schools, community, neighborhoods, retail.

i lived in the parking lot of willowbrook mall for 3 years from 2003 to 2006......never felt safer...now I don't know what's out there now but as a single male I never had any problems with crime whatsoever.....

I frequented 249 up-and-down as I passed through acres home on the way from 290 or 610....its how you carry yourself is that image you portray

if your scared...say your scared...

Perhaps you could answer a couple of questions for me. The first is how could zoning, or lack of zoning, even be an issue in Harris County, as counties cannot impose zoning? Secondly, why are you blaming Houston for your suburban Harris County problems, perceived or otherwise?

As for "commerce centers" that have been allowed to age to the point of being eyesores, I am not aware of any zoning ordinances that address this issue. If you could point out a few, it would help.

Perhaps you could answer a couple of questions for me. The first is how could zoning, or lack of zoning, even be an issue in Harris County, as counties cannot impose zoning? Secondly, why are you blaming Houston for your suburban Harris County problems, perceived or otherwise?

As for "commerce centers" that have been allowed to age to the point of being eyesores, I am not aware of any zoning ordinances that address this issue. If you could point out a few, it would help.

Start a new thread.

• 2 weeks later...
Is this just unsubstatiated rumor? I just went to the Apple web site and they only list 2 stores for Houston (Galleria and Memorial).

www.shopwillowbrookmall.com shows the Apple Store as "Opening Soon". Apple just opened a store in the Willowbrook Mall in Troy, NJ. I was worried that people had confused the two malls, so I was glad to see it confirmed online that Apple is coming to "our" Willowbrook.

www.shopwillowbrookmall.com shows the Apple Store as "Opening Soon". Apple just opened a store in the Willowbrook Mall in Troy, NJ. I was worried that people had confused the two malls, so I was glad to see it confirmed online that Apple is coming to "our" Willowbrook.

The sign has been up at their location inside Willowbrook for a while now. They're definitely doing work on the space.

• 2 weeks later...