Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

This conclusively establishes that Fort Worth is the head of the Metroplex. Dallas is merely the nutsack.

Great. now i can't teach my students about northern TX in geography class. Oh well, too bad.

I guess they will just have to learn more about HOUSTON and Austin. Thanks. :P

Dallas is merely the nutsack.

I have suspected this all along. B)

Off subject - but I had a customer DT today. It was around 1PM, and the street level foot trafiic was impressive, people were walking on every block. Ladies were walking out of Macy's and the men clothing store (forgot name) had people walking in and out. The outside sitting eateries were busy. It was good to see.... DT is realy picking up a solid pace, there is a lot more action then many realize what is going on. I am guesing when pictures are posted of DT the pictures have to be taken on the weekend.

But, since it is Dallas, I am sure that nutsack is closely trimmed to make sure the entire Metro seems larger than it actually is...
:lol:

The recent growth in the DT Dallas area is probably just due to prostate enlargement as well.........is there an urban urologist in the house?

2vboaox.jpg

Shot from today. It appeared that several of these trees were being relocated from the west end of the park to the east end. The slab in the picture is near where the trees had been removed.

Shot from today. It appeared that several of these trees were being relocated from the west end of the park to the east end. The slab in the picture is near where the trees had been removed.

Heard on the news last night that Finger donated these trees to the city, so apparently this is where his new tower is going up.

Heard on the news last night that Finger donated these trees to the city, so apparently this is where his new tower is going up.

yep:

Several mature oak trees that were going to be displaced by a new high-rise residential tower downtown are being donated to a city park by developer Marvy Finger of The Finger Cos.

Finger is donating three live oaks and two red oaks to Discovery Green, the 12-acre park being constructed by the Houston Downtown Park Conservancy across from the George R. Brown Convention Center. Discovery Green and Harris County are picking up the tab for relocating the large trees.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...mp;surround=etf

IMHO

- The park is a much needed addition to DT Houston (largely because it's better than the number of parking lots it replaces);

- The name sucks! ;

- It's far from "world class" (whatever your definition of the term);

- It will be underutilized until Houston does something to correct it's woeful residential numbers, downtown (Fingers tower is a start, though);

IMHO

- The park is a much needed addition to DT Houston (largely because it's better than the number of parking lots it replaces);

- The name sucks! ;

- It will be underutilized until Houston does something to correct it's woeful residential numbers, downtown (Fingers tower is a start, though);

Just a bit of vision. That is all i am asking here. If the Houston 2025 vision even meets half of planned amenities and residential space, DT is going to resemble the lake front of Chicago.

Although i, myself, am not fond of the name Discovery Green, at least it isn't Space City Central or Oil Boom National, or some other BS lame name.

BUT, i think the potential is tremendous. This DT park coupled with the Buffalo Bayou improvements, added to the Pavilions project is going to allow for more residents in the DT area. That plus the light rail projects will only make DT more attractive. Look at the plans- the vision is bold and ambitious, and i for one, have hope for the next 10 years. True, we already have Memorial and Hermann parks, but i think this is a chance to create something iconic and then build around it.

Give it time- then, if all goes as planned, maybe Gehry or Calatrava would build some sort of landmark something in the vicinity, and maybe THEN it will become a "world class" park. Keep in mind, Hyde, Gorky and Central parks were once on the drawing boards too. IT TAKES TIME.

Just a bit of vision.

Just a bit.

;)

Edited by marc

IMHO

- The name sucks! ;

Thanks for that insightful bit of ... well, did you have a point?