Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

For the love of god they need to get rid of that cruise ship with its stern and bow cut off that is sitting right next to this new park!

We need a new convention center imo. Honestly I like Orlando's old convention center -- there new one is just WOW, but I would settle for their old one, it still is very nice.

For the love of god they need to get rid of that cruise ship with its stern and bow cut off that is sitting right next to this new park!

We need a new convention center imo. Honestly I like Orlando's old convention center -- there new one is just WOW, but I would settle for their old one, it still is very nice.

Very Calatrava-isk looking. Which, of course, i like. I don't know, i think our convention center harkens back to a time that reminds me of the Lloyd's of London building or the Centre Pompidou etc. Sort of Blade-Runner looking. I wonder how much the remodeling cost would be if its facade got a current makeover? AND, is there really a market for it? I mean, would more people flock to the Convention Center if it had a cool facade? What do you all think?

m.

AND, is there really a market for it? I mean, would more people flock to the Convention Center if it had a cool facade? What do you all think?

m.

No.

Conventions are on the wane to begin with. Available space and nearby hotels are more important than what the center looks like.

And, here is the big one. Orlando's new convention center cost $748 million to build. I can think of no better way to cause a riot than to recommend spending 3/4 of a Billion dollars to redo a convention center that was just expanded 4 years ago.

Also, I don't think it looks that bad, either.

I don't think the tunnel system is going to be expanding for the park, is it?

It would have to go in to 5 Houston Center, which has no underground tunnel access (only skywalks). They would either have to go directly under McKinney street, or cut under the lot where Discovery Tower is to be built and/or the One Park Place construction. Unless those buildings are going to have tunnel provisions, I'd guess that it would not extend that far.

I personally can't wait for Discovery Green. More parking (that's not surface lots), more of the already awesome tunnel system, a new park downtown AND high-rise developments. As soon as Houston Pavillions opens, I'm going to move there and just sell the car!!!

DO IT! When i HAD to move to LA a few years back, i kept my car and was a bit disgruntled with my Valley options. BUT in the last couple of years, North Hollywood, or NOHO (keep the dirty comments to a minimum please >:) ) has become a pedestrian's Mecca. I sold my car in January thanks to the VERY popular and efficient Red and Orange Lines. There are condo highrises, upscale apts. and townhomes, pedestrian friendly Commons areas and quaint cafes opening up all around me for about a 1 mile radius. It is awesome! When i DO move back to my beloved Houston, i have already decided that DT is my next home.

Love what's going on there!

I know DiscoGreen got some ridicule when it was first announced, BUT, with all the developers falling over themselves to build in that area, i think we are going to witness something awesome and inviting in that area in the next few years.

m. B)

Edited by marc

I still don't think you can live downtown without a vehicle! There just isn't any shopping.

For instance, the three nearest grocery stores are Randall's (which I stopped going to awhile ago -- this location seems to have very bad produce), Fiesta (I haven't been in there, so not sure about their quality) and Spec's within walking distance. Lately I have been going to Spec's for produce, meats and alcohol, and then to Target off of Sawyer for everything else (which is not in walking distance).

All three of these grocery stores I could see someone not needing a vehicle, but you would have to take the train I would imagine.

I still don't think you can live downtown without a vehicle! There just isn't any shopping.

For instance, the three nearest grocery stores are Randall's (which I stopped going to awhile ago -- this location seems to have very bad produce), Fiesta (I haven't been in there, so not sure about their quality) and Spec's within walking distance. Lately I have been going to Spec's for produce, meats and alcohol, and then to Target off of Sawyer for everything else (which is not in walking distance).

All three of these grocery stores I could see someone not needing a vehicle, but you would have to take the train I would imagine.

Well, you could also take the #3 bus down W. Gray to Kroger, the #82 down Westheimer to the Galleria, and the #25 down Richmond to numerous shopping destinations. For the busphobic, a cab ride is also available. Going without a vehicle in Downtown or Midtown is very doable. With nothing more than a bicycle and a Q Card, one can get anywhere. One must merely accept the fact that it is not as simple, nor as fast as a car. One must believe that the occasional annoyances of being without a car far outweigh the $8,000 to $10,000 annual expense of owning a car. Those who do not like public transit however, will never make it.

EDIT: Oh, I left off the #66 will drop you off in front of the Target at Sawyer Heights.

Edited by RedScare

How is Midtown for shopping? And, i know UT has many things........expensive as they are.........BUT, in route i could shop off of Richmond and Westeimer, right?

m. B)

eh Midtown isn't a big (pedestrian) shopping area right now. I am not sure why Midtown hasn't taken off, its the perfect area to do so. Maybe Greyhound is hampering this area.

If you wanted to live somewhere in the area w/o a vehicle, Id imagine it would be near the galleria. Unless you are wanting to use the bus system, which is slower than using a vehicle.

The problem with the Galleria is the lots are too big and there isn't much of a street grid. All of the retail is in big strip mall type developments with huge parking lots (or a huge indoor mall), and the public transportation is nothing special. I don't exactly consider it pedestrian oriented, nor do I see it becoming pedestrian oriented. It's also a bit isolated from downtown, the museum district, and the medical center.

The Galleria is fine the way it is, but it's really a better fit for somebody with a car (large parking lots, wide streets, and good highway access).

Downtown may be lacking a bit in retail now, but it has good potential for the future (a good street grid, lots of space for new development, light rail, etc). When the Pavillions and One Park Place open up, hopefully we won't say it's lacking retail anymore.

Edited by Jax

You are right somewhat with the Galleria but it isn't that bad (People walk everywhere in Vegas, and they have huge lots). I have a friend who lives in Post Oak Lofts (catty corner from the Galleria) and we walk to the Galleria from time to time (not in the summer though)

All and All Houston really isn't pedestrian friendly -- which is why everyone has cars I would imagine. Does anyone know if they are planning a light rail near the Galleria? And again maybe for the airports?

Edited by Daniepwils

You are right somewhat with the Galleria but it isn't that bad (People walk everywhere in Vegas, and they have huge lots). I have a friend who lives in Post Oak Lofts (catty corner from the Galleria) and we walk to the Galleria from time to time (not in the summer though)

All and All Houston really isn't pedestrian friendly -- which is why everyone has cars I would imagine. Does anyone know if they are planning a light rail near the Galleria? And again maybe for the airports?

The people who walk in Vegas are called tourists.

If we had 90,000 hotel rooms in the Galleria area that were booked up almost every night, we'd see a lot more pedestrians too.

Okay don't laugh! but I was under the assumption that the Galleria was a tourist attraction? I have read somewhere that people come from around the world to shop there (maybe they don't know about Mall of America) -- by no means am I comparing to Vegas though.

Does anyone know how many hotel rooms we have near The Galleria by any chance?

Oh on the tunnel system. No there are no plans to directly link the tunnel to the Park. I don't think they can even do that now, they have already built and are almost finished with the underground parking garage. You could take the tunnel system to the Houston Centers and walk the sky bridges to 5 Houston Center, and walk across the street to the park if you wanted.

Okay don't laugh! but I was under the assumption that the Galleria was a tourist attraction? I have read somewhere that people come from around the world to shop there (maybe they don't know about Mall of America) -- by no means am I comparing to Vegas though.

According to the Uptown District website, more than 7,000

Give it some time... Downtown is changing... it just takes some time.

The galleria itself may not be the sole reason why people come to Houston, but its definitely one of the destinations that people head to. One of the main reasons is that there is an abundance of high end retail in a in a relatively small space. While the Mall of America comparison (along with another mall I can't remember) was mentioned as the largest, I pointed out this little tidbit to them and they agreed. Many husbands winced as they saw their wives eyes light up.

A significant number of Europeans shop at the galleria with gusto considering the exchange rate of the euro to dollar is 2 to 1 and go with the INTENTION of going on a shopping spree while here on business, for friends and family before they go back home. coming with a lightly packed suitcase/luggage is not uncommon as it will be stuffed to bursting along with newly purchased luggage on the way back!

This weekend's convention was a prime example of this. I was (Unfortunately) at the galleria for a good portion of the weekend and rarely have I seen it this packed outside of the holidays.

no, the galleria isn't the sole reason MOST people come to Houston, but its definitely a stop that people hear that it is a must do.

A significant number of Europeans shop at the galleria with gusto considering the exchange rate of the euro to dollar is 2 to 1 and go with the INTENTION of going on a shopping spree while here on business, for friends and family before they go back home.

The exchange rate is currently 1.4 to 1, but your point is taken. I think it's more Latin Americas than euros, though...by a long shot

The Galleria estimates that over 20% of its sales are to Mexican citizens. And when they come to shop, it's the good stuff.

this is the truth.... the mexican nationals especially; they have a lot of expendable income that they are more than happy to part with here in houston, especially on nice clothing.