XiaoLong Dumpling - 1901 Taft St.

hindesky

Formerly Cowboys and Indians is now called Parley Bar and Grill. This will the third restaurant to open at this location. First it was Juanmon's Tortas which I tried once. They used a soft bread for the tortas but I like a French style baguette for my tortas. Then it became Cowboys Indian which I never tried. The new menu looks more upscale type food. Not quite open yet but has a website.

https://parlaybarandgrillhouston.com

Juanmon Tortas.

AnW2uYz.png

Cowboys Indians.

cwcVjGF.png

Parley Bar and Grill.

ucAJjge.jpg

r5ENHZ1.jpg

• Like 6

• The title was changed to Parley Bar and Grill - 1901 Taft St.
  • The title was changed to Par'ley Bar and Grill - 1901 Taft St.
  • The title was changed to Parley Bar and Grill - 1901 Taft St.
  • 2 months later...

General question, but related to this project:  why not replace some of these broken driveways with grass/sidewalks?  Is it primarily a cost consideration?  Or is the concern that if you replace the driveway for this project, you've essentially eliminated the possibility of using this as a drive-through in the future?

I see so many curbcuts/driveways around establishments around town that have not been used for years/decades.  Would seem like a good opportunity to add some green to a lot and/or help with flood mitigation.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Parley Bar And Grill - 1901 Taft St.
  • 10 months later...
14 hours ago, hindesky said:

Finally open for business.

Parlay, the bar & grill at 1901 Taft St, opened last year. However, in the last few months, soul food restaurant Cassie's Kitchen relocated here.

I don't know whether this is operating as a dual concept or not. By that I mean, Cassie's Kitchen is the restaurant portion while Parlay is the bar or lounge. Parlay rebranded their concept, social media, and online listings to Parlay with Cassy's Kitchen.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/30/2023 at 6:15 PM, Texasota said:

How... how big do you think restaurants have to be?

In a car-centric city, big enough to have enough parking and tables to at least pay for overhead, or at a place with a lot of drive-through traffic? Maybe it's bigger inside than I think, though, or I'm underestimating the delivery market these days.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, clutchcity94 said:

Sichuan cuisine is SO overdone in Montrose. Give me a casual Indian spot instead!

Cowboys and Indians was Indian southern fare mix and it failed here. They moved to lower Heights on Shepherd before Washington Ave. and it seems like it has done well there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

Cowboys and Indians was Indian southern fare mix and it failed here. They moved to lower Heights on Shepherd before Washington Ave. and it seems like it has done well there.

Cowboys & Indians' relocation from 1901 Taft St does not mean it failed there. The restaurant was a popular dining spot prior to it relocating to 519 Shepherd Dr. And it still remains a popular restaurant.

Certainly you're aware there are various reasons a business may decide to relocate. It's not always about a decline in patronage, which was not the case for Cowboys & Indians. As many of us have seen and read via articles, businesses sometimes decide to not renew their lease. Other times, a better space may become available that suits the business (Local Foods relocating from Gables Tanglewood to Post Oak Plaza, plus Street to Kitchen are recent examples of this.) The lists goes on and on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hindesky said:

Temporary banner sign for the upcoming Xiao Long Dumpling - Neighborhood Sichuan Bistro. Which is from Las Vegas.

https://www.xiaolongdumplings.com

That is NOT correct. As previously stated in a post from October, Xiaolong Dumpling / XioaLong Dumpling is a locally-owned restaurant:

👇🏿👇🏿👇🏿👇🏿

On 10/30/2023 at 9:30 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

1901 Taft St is no longer vacant. Xiaolong Dumpling is leasing the space previously occupied by Parlay and Cowboys & Indians. It's a new dining concept from the owner/owners of Pepper Sichuan. 

I go down Taft often and hardly ever saw cars at Cowboys and Indians so in my eyes it failed here and moved to a better location with better traffic which has helped it thrive. More eyes equal better location. As the commercial retail mantra always says, "location, location" it can make or break a business. This was a bad location for them so they moved. I think a little local coffee shop like Mercantile on Stanford and Hawthorne would thrive here.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, hindesky said:

I go down Taft often and hardly ever saw cars at Cowboys and Indians so in my eyes it failed here and moved to a better location with better traffic which has helped it thrive. More eyes equal better location. As the commercial retail mantra always says, "location, location" it can make or break a business. This was a bad location for them so they moved. I think a little local coffee shop like Mercantile on Stanford and Hawthorne would thrive here.

During Cowboys and Indians tenure on Taft, late night diners flocked to the restaurant. Staying open until midnight drew in a lot of night owls.

Also, nowadays, a parking lot isn't always a clear indicator of a business failing or doing well. Many people are choosing to order out and dine at home.

Regardless, your assertion that the restaurant's relocation equates to it failing there, does not make what you wrote factual:

3 hours ago, hindesky said:

Cowboys and Indians was Indian southern fare mix and it failed here.

Again, there are many reasons a business may choose to close or relocate.

On 12/30/2023 at 11:36 PM, hindesky said:

you are right about that! I always LOVED Lil Bigs at the now Burger Joint location...it was always packed!!! them moving was the worst decision they ever made! may they r.i.p. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gene said:

you are right about that! I always LOVED Lil Bigs at the now Burger Joint location...it was always packed!!! them moving was the worst decision they ever made! may they r.i.p. 

wonder if Bryan Caswell ever bounced back?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trymahjong said:

wonder if Bryan Caswell ever bounced back?

"The rumored return of chef Bryan Caswell to the city’s dining scene is now confirmed but the concept may come as a surprise to those who have followed him through his Houston career.

The owners of GAP Concepts, which operates the hot pink XOXO Dining Room in Dallas, announced Tuesday they will open PostScript HTX."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/postscript-htx-opening-houston-18088861.php

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to XiaoLong Dumpling - 1901 Taft St.
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I ordered take-out for dinner last night - ordered egg rolls, hot and sour soup, hot oil dumplings and spicy chicken with fried rice - it was all very good.  The spicy chicken had Szechuan peppercorns which gives you that numb-mouth feeling...I will be going again...I hope they do well

• Like 2