Soundwaves - 3509 Montrose Blvd.

hindesky

7 hours ago, hindesky said:

Montrose needs a nice hotel.

There's La Colombe d'Or across the street, but its units seem to start at ~ $600/night.
Something at a lower price point might be very welcome.
How important is having convenient freeway access to hotels? 

• Like 1

the most horrible memory of the walgreens that was there and the best memories of hanging with chris and bucky who worked at soundwaves...and of course my best friends band's cd release party/events there over the years...

RIP Soundwaves but i guess it was inevitable...

3 hours ago, gene said:

the most horrible memory of the walgreens that was there and the best memories of hanging with chris and bucky who worked at soundwaves...and of course my best friends band's cd release party/events there over the years...

RIP Soundwaves but i guess it was inevitable...

That Walgreen's was one of the few pharmacies in town to stock the medications that fought opportunistic infections brought about by HIV/AIDS.
When they moved to the 'new' store a block away it was known locally as "The Walgreen's that AIDS built".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, hindesky said:

For Sale, could we possibly get a 3rd high rise here? Montrose needs a nice hotel.

uVm7ge9.jpg

Great location. Between the historic districts, non profit land owners, and sites encumbered by leases, there aren't many high rise sites available on Montrose. Even this site is a bit tight, but someone who wants to be here can figure it out. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dbigtex56 said:

That Walgreen's was one of the few pharmacies in town to stock the medications that fought opportunistic infections brought about by HIV/AIDS.
When they moved to the 'new' store a block away it was known locally as "The Walgreen's that AIDS built".

wow that is amazing and had no idea...i wrote you once before about why that walgreens is a bad memory... 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

There's La Colombe d'Or across the street, but its units seem to start at ~ $600/night.
Something at a lower price point might be very welcome.
How important is having convenient freeway access to hotels? 

Wouldn’t this site be considered close the freeway at less than a mile to 59 S?

5 minutes ago, linearmovement said:

Montrose could really use a big chain-affiliated hotel, maybe something like a Marriott Autograph Collection, for weekenders and more scene-savvy business travelers.

I think Moxy is probably a much better fit, at least for north of 59.  South of 59 a nice boutique to compete with the ZaZa and serve Rice would be good.  In fact, it's surprising one hasn't been built.  I realize there's a good deal of room capacity in the Medical Center, but who wants to celebrate, say, a wedding at the Marriott Medical Center?  I'm sure the majority of people staying there are doing so not really out of choice.

There is a Moxy in Minneapolis's Montrose-ish neighborhood:

Hotel in Minneapolis | Moxy Minneapolis Uptown (marriott.com)

• Like 3

23 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

Wouldn’t this site be considered close the freeway at less than a mile to 59 S?

You're correct, it is. 
I don't drive, so I'm not familiar with how people feel about using surface streets to reach freeways in unfamiliar cities.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

You're correct, it is. 
I don't drive, so I'm not familiar with how people feel about using surface streets to reach freeways in unfamiliar cities.

I feel like most people use Google Maps or Waze these days. Heck I use Waze daily even though I know Houston like the back of my hand. Never know when a street/highway is extra backed up, so might as well.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 12:27 PM, dbigtex56 said:

I am rereading this remembering Soundwaves very well, never knew it as a Walgreen’s, but now that you mention it the Walgreen’s where I grew up in The Woodlands (Galveston has Born on the Island, what do all of us approaching 50 year old originals who grew up in The Woodlands call ourselves?! Born in the Forest?) had the exact same metal cladding and paint. 

I remember that Soundwaves was so security intensive, always had to check your bag and exit through the metal detectors, which I guess was pretty standard at the time, even at the mall.

I’m happy to hear the Walgreen’s story, makes the memories more meaningful. As a gay man, I’m very lucky to have been born when I was, even just 5 years prior I know I would’ve had a very different life.

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 4

Man, Soundwaves? Used to go there every week just for the music and the shoes. So where did all the alternative kids go cause Montrose clearly isn't the place anymore. I've been hearing it's more like the east side like closer to Moon Tower Inn and Coral Sword but not sure.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

I am rereading this remembering Soundwaves very well, never knew it as a Walgreen’s, but now that you mention it the Walgreen’s where I grew up in The Woodlands (Galveston has Born on the Island, what do all of us approaching 50 year old originals who grew up in The Woodlands call ourselves?! Born in the Forest?) had the exact same metal cladding and paint. 

I remember that Soundwaves was so security intensive, always had to check your bag and exit through the metal detectors, which I guess was pretty standard at the time, even at the mall.

I’m happy to hear the Walgreen’s story, makes the memories more meaningful. As a gay man, I’m very lucky to have been born when I was, even just 5 years prior I know I would’ve had a very different life.

born and raised in the woodlands! 🌳

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Triton said:

Man, Soundwaves? Used to go there every week just for the music and the shoes. So where did all the alternative kids go cause Montrose clearly isn't the place anymore. I've been hearing it's more like the east side like closer to Moon Tower Inn and Coral Sword but not sure.

8 hours ago, Triton said:

they still go to montrose just more so upper montrose where taxi taxi, brasil, agora and all the other alt shops even the shop next to Milk + Sugar ice cream called TRSTD which is a shoe and clothing store...I guess Cactus off Shepherd is still considered Montrose...

then there is Vinyl Edge music store on 19th in the heights that brings lots of cool factor and people to that part of houston as well. Always loved 19th street btw. 

• The title was changed to Soundwaves - 3509 Montrose Blvd.
  • 2 months later...
On 9/7/2022 at 3:56 PM, gene said:

is it possibly because it has been sold or because Soundwaves is sticking around longer?

It appears to be for sale. I can't imagine that Soundwaves, beloved though they may be, is a business that would have the influence to negotiate a binding long-term lease. 
Best-case scenario: it will be sold, and business will continue as usual (unlikely).
Worst-case scenario: The property is sold for land value, the existing building is demolished, and we have another vacant lot in the heart of Montrose until God knows when.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gene said:

haha i know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is crazy to see the old plaza and kroger lot just sitting there empty...i know it takes time to do things but good grief!!!

It’s funny because I have a family member that just moved to Houston from out of state. He’s house hunting within the loop. I tried to sell him on Montrose (my top choice), but it’s hard to get him excited about it when it currently looks so blah. He decided to buy elsewhere.

Edited by clutchcity94
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/18/2022 at 4:04 PM, hindesky said:

For Sale, could we possibly get a 3rd high rise here? Montrose needs a nice hotel.

uVm7ge9.jpg

On 9/6/2022 at 5:36 PM, hindesky said:

No Longer Listed on Loopnet.

02fLSef.png

Soundwaves Realty still owns the former Soundwaves site at 3509 Montrose Blvd. However, the owners are looking to lease the property.

According to recent leasing listings, the building is available for lease. It's also available as a ground lease site.

Details from the listing:

• 11,243 square-foot building on a 0.6-acre lot
  • 31 parking spaces
  • Can lease building or ground lease site

https://www.colliers.com/en/properties/for-lease-i-26210-sf-06-ac/usa-3509-montrose-blvd-houston-tx-77006-usa/usa1127320

https://colliershouston.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/property/Flyer_3509MontroseBlvd_1127320.pdf

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3509-Montrose-Blvd-Houston-TX/29512654/

https://www.crexi.com/lease/properties/697464/texas-for-lease-i-26210-sf-06-ac

eMjLDCV.jpg

MmxtA5D.jpg

Ffybro7.jpg

3sVQ0Jf.jpg