Stucco Townhomes - 612 W. Pierce St., 1413-1415 Stanford St.

hindesky

I often ride down Stanford as my last leg going home and have passed these cheap stucco townhomes, I finally turned left on W. Pierce to check out the front and saws these collapsing townhomes right next to them. I don't think anyone ever moved as I think they instantly received water damage to them. They are now falling apart, the roof collapsed on the front portion. I wonder which shitty company built these water traps? In my riding around inside the loop I see hundreds of these cheap townhomes who have seen lots of water damage because of cheap construction and fly by night builders. The townhomes next to the new BBQ place on Leeland have major water damage and are undergoing major repair. DON"T BUY STUCCO TOWHOMES. This is not the climate for stucco. Move to Phoenix, Tuscon or any other desert climate if you want stucco. Brick, Hardie plank, or concrete will last for years.

mrmx0Ox.jpg

0AhkGxj.jpg

ztIa0uw.jpg

FHv9NQx.jpg

BszLcUU.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

The ones on Stanford are actually 1413 and 1415. 1416 is the older home across the street. Properties are owned by a different company than built them, so hopefully there will be some movement to demo and rebuild.

I don't like stucco here at all. Wood, brick, or Hardi.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 612 W. Pierce 1413-1415 Stanford. Stucco Townhomes

Those actually look like there has been some work done on them since I saw them last (a couple months ago).  Channel 13 did a segment about them a coupe months ago

I previously owned a stucco townhome and never had issues in the 15 years I lived in it - all depends on how the stucco was installed/applied - there are people/companies that can do it correctly

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HoustonMidtown said:

I previously owned a stucco townhome and never had issues in the 15 years I lived in it - all depends on how the stucco was installed/applied - there are people/companies that can do it correctly

True, but unfortunately they tend to be outnumbered here by those who can't. The latter view it as a cost-saving measure, rather than something that requires skill and care to deliver a result that will withstand the local climate.

• Like 3

On 3/14/2020 at 7:15 PM, hindesky said:

I often ride down Stanford as my last leg going home and have passed these cheap stucco townhomes, I finally turned left on W. Pierce to check out the front and saws these collapsing townhomes right next to them. I don't think anyone ever moved as I think they instantly received water damage to them. They are now falling apart, the roof collapsed on the front portion. I wonder which shitty company built these water traps? In my riding around inside the loop I see hundreds of these cheap townhomes who have seen lots of water damage because of cheap construction and fly by night builders. The townhomes next to the new BBQ place on Leeland have major water damage and are undergoing major repair. DON"T BUY STUCCO TOWHOMES. This is not the climate for stucco. Move to Phoenix, Tuscon or any other desert climate if you want stucco. Brick, Hardie plank, or concrete will last for years.

mrmx0Ox.jpg

0AhkGxj.jpg

ztIa0uw.jpg

FHv9NQx.jpg

BszLcUU.jpg

Since I know you are on Reddit, you should post this to /r/Houston ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, HoustonMidtown said:

Like these on LaBranch

Yep that's the ones I was referencing.  I took several pictures of those in the Midtown forum More coming to Midtown thread.  I even reported it to 311 several times because I was concerned that they would catch fire and burn adjacent homes.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 9:46 AM, HoustonMidtown said:

Not much change....still very open concept !!

49929786503_d29604c286_k.jpgUntitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr

Like these on LaBranch

49930632812_ad63ab2969_k.jpgUntitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr

Bike past the midtown ones all the time. All the homes there are nice in the area... I would absolutely hate having to see that everytime I got out of my home or looked out the window.

• Like 4

• 10 months later...

So I was riding down Stanford and saw a roll-off trash bin and another around the corner. Talked with a guy about what they were doing and he said they were going to fix them all. Seems hard for me to believe that these can be rehabbed. They have a ton of water damage. I feel sorry for the people that they con into buying these.

k8woKfr.jpg

u58J0Sz.jpg

ue1XtPR.jpg 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, hindesky said:

Seems hard for me to believe that these can be rehabbed. They have a ton of water damage. I feel sorry for the people that they con into buying these.

I've always wondered how the reanimation of these zombie buildings works out. 
The townhomes in the 1700 block of Montrose sat half-completed for many years before someone finally finished them and put them on the market. They're occupied but I'd be interested to know what issues (if any) the owners have encountered.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

I've always wondered how the reanimation of these zombie buildings works out. 
The townhomes in the 1700 block of Montrose sat half-completed for many years before someone finally finished them and put them on the market. They're occupied but I'd be interested to know what issues (if any) the owners have encountered.

I wouldn’t be able to live there even with repairs. 

• 2 weeks later...

I talked with a worker, he said he was exposing the damaged areas and someone else walking by said that a city inspector would determine the work needed to rehab the townhomes if they were repairable. I still don't think they will be able to fix these IMHO. Notice the metal pipe holding up the corner with the most damage. Looks like it could collapse any second.

7bKnTMc.jpg

I wish I was a City of Houston Inspector that wasn't taking money under the table, I would "FAIL" these townhomes so hard they would be torn down. These pics are from the Stanford St side. The pic I took of the northern townhome looks like it's "The Leaning Tower of Pisa". Water rot is beyond repair according to my honest inspector's license.

P4du5hO.jpg

jEv4GJs.jpg

aoekIBw.jpg

L5nIK4Z.jpg

No workers so I could get closer. They have a hole which looks up into the floor above on one of the Stanford St. While I was taking these pics some guy driving by stopped and he said the developer is fighting lawsuits by the investors. Guy claims the developer is trying to save his ass by patching it up and tying it up in the lawsuit. It looks worse when you see it closeup.

pg4iJvO.jpg

6mVQvDU.jpg

ovAxPNF.jpg

4YwKMsz.jpg

oO304xL.jpg

b3sizV9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 8:38 PM, hindesky said:

I'm so glad they put that plastic over it to prevent any further damage.

Someone asked The Furniture Guys how to fix damaged particle board. 
They replied "You don't. It's like trying to fix a piece of broken toast."
When is the developer going to realize that these buildings are toast?

• 1 month later...

Once they've completed putting lipstick on this piggy and take it to market, will the sellers be required to disclose the extent of the repairs needed to get an occupancy permit?
Or will it be as if those years spent open to the elements never happened?

• Like 1