Warehouse District: Mixed-Use By Urban Genesis

Urbannizer

Coincidentally, another guy who owned several buildings in the same area (and a friend of mine) just passed away last month: H. Milton Howe.

Milton bought a couple of those old, empty warehouses, and tried to create a movie studio business. He made one into a sound stage. He really pushed to develop the arts potential of this area. We called it the Warehouse DIstrict back then.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

13 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

Is or was there a warehouse/loft building called the Pierce building in that area?
I remember going there for a 1983 New Year's party.

I don't remember that specific name, but there's a lot I don't remember from back then 🙃. I know Milton would rent out his movie studio for events. People had parties there, photo shoots, modeling events, anything to create a revenue stream.

The Last Concert Cafe is right across the street, also. A few of those stories I do remember... 😇 🙈

• Like 4

I didn't see any reference above to the Downtown District plan for this area (Warehouse District Vision Plan)

http://www.downtowndistrict.org/programs/planning-capital-projects/

and then scroll down to to PUBLIC WORKSHOP #2 PRESENTATION

Most (all?) of their plan is based on a post North Houston Highway world. The thread's subject property is in the middle of their proposals. There's is even a survey if you want to drop your 2 cents.

I can't get past my overwhelming objections to the highway plan to give their proposals a fair review. But hopefully, you are a better person than I.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Warehouse District: Mixed-Use By Urban Genesis
11 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I really love this. It's about time some attention was given to this part of downtown. Having two residential developments in this area is really going to help drive redevelopment. How does the new canal affect this area? 

Doesn't seem like the canal should affect this particular property at all.

Edited by Houston19514

13 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

Warehouse District Building 1.

NpuOWMc.png

This is the building I owned, that I referenced in my post above. 813 McKee. Sold it in the mid-90s. Last time I drove by, a used office furniture company was there. Looks like I should have held on to it. 😬

Do we know what this is? Maybe I missed it reading this thread. $45MM project!?!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

That warehouse demo is actually a tiny building that has gone through several iterations thru the years. I ride on McKee often because they have a protected bike lane. I believe it was originally was a fleet mechanics building then it became a Punk Club called Houston Underground for a while, it closed and got painted again and became a bar. It's been closed for a while.

BeKE9ke.jpg

d1fnIJX.png

AaPDTBi.png

• Like 2

aw, snap, that's where we did Genitortures one night and Loudness (the Japanese metal band) another night.

A guy I call my puppy dog Jake walked in to the Loudness show, said he heard metal as he was driving by, and figured I would be there...

We also did a Green Jello show there

• Like 2

Back when I was at 813 McKee (literally across the street), we rented that unused land for overflow parking. Something like $200/month. We used to park behind our building, on the vast empty land between us and the bayou. But we lost that land, so we struck a deal with whoever owned 850 McKee at the time to use it for employee parking.

Originally, the land between our building and the bayou was empty. We used it for parking, and to allow 18 wheelers to move around. Then at some point (my memory fails on what year), Metro bought it for their bus barn. It turned out we only owned something like 100 feet behind our building, all the rest now belonged to Metro, all the way to the bayou. But we thought no one would ever want the land behind us, it was so crappy. So we struck a deal with Metro to let us use a little bit of the northern edge of their land, so trucks could ingress & egress.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, hindesky said:

That warehouse demo is actually a tiny building that has gone through several iterations thru the years. I ride on McKee often because they have a protected bike lane. I believe it was originally was a fleet mechanics building then it became a Punk Club called Houston Underground for a while, it closed and got painted again and became a bar. It's been closed for a while.

BeKE9ke.jpg

d1fnIJX.png

AaPDTBi.png

Here's what it looked like 11 1/2 years ago. Seems longer, actually, but it's dated December 2009.

5676967399_461ff09dbd_o.jpg

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 2

On 4/15/2021 at 4:21 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

This area is about to explode. So happy to see developers not just tear down the charming buildings in this area. The Warehouse District should be a destination for people. 

I think they are already ruining it. They just tore down a building that they can't really replace that well due to the lot size... what in the world can they put there that will have the same patina effect? The area is full of empty lots and they tear down structures still lmao.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, iah77 said:

I think they are already ruining it. They just tore down a building that they can't really replace that well due to the lot size... what in the world can they put there that will have the same patina effect? The area is full of empty lots and they tear down structures still lmao.

Well yeah you can't save every little building. But the overall plan for this area is to reuse many of the old buildings or incorporate them in to part of the design. They haven't done much to say it's ruined. Some of those plots are up for sale.

• Like 2

that building wasn't worth saving.

Here's a pic from the best show they ever had there, Genitortures in Oct 2015. After the show, I was headed towards the stage to grab my stuff when I walked by Gen and the sound guy. She was SCREAMING at him, telling him he sucked, he ruined the show, he should stop trying to be a sound guy and go get a real job.. I was like, wtf... then she saw me, grabbed me, stuck her tongue in my ear and started cooing sweet nothings in my ear, telling me how she loved my work, I made the show worth doing, etc.

We did a photoshoot later, can't post any pics (none are x-rated, but, still, they're not fit for a family friendly forum..lol)

genitortures.jpg

• Like 6

21 hours ago, hindesky said:

Small building between McKee St. and Hardy St is gone. The warehouse just west of this is now surrounded by a fence, except for a small portion on the southwest corner.

My old building 😢😢.

That small portion is actually a separate building, both structurally and (at one time, maybe still) per HCAD. When I owned that warehouse (813 McKee), that small building in the corner was not part of it. It was built/added after the original building (which dates to the 1920s), and stands on its own. I tried more than once to acquire it, but the owner had no interest in selling. Even though it was vacant 90% of the time we were there.

• Like 2

I'm glad that corner building is not included. It is a neat little store, called Black's Bodega, that adds to the character of the area. I'm sure it will benefit greatly from the construction workers for this project and the future influx of residents once the apartments are completed. 

• Like 4

The small structure on the roof is the top of a freight elevator. This thing was huuuuge, probably 20x20, or larger. Another weird factoid: both floors of the brick structure building are wood. Huge beams of wood, maybe 12"x12". They date back to the original construction in the 1920s, when it was built by Houston Sash & Door.

• Like 5