The Plant At Harrisburg: 3401 Harrisburg Blvd.

Hahaha, the article leads with the dream of selling a $2 cup of coffee? That's pretty much a standard fare for drip coffee these days, unless you're talking about convenience store swill, I think that's a bargain price of $1.25 for a big gulp sized cup.

Anyway, glad to see more neat stuff coming to the neighborhood!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

https://houston.novusagenda.com/agendapublic/CoverSheet.aspx?ItemID=16303&MeetingID=353

In December 2017, City Council approved a prior agreement between the Authority and the Developer of similar terms through Ordinance No. 2017-1014; however, the Developer has secured a new tenant partner for the Project and the Developer requested a new closing date for the purchase of the site requiring the execution of a new agreement.

In 1989, the State legislature enacted Chapter 380 of the Texas Local Government Code (“Code”) to create a mechanism that municipalities could use to grant or loan public funds for economic development purposes.  Subsequently, by Ordinance 99-674, the City established the City of Houston Chapter 380 loan/grant program, pursuant to the provisions of Chapter 380 of the Code, and adopted criteria for Chapter 380 assistance to provide the City with an additional tool to encourage development in targeted areas to fulfill a critical need to attract new business growth, commerce and commercial retail to an area resulting in a positive economic impact.

Tax Increment Reinvestment Zones may utilize this program with the establishment of a Chapter 380 Program approved by City Council to use tax increment for projects that align with established economic development goals.  City Council approved the Zone’s Economic Development Program pursuant to Ordinance No. 2017-1013, passed and adopted December 19, 2017.  On March 5, 2019, the boards of directors of both the Authority and the Zone are expected to approve an Agreement with Developer to assist in meeting the economic feasibility of the proposed development and to encourage the $3.7M project to develop in the East End and within the second ward community.  Any economic development agreement for financial incentives pursuant to the Zone’s Economic Development Program shall require approval of the City Council.

The Developer will invest approximately $3,700,000 to rehabilitate two distinct 1940’s-era art deco-influenced buildings, totaling 21,133 square feet of area. (the “Project”). The Project will provide retail, light industrial space for local craftsman and artisans.

The Agreement will provide an incentive payment to the Developer solely from the TIRZ incremental property tax increases from the new improvements that the Developer will construct on the site. The Authority will serve in an administrative capacity and will perform the necessary reviews of the Project and cost, receive funds from the City from the property tax increment and reimburse the Developer per the Agreement terms.

The Authority will make an annual payment of 100% of the tax increment generated from the Project until the earlier of the following occurs: (i) the Maximum Reimbursement is paid or (ii) December 31, 2040 (i.e., the Zone’s termination date), unless the Agreement is terminated earlier in accordance therewith.  Maximum Reimbursement will be $700,000 but not to exceed the total amount of revenue generated by the Project. Reimbursements will begin upon completion of the Project and compliance with the Agreement terms (Reimbursement Date).

• Like 1

Another brief write-up on How to Survive on Land and Sea, from Eater Friday. 

https://houston.eater.com/2019/5/10/18564597/mike-sammons-wine-bar-coming-soon

Looking forward to another bar/food place opening on the Sampson/York corridor, although I am a bit concerned about how well it will do with the New Hope SRO facility right across the street. It might discourage some pedestrian traffic in the immediate area (for the record, the New Hope facility is on my way to the nearby Green Line stop and I walk by here regularly, but am concerned of the effect it may have on others’ willingness to go here). 

Edited by thedistrict84

1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

It is not. Eater took this from Houston Business Journal & paraphrased their ENTIRE report. It's the reason why I didn't post it.

1. Yes, it technically is. It is a short article about the bar published on the Eater website. The fact that they summarized information from another article by another publication or source doesn’t detract from that fact.

2. Not everyone has a Houston Business Journal subscription. I assume your quote from the HBJ article is complete, and thank you for providing that from behind the paywall, but it doesn’t hurt to have additional sources with the same or similar information for people to access.

Edited by thedistrict84
Removed reference to header picture in article.
  • Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 1:22 PM, thedistrict84 said:

Another brief write-up on How to Survive on Land and Sea, from Eater Friday. 

https://houston.eater.com/2019/5/10/18564597/mike-sammons-wine-bar-coming-soon

Looking forward to another bar/food place opening on the Sampson/York corridor, although I am a bit concerned about how well it will do with the New Hope SRO facility right across the street. It might discourage some pedestrian traffic in the immediate area (for the record, the New Hope facility is on my way to the nearby Green Line stop and I walk by here regularly, but am concerned of the effect it may have on others’ willingness to go here). 

I mean VooDoo bar is right down the street and people go there all the time. 

3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I mean VooDoo bar is right down the street and people go there all the time. 

That’s a fair point. I think the crowd at VooDoo skews younger and more blue-collar though, and isn’t as bothered by dealing with quasi-homeless people engaging in loitering and other transient behavior.

Even taking into account Sammons’s intent for it to be more casual than typical wine bars, I still think you’re talking about a different clientele target than VooDoo, Sigma, Moon Tower, etc.

Edited by thedistrict84
Clarification

9 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

That’s a fair point. I think the crowd at VooDoo skews younger and more blue-collar though, and isn’t as bothered by quasi-homeless people engaging in loitering and other transient behavior.

Even taking into account Sammons’s intent for it to be more casual than typical wine bars, I still think you’re talking about a different clientele target than VooDoo, Sigma, Moon Tower, etc.

Are you kidding me? Lol It's like one block away. The homeless walk past VooDoo all the time. Now speaking of Star of Hope, the housing is very strict. My girlfriend worked for Star of Hope for a while and she managed who was allowed housing and who wasn't. There are very strict requirements to live there, so while there may be stragglers here and there, this place is for people who WANT to get back on their feet. 

2 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Are you kidding me? Lol It's like one block away. The homeless walk past VooDoo all the time. Now speaking of Star of Hope, the housing is very strict. My girlfriend worked for Star of Hope for a while and she managed who was allowed housing and who wasn't. There are very strict requirements to live there, so while there may be stragglers here and there, this place is for people who WANT to get back on their feet. 

I meant “isn’t as bothered” as in “they don’t care as much about it.”

No doubt the homeless people and some of the sketchier New Hope SRO residents frequently loiter around VooDoo, I go there maybe once a month and see it firsthand.

But as I said, I’m not personally bothered by it and, due to walking in all corners of this city for years and encountering all types of people, I don’t have trouble interacting with even the most aggressive of transients. But, the typical customer who would be drawn to a wine bar might be more likely to be bothered or annoyed with that situation. 

That’s all I’m saying: the homeless and quasi-transients in the area (due in part to light rail and the New Hope SRO facility) might have a meaningful negative effect on business. I hope that’s not the case, and will definitely go to support it regardless, but until more new residential development occurs in the immediate area to provide a built-in customer base and critical mass of pedestrians to counter the negative effect of higher concentrations of homeless and transients (as is currently happening in the heart of Midtown), it is a real possibility.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

(as is currently happening in the heart of Midtown), it is a real possibility.

Eh, 13 Degrees Celsius seems to be doing just fine. I think you're expecting the customer base to be a lot older, bougier and more conservative than it is likely to be just because it's a wine bar.

33 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Eh, 13 Degrees Celsius seems to be doing just fine. I think you're expecting the customer base to be a lot older, bougier and more conservative than it is likely to be just because it's a wine bar.

That’s kind of my point, 13 Degrees Celsius and other places in that part of Midtown are doing well because there are more new residential developments (MidMain, Camden McGowen Station, etc.) creating a customer base and pedestrian traffic. This in turn disperses the concentration of homeless populations from the immediate area or otherwise reduces the negative effect by the homeless on pedestrians in the area due to higher concentrations of pedestrians walking in the area, using light rail, etc.

But something like New Hope is actually *also* helpful in that regard. 

It's hard for me to see this as an issue, at least at this location. In places near quasi-permanent homeless encampments? Sure. It's been one of the issues with the Pierce Elevated. Not really an issue here.

There's also a decent number of houses within a few blocks, and the townhouses are getting closer every day. 

I'm sure there are people who won't want to go here; I just think that they're not the intended clientele anyway. If this place is close to as good as 13 degrees it will do just fine.

Edited by Texasota

• 1 month later...

Said he's using his own furniture and art for interiors - wants it to feel like a wine house. Will be open by "end of summer for sure". Super stoked about this place. He mentioned that he lives nearby, maybe this will be his next Midtown.

Also, he's opening a handmade pasta restaurant next door, open for lunch (hopefully it succeeds!) - adjacent to How To Survive.

Edited by ljchou
Added info.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Drove by this building today and they are making good progress. New windows have been installed throughout the exterior of the building, and it looks as though the interior has been fully built out and mostly furnished. 

I would be surprised if this wasn’t open by the end of this month.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2019 at 6:27 PM, thedistrict84 said:

Just walked by and there were several cars parked in front and a bunch of people sitting at the bar. Seems like it’s open!

I think the wine bar How to Survive on Land & Sea at The Plant at Harrisburg ( 3401 Harrisburg Blvd ) has been open for a week and half or two weeks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Giant Leap Coffee announced plans to relocate from Headquarters on Canal to The Plant on Harrisburg via an Instragram post and Nextseed campaign; the new space will be larger with more seating and a heavier craft beer focus than their current location. With How to Survive on Land and Sea and the upcoming Night Shift, this segment of Harrisburg is quickly transforming.

https://www.nextseed.com/glc

Edited by linearmovement
Giant Leap *Coffee
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, linearmovement said:

Giant Leap Coffee announced plans to relocate from Headquarters on Canal to The Plant on Harrisburg via an Instragram post and Nextseed campaign; the new space will be larger with more seating and a heavier craft beer focus than their current location. With How to Survive on Land and Sea and the upcoming Night Shift, this segment of Harrisburg is quickly transforming.

https://www.nextseed.com/glc

This is great news as this place is really bringing development further south into the heart of 2ndward.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Micro-grocer going in at The Plant. "Little Red Box". If you live in the neighborhood or frequent the area, Jeff Kaplan posted a survey he's asking those that would patron the store to fill out.

His post:

"Hi all! Will y’all please consider taking a min to fill this survey out? https://forms.gle/ian1LWxUYwQQWdhv6 Little Red Box is a micro-grocer distribution retail concept that will launch in the 2nd Ward at the Plant (Harrisburg and Sampson), we are hoping in the next several weeks.. aiming to provide cleaner food to an under-served community that currently find themselves in “food desert” in the middle of the Covid crisis. By providing grocery delivery and/or nearby grocery pick-up to low-access areas, Little Red Box intends to offer a limited yet highly relevant product assortment, layering in a nudge toward healthfulness (meal planning & recipes), and engaging/empowering individual communities around physical access points. Please take a few minutes to fill out the following survey in order to help us to effectively cultivate your overall future experience and fulfill our community’s specific grocery needs during the Covid crisis and for the future vitality of our neighborhood. Please share with others in our community as well! Stay healthy"

• Like 5