The Plant At Harrisburg: 3401 Harrisburg Blvd.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Andrew Ewert said:

Eh, it may be a little silly but these are definitely the going rates for this type of barber shop these days. I've been to several in the city - Cutthroat, East End, Bison, Argyle - and these prices are pretty standard. It's definitely a luxury.

I've been going to Argyle League for years for the simple reason (besides good haircuts) that they know how to keep a schedule. I know that my appointment will start on time and 45 mins later I'll be on my way.

Edited by linearmovement
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 11:10 AM, mkultra25 said:

I have yet to be convinced that the haircut one gets at a "craft" barbershop justifies the price premium over the haircut one gets at any number of old-school, no-frills barbershops. To each his own.

I work in Greenspoint and go to a barber where only one guy speaks English (not complaining, just pointing it out). They did a really nice high fade and beard trim. I thought I was going to have to shell out +$60.00. Freaking $20.00! I was shocked, but then remembered they had bars on the window, loud Spanish disco music, and not an IPA or cold brew in sight. Kind of miss living closer to Harwin in that respect. Westheimer is littered with good barbers that don't charge gentrification prices.

Anyway, Ambrose Barber on Milby is decent, but prepare to spend 2-3 hours there.

3 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

I work in Greenspoint and go to a barber where only one guy speaks English (not complaining, just pointing it out). They did a really nice high fade and beard trim. I thought I was going to have to shell out +$60.00. Freaking $20.00! I was shocked, but then remembered they had bars on the window, loud Spanish disco music, and not an IPA or cold brew in sight. Kind of miss living closer to Harwin in that respect. Westheimer is littered with good barbers that don't charge gentrification prices.

Anyway, Ambrose Barber on Milby is decent, but prepare to spend 2-3 hours there.

That sounds like the place I took my dad to earlier this year for the first visit he'd had to a barbershop since the pandemic started (not the first haircut, as my wife had cut his hair a couple of times in the interim). On Greens Road in the same strip center as Brown Sugar's BBQ, and the barber on duty there only spoke Spanish. Don't recall if they had bars on the window but they did have loud music and a pool table in the front of the shop. I think for a basic haircut it was around $15 including tip. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mkultra25 said:

That sounds like the place I took my dad to earlier this year for the first visit he'd had to a barbershop since the pandemic started (not the first haircut, as my wife had cut his hair a couple of times in the interim). On Greens Road in the same strip center as Brown Sugar's BBQ, and the barber on duty there only spoke Spanish. Don't recall if they had bars on the window but they did have loud music and a pool table in the front of the shop. I think for a basic haircut it was around $15 including tip. 

I may have to check that place out. I go to 45 Barber Shop next to... not sure, just a bit further down 45. They always play country music after I walk in, and I want to tell them to keep it on the Spanish club music. 

Anyway, I'm surprised we don't have more of these in our hood. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/14/2020 at 11:20 AM, ljchou said:

Micro-grocer going in at The Plant. "Little Red Box". If you live in the neighborhood or frequent the area, Jeff Kaplan posted a survey he's asking those that would patron the store to fill out.

His post:

"Hi all! Will y’all please consider taking a min to fill this survey out? https://forms.gle/ian1LWxUYwQQWdhv6 Little Red Box is a micro-grocer distribution retail concept that will launch in the 2nd Ward at the Plant (Harrisburg and Sampson), we are hoping in the next several weeks.. aiming to provide cleaner food to an under-served community that currently find themselves in “food desert” in the middle of the Covid crisis. By providing grocery delivery and/or nearby grocery pick-up to low-access areas, Little Red Box intends to offer a limited yet highly relevant product assortment, layering in a nudge toward healthfulness (meal planning & recipes), and engaging/empowering individual communities around physical access points. Please take a few minutes to fill out the following survey in order to help us to effectively cultivate your overall future experience and fulfill our community’s specific grocery needs during the Covid crisis and for the future vitality of our neighborhood. Please share with others in our community as well! Stay healthy"

It's only been about 18 months, but guess what? Little Red Box appears to be "opening soon." I took the survey ages ago and just got an e-mail with a link to this today:
https://littleredboxgrocery.com/pages/houston-launch

• Like 3

3 hours ago, samagon said:

my wife's cousin came in for Thanksgiving and he wanted to get a haircut on Friday. he didn't tell us where he went, but he did mention it was only $12. if I weren't bald, that'd probably be my jam.

When I was young, I used to get my hair cut by a "stylist" who worked out of several salons over a period of years before ultimately opening his own shop. Even back then, he wasn't cheap. 

When I hit middle age, I started going to an old-school barber shop that charged less than a third of what the previous guy did.

Since the pandemic started, tonsorial care has transitioned to "slap a #2 guard on the clippers and have my wife run them over my head a few times". At first this was a matter of necessity, but over time I've come to prefer it. Your mileage may vary if short hair isn't your preference.

32 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

When I was young, I used to get my hair cut by a "stylist" who worked out of several salons over a period of years before ultimately opening his own shop. Even back then, he wasn't cheap. 

When I hit middle age, I started going to an old-school barber shop that charged less than a third of what the previous guy did.

Since the pandemic started, tonsorial care has transitioned to "slap a #2 guard on the clippers and have my wife run them over my head a few times". At first this was a matter of necessity, but over time I've come to prefer it. Your mileage may vary if short hair isn't your preference.

where I used to have a really nice mountain of hair on my head, I'm left with an atoll of hair around the perimeter. I found a set of clippers at walmart for $30 many years ago and run that over my head once a month without any guard at all. I haven't seen the inside of a barber shop in well over a decade.

time and money saved for sure. if I did grow hair I would probably see a barber and not do the bald thing, even if only for the benefit of keeping the sun off my head.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Article from the Chronicle about Little Red Box Grocery:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/article/Little-Red-Box-Grocery-fills-fresh-food-need-in-17225532.php

Excerpt:

Passionate about providing healthy food options in an area where transportation might be a barrier and about supporting hyper-local brands that aren’t big enough for a traditional retail setting, founder Samuel Newman brings years of experience at H-E-B. There, he worked on research and customer insights in the chain’s value stores, which serve shoppers who utilize SNAP and WIC.

Little Red Box Grocery offers the same buying assistance, along with modern-day conveniences such as app purchasing and no-fee curbside delivery that Newman says allow shoppers at every income level to make healthy food decisions.

“The demand for good food is there,” he said, in an area that “has been and continues to be a thriving, historic community, yet it also faces lack-of-access issues.”

Local brands on offer include chips, salsas and snacks from Cochinita & Co., Kickin’ Kombucha, Chocolate Wasted Ice Cream, Xela Coffee and Finca Tres Robles produce — “a great way to exhibit the creativity happening in the Second Ward,” Newman said — along with proteins from Brenham’s Whitehurst Farm, produce from Village Farm in Richmond and farm shares from Houston’s Plant It Forward. After browsing, shoppers can use a pass-through to access Cafe Louie, a hip new all-day coffee house and bakery.

• Like 3