Downtown Restaurant And Bar Market

This building has SO much potential for a restaurant/bar.

Personally, I'd love to see a relatively "local" chain move there like a Chuy's, El Tiempo, lil Pappasitos, etc... They'd have the staying power to keep it open for a bit until it gains it's legs but that second floor patio is screaming for a full-service Tex-Mex joint that serves good drinks.

I would definitely venture downtown a few times a year to hit up a place like that just to sit on the patio and spend a few hours getting sloshed.

• 1 month later...

Cool. Also, I walked by the former Cabo's a couple days ago. It appears work is being done inside to prepare for a new occupant. Anyone know anything?

Still for least afaik. Could be they're just knocking out all the internal construction to make it more leaseable.

Cool. Also, I walked by the former Cabo's a couple days ago. It appears work is being done inside to prepare for a new occupant. Anyone know anything?

I just noticed yesterday that they've papered over the windows.

I just noticed yesterday that they've papered over the windows.

I peeked.

JiWcs.jpg

They've ripped out the booths, but not a ton going on. I did notice the For Lease signs are gone, so it could be that something's coming in.

Edited by kylejack

I peeked.

They've ripped out the booths, but not a ton going on. I did notice the For Lease signs are gone, so it could be that something's coming in.

The Cabo comments should probably be moved to the Cabo topic. Anyway, I just walked by (Cabo). Some dudes were walking out the back door. I asked "Who's moving in." One just giggled and said "Nobody". I did not believe him.

Biba's is a Greek - American diner. They were always really popular for breakfast and other American fare. So, I'm assuming they'll have b-fast, burgers, pizza, Greek salad and baklava. They also used to have a pizza place on Memorial. It was across the street from the Biba's One's a Meal that was in the building that was formerly an A-Frame I-Hop. This new location downtown should be really popular with the courthouse set.

• 1 month later...

Interesting idea. Seems that many bars downtown can't manage enough proceeds to keep the doors open, hope they beat the odds.

Clubs fail, but bars seem to be doing okay. Butterfly High was kind of half club half bar. It was replaced by a bar called Sunny's that seems to be doing okay.

Seems like it would be a good publicity stunt to declare that you are a non-profit, pay high enough wages to yourself and employees to make almost no profit and donate what's left to charity. I'm not saying that's what they're doing here but non-profit doesn't mean that no one is profiting.

Seems like it would be a good publicity stunt to declare that you are a non-profit, pay high enough wages to yourself and employees to make almost no profit and donate what's left to charity. I'm not saying that's what they're doing here but non-profit doesn't mean that no one is profiting.

Maybe, but I'm quite sure they'll be transparent about just how much money is donated to each charity at the end of each month. If the prices seem in line with other bars, I'm not really that bothered by this possibility.

It looks like downtown dining's struggles aren't over yet.

On his Facebook page, Samba Grille executive chef David Guerrero announced Friday night that Saturday's service would be the restaurant's last.

"Tomorrow will be our last service at Samba Grille, one door closes, ten will open. I Left my soul, heart and passion in this place. Thanks to everybody who showed me love and support and who believes in this cuisine," he wrote. "We'll be back soon. Salud."

This is a huge loss for downtown and for the Houston dining scene in general — Guerrero's South American steakhouse fare was consistently excellent and unmatched in Houston.

According to rumors, Samba's investors are looking for another location that would offer steadier crowds than the current Bayou Place/theater district spot. Where would you like to see Guerrero and company cooking next?

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/07-21-12-11-01-the-last-dance-samba-grille-to-close-downtown-after-saturday-service/

It's terrible it closed but I mean downtown is becoming a hot be for development. Don't be surprised if something better fills that spot. I was in downtown about two weeks ago and saw a few empty spots where restaurants used to be, and like two days later I read that 4 new restaurants are coming downtown and filling those voids. Barnabys and PepperJacks to name a couple. I used to be very sceptical when something was proposed downtown because I felt it had little chance of surviving, but in the 26yrs I've been alive, I've never seen Houston go through such a rennaissance of new development and better planned infrastructure. This is an exciting time to be from Houston. The attention we've lacked for years nationally is about to explode.

• Like 1