Urbannizer

Development List for Buildings in Houston

^Yes, we're not doing bad - I just wanted a few more projects in and around the downtown area.

Atlanta has a better topography than Houston.  The hills are interesting and add a challenge in developing anything, of course we have the water in Galveston Bay but that area is soo heavily industrialized it has made development there very difficult.  No one wants a view of a petrochemical plant afterall!  But that same industrial base is what makes this the strongest economy in the country.

• Like 1

I guess I'm just bummed that ATL's downtown has a lot more residential than Houston.  Their residential buildings - and a few commercial buildings are more innovative than just about anything we have.  Go click on the map and center around the Downtown area, they have a lot of nice proposals under works.

609 is nice - but I would hardly call it ground breaking (considering Hines did Pennzoil/Transco/Republic Bank).  Hotel Alessandra is nice too.  All the buildings except Chevron in Downtown are spec buildings, so I won't blame oil companies conservative design nature (if they are indeed) on those.

You must be looking at a different development map than I am.  I don't see anything in Atlanta developments on that map that is better than ours and there is a whole lot less of it (including downtown residential) than on the Houston map.

I am the owner / builder of http://devmap.io and I'm really excited to see all of your contributions! Please feel free to give any feedback / suggestions, I want to make devmap.io a really simple, collaborative reference for all things development. Also, if you'd like an easier to remember way to get to Houston's map you can use http://houston.devmap.io.

Well, this woulda been nice to know!!! Greatly appreciate the openness to sharing.  Collaboration is key. HAIF 2017!!! Sorry, I got carried away  :D

Here's a development map for all of Houston. The best thing about it is that anyone can add a project to the map, and it's pretty easy to use. I've added quite a few, hope you guys contribute as well. :)

http://devmap.io/cities/houston/developments

You'll probably want to pin that to your first comment of this thread. It's already starting to get buried!

Based on that development map, there is just no love for the east side!

Atlanta is ahead of Houston in residential downtown.  And some of their proposals are quite nice.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

arche_757 are you adding Midtown Atlanta with Downtown Atlanta...  I can't see much of any new residential in downtown Atlanta except for the skyhouse.

Yeah, I'm including both.  Still, Atlanta has some nice projects.

And remember folks - potential or planned doesn't mean anything until dirt is being moved and a crane is put up.  How often have we seen "potential" buildings not come to fruition in the past?  Very often.

• Like 2

You'll probably want to pin that to your first comment of this thread. It's already starting to get buried!

Based on that development map, there is just no love for the east side!

I may just replace the list with the map, downtown map and relotts images. The list will still be available, you'll just have to go over to SkyscraperPage for it.

Why not have both? I like the list. The map requires clicking on each individually to see them.

• Like 1

Atlanta's midtown and downtown are connected by continuous development, so I think it is fair to compare them to downtown Houston. Looking at the two maps, it looks like downtown Houston and midtown+downtown Atlanta have about the same number of total projects, but Atlanta has much more high rise residential buildings proposed. I think that Uptown and Upper Kirby are the most to blame for downtown lacking in high rise residentials compared to Atlanta. While I might give a slight edge to Atlanta in overall building design, I still think 609 Main is better than anything proposed in Atlanta.

• Like 1

I may just replace the list with the map, downtown map and relotts images. The list will still be available, you'll just have to go over to SkyscraperPage for it.

No! Keep the list!

• Like 1

Atlanta's midtown and downtown are connected by continuous development, so I think it is fair to compare them to downtown Houston. Looking at the two maps, it looks like downtown Houston and midtown+downtown Atlanta have about the same number of total projects, but Atlanta has much more high rise residential buildings proposed. I think that Uptown and Upper Kirby are the most to blame for downtown lacking in high rise residentials compared to Atlanta. While I might give a slight edge to Atlanta in overall building design, I still think 609 Main is better than anything proposed in Atlanta.

Atlanta has an established pattern of residential high rises in Midtown that makes more ambitious development possible. Downtown Houston just got into this with One Park Place. I'm just happy that we have the proposals we do; if we can get those off the ground, the progress will be extraordinary and then we can talk about the next level.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 2

Atlanta is ahead of Houston in residential downtown. And some of their proposals are quite nice. Just my opinion.

What I envy most about those is the concentration of new projects in Midtown. They are really building an urban environment there block by block, while our high rises are scattered between Uptown, Downtown, Upper Kirby, and all over. I still wouldn't trade our downtown and its more big city feel; Midtown Atlanta doesn't synergize with their Downtown, it's too far to walk, and their downtown lacks our mass of buildings and tight street grid.

At the end of 2013, 274 million square feet of office space in Houston Market. 11 million square feet of new office space under construction. (This number seems different from different sources) I would forecast at least another 5 million must be going up this year.

http://www.costar.com/News/Article/Market-Trend-Houstons-Office-Deliveries-Construction-and-Inventory/157185

What year did/does the Exxon sq footage hit? If it's when it's completed, that's 3 million sq ft right there. Downtown will have ~2.5-3 mil sq ft of office u/c with 609 Main, 6HC, capital tower (though I guess that one technically isn't u/c yet), and Hilcorp.

Then aren't there a handful of new towers in the EC? Energy center 3, 4, and 5, energy towers 3 and 4, and at town & country aren't they building one or two high rises?

The new Phillips 66 complex (2 mil sq ft I believe), then the two projects further south around beltway and Richmond.

How many office buildings are going up in Hughes landing? Then there is the research(?) complex across the lake with a handful of new office buildings.

Actually I just reread your comment. Maybe you meant 5 mil of new projects would go up this year, not counting the 5-10 mil sq ft that carry over from last year. In which case I agree. I wonder how much office space was under construction in Houston in the early 80s...

I talked to a friend from Atlanta.  He said nobody wants to live the city.  That is why Atlanta's population is 443,775 number 40 on the populated list.  Everyone else live in the burbs.  Ted Turner wants to move the Braves to Cobb County.  Is there a reason why?

609 Main is 41 floors now? How accurate are the floor counts on these things?

I noticed that too and wondered the same thing.  Is this a new update or have they failed to update it from the original announced height and square footage?  

EDIT:  The previous version of this development map had it listed as 47 stories and 1 Million square feet.  Hines and Colvill websites still say it's 48 stories and 1,000,000 + square feet.  There appears to be a linkage problem that brings up a prior version of Colvill's  609 Main at Texas website.  If you do a Google search for 609 Main, then click on the first result (Colvill's 609 Main website, then click on "Click to Enter".  This takes you to a page that says the building is 41 stories and 815,000 square feet (the old numbers).  But then when you try to click further into the site, it takes you to the updated page saying the building is 48 stories, 1 million square feet.

I suspect someone who updates the downtown development map did a Google search and posted the old numbers based on that initial result.

Edited by Houston19514

I wouldn't be upset if (38) the parking garage across the street from MMP ended up getting canceled.  Why put this directly next to the stadium???

• Like 1

I wouldn't be upset if (38) the parking garage across the street from MMP ended up getting canceled.  Why put this directly next to the stadium???

With so many surface parking lots near MMP being developed (at least 5 blocks by my count), it may be useful for parking during Astros' games. Although it's not like anyone goes to games these days...

• Like 2

If the city was sneaky they would get together with metro and other grps and have huge but cheap parking out of downtown and force people on to the rails to boost ridership.

Makes sense, but I think that location is prime for something that creates street activity. I would take a watering hole

Agreed, they should have built a parking garage over the two narrow parking lots east of minute maid, between the stadium and 59, with skybridge ramps from the garage directly over to the upper decks of the field.

I expect several as of yet unannounced projects to become public in the near future including hotels and multifamily high rises in uptown, a couple office/mixed use projects along the Allen parkway/memorial corridor, a perhaps some additional condo high rises which are picking up serious steam in houston.

• Like 5

Alright that does it, before I was just giddy with excitement but now it's just starting to become a staggering portfolio for this city.

Looks like those demographers got it right, Houston is Americas next great elite city. It's not just the highrises but the city is booming in every way except public transport IMO.

BTW, start expecting more from TMC and other med centers in Houston metro. HBJ has the healthcare boom neck in neck with the energy boom, which speaks for staggering volumes.

Edited by Sellanious Caesar

I expect several as of yet unannounced projects to become public in the near future including hotels and multifamily high rises in uptown, a couple office/mixed use projects along the Allen parkway/memorial corridor, a perhaps some additional condo high rises which are picking up serious steam in houston.

Can you confirm if any high rise condos will be announced for Downtown? I mean, it's great that Uptown is booming, but I would hate to see Downtown get left behind. Downtown is already way behind The Central Business Districts of other comparable cities, like Seattle and Atlanta. I would hate for it to get even farther behind by not building more during these boom years.

• Like 1

Can you confirm if any high rise condos will be announced for Downtown? I mean, it's great that Uptown is booming, but I would hate to see Downtown get left behind. Downtown is already way behind The Central Business Districts of other comparable cities, like Seattle and Atlanta. I would hate for it to get even farther behind by not building more during these boom years.

Huh? Downtown is booming so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

• Like 2

A little help for you.

All of the blue boxes in this picture are residential. All but a couple of them are 20+ stories, and one of the shorter ones takes up three blocks.  As swtsig mentioned, DT is blowing up with active projects right now.

13912898155_4787082091_b.jpg

I am excited to see what else we have in store. I think the buffalo bayou area should rise. I didn't know how or when, but I am now excited to see there may be things in the works.

A birdie has told me something is going in at Memorial Dr. and Logan Ln. The lot was recently cleared.

On a separate note, I've noticed there are quite a few multi-family units going up that aren't being mentioned on HAIF surprisingly. There's one between Detering St. and Memorial Dr. called Park Memorial Apartments. There's also another unit going in at the corner of Sage and Greentree. I'll have to take pictures of them and create threads for them I guess.

• Like 4

I gotta think there is more going up this year than went up last year, even if the things started last year, it LOOKS like more is going up this year than last, I wonder if this will be the best year since say 1985 or 1986 when the last deliveries hit the market before the 35 percent vacancy rates and the empty Phoenix Tower article near Greenway Plaza in the New York Times -  if the metric is total square footage, total commercial construction value, or something along those lines.

Based on all the economic reports I've seen for Houston, they indicate that based on the trend lines the city will peak in construction from late 2014 into somewhere late of 2015. Now of course, trend lines aren't always correct. Price of gas can plummet and skyrocket. The Fed's quantitive easing can have some impact. Quickly rising home prices can put a damper on all the single-family construction. However, single-family construction is well below the historical norm. Annnnnnyway, I think the Houston area can support a couple of more years of good solid construction, but anything after that and you could be dealing with a Spain-type situation of overbuilding... that's well off into the future. 

Chart at historical residential construction:

RICompQ12014.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, I had no idea 2007 was so high up there. Great chart!

It looks like the peaks were 2006.

I didn't realize the decline was that much ahead of the recession

I think the Houston area can support a couple of more years of good solid construction, but anything after that and you could be dealing with a Spain-type situation of overbuilding... that's well off into the future. 

Ha! Funny... and a Houston Chron article comes out about it:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Construction-boom-may-lead-to-lower-rents-5458011.php ($)

From the article:

Based on supply and demand patterns in Houston over the past 20 years, five jobs are needed for every new apartment, Bowden said.

If developers build between 16,000 and 18,000 units this year, that would require at least 80,000 jobs.

Brandt said he has heard job projections in the 70,000 range.

"We probably are going to experience some amount of oversupply," he said.

Again, we are FAR FAR away from any overbuilding at this point. But it's good to know that there are people asking those questions of "Are we overbuilding?" When everyone is thinking that it's a never ending chart upwards, that's when you know you are in a bubble about to pop.

• Like 4

I hate when these experts make projections based on projections. Hee is using unreliable info to make an even more unreliable conclusion.

First that 5 jobs per apartment isnt a stress fast rule. There must be some give and take, then he goes on to say that there is going to be some over building because we need 80k jobs and he HEARD, that we are only projected to get 70k?

What about other variables? What about migration of supercomputers, retirees, people who moved in with family during the recession and looking for a cheap place of their own, student housing, second homes...

Using that 5 jobs rule should be just a guide. It might be a helpful guide but I wouldn't bet much on it. We were still building when we were losing jobs. Looking at projections for one year are as helpful as the projections themself

I think he was just using it as a guide? It's clearly an oversimplification. 

I think he was just using it as a guide? It's clearly an oversimplification.

I am more speaking in general and using this as an example of overusing projections

I hate when these experts make projections based on projections. Hee is using unreliable info to make an even more unreliable conclusion.

First that 5 jobs per apartment isnt a stress fast rule. There must be some give and take, then he goes on to say that there is going to be some over building because we need 80k jobs and he HEARD, that we are only projected to get 70k?

What about other variables? What about migration of supercomputers, retirees, people who moved in with family during the recession and looking for a cheap place of their own, student housing, second homes...

Using that 5 jobs rule should be just a guide. It might be a helpful guide but I wouldn't bet much on it. We were still building when we were losing jobs. Looking at projections for one year are as helpful as the projections themself

I see the point though.  I have read that a large part of the increase in apartment construction - not just in Houston but nationwide - is driven by the wave of retirees wanting smaller quarters more conveniently located.  Owned housing seems to be considered much less of a sure thing financially than it once was.

Ha! Funny... and a Houston Chron article comes out about it:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Construction-boom-may-lead-to-lower-rents-5458011.php ($)

From the article:

Again, we are FAR FAR away from any overbuilding at this point.

I've been reading up on this and you seem to be right.

For the last couple of years Houston has been number one for apartments demand but lagging in apartment construction. It seems the inventory set to be delivered this year won't make a crack in demand.

2015 and 2016 are slated to deliver more hefty numbers of units than 2014, but presently we are far from overbuilding.

It looks like we have been underbuilding for a couple of years which have driven occupancy to 96%. Strong influx of people and healthy job growth hints that this high rate will continue.

On a positive note it seems like 65% of new deliveries are centered around 4 job markets all in the core. 65% of the units are around Downtown, TMC, Greenway and Uptown. So that is a positive for urban growth.

• Like 1

Think we should probably update the development map on the first post and probably should include http://devmap.io/cities/houston/developments since it is getting buried already in this thread.

Edit: Oh and Marriott Marquis should be moved to under construction.

Edited by Triton

Not sure if y'all like these graphs but this shows that the hotel boom we are having here is actually a national trend. 2014 is the best year for hotels since 2000:

HotelsMay92014.jpg

http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2014/05/hotels-on-track-for-strongest-year.html

In other words, high occupancy.. new hotel construction is likely.

Edited by Triton
  • Like 2