GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I'm totally out of the loop out here. The way y'all are talking about the Houston Pavilions it looks like a GO. Is there any development yet? Have they broken ground? Put up fences? Gotten rid of those damn surface lots? Signs? I'm just anxious about all this as most of y'all are. I just want all this to happen already not just this project but BPII, Sakawitz, the Sham, etc.....

All I can do is wait for y'all to post stuff or read it in the Chronicle... Oh well B)

There are a few problems with the Houston Pavilions project. From what I've been told there are many retailers including Virgin that have LOI's for the project. The list is pretty amazing, but none of it will happen unless the developer gets his financing. He's apparently gotten the most difficult loan from a bank overseas and will use that to secure the rest of the loans, but so far he has shown nothing to the city or anyone associated with downtown. The developer is a difficult one to read.

The other problem is the design. Much of the Pavilions is inward facing, meaning the loading docks and utilities are all along the outside facing Dallas. This cuts the pedestrian out of the project unless he/she is walking through the center. In that sense, it is designed like an outdoor mall, paying little attention to the surrounding streets. It negates the urban fabric of downtown any tries to become its own little complex.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled this development could possibly happen. There are a number of exciting tenants waiting to hear the good news about the financing. The fact is, the developer needs to tweak the design or else we'll see another potential Park Shops.

Sounds like Downtown Disney in Orlando. All the stores are facing the main walkway, none face out where the parking lot is, it's the back of all the buildings facing the parking lot, and that's fine for a Disney project in Orlando, but not so much for downtown, you don't want to walk down Dallas St pass the BACKS of all the stores. I still really want this project to happen, just kind of a bummer about the design, I figured there would be stores facing a central area plaze type thing, but then also stores facing the street.

There are a few problems with the Houston Pavilions project. From what I've been told there are many retailers including Virgin that have LOI's for the project. The list is pretty amazing, but none of it will happen unless the developer gets his financing. He's apparently gotten the most difficult loan from a bank overseas and will use that to secure the rest of the loans, but so far he has shown nothing to the city or anyone associated with downtown. The developer is a difficult one to read.

The other problem is the design. Much of the Pavilions is inward facing, meaning the loading docks and utilities are all along the outside facing Dallas. This cuts the pedestrian out of the project unless he/she is walking through the center. In that sense, it is designed like an outdoor mall, paying little attention to the surrounding streets. It negates the urban fabric of downtown any tries to become its own little complex.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled this development could possibly happen. There are a number of exciting tenants waiting to hear the good news about the financing. The fact is, the developer needs to tweak the design or else we'll see another potential Park Shops.

I don't know. Denver Pavilions is the same way but they still have sidewalk entrance to some stores. Pacific Place in Seattle is another example.

I wouldn't put too high of expectations on a Virgin Megastore. Based on current trends in downloading music (and movies), these stores are struggling.

From what I have heard, several real estate people expect that the days are numbered for the exisiting Virgin Megastore in Dallas' successful Mockingbird Station development. Some are already planning for its potential replacement (along with the Tower Records on Lemmon).

I am certainly no expert on the subject, but I don't think the future is in "music" stores. Some kind of revolution will have to happen to make these stores really hot again.

I am certainly no expert on the subject, but I don't think the future is in "music" stores. Some kind of revolution will have to happen to make these stores really hot again.

Very true. Amazon. iPod. Walmart. Demographics. Some large music chains have already filed bankruptcy. There will always be a market for music stores, but it's a shrinking pie.

Talk about an infill development project. I would worry too much about most of the development facing inward. The streets will crowed with people driving there car to park at the place.

(a little sarcasm)

My biggest hope is that the project is sustained once built. Hopefull the Park Shops would elevate themselves after this project is built. The Park Shops facility would be a great commercial center.

I know everything there is to know about Juliet Homes, Roosevelt Mortgage and First Texas Residential.  I am ready to go public. 

Toni Villarreal

Going back to that post earlier from Toni, I bets she is refering to the Tremont Towers, I was reading a post in the Crater Houston Alliance Threads and found this.

http://www.hobb.org/hobbv2/index.php?optio...d=25&Itemid=147

------read below--------

Think you can't afford to live here? Juliet Homes/First Texas Residential and Bernie Kane, "creative accounting superstar," will magically make it appear that your income is double to get you in, even if you have a negative net worth of $18,000. Hey what a great guy. He'll pay your first 6 months of mortgage payments, maybe 2 years of association dues, throw in a washer and dryer. He'll do whatever it takes!

---------------------------

I wonder if she is complaining about them, and yes, SPAMing the boards.

• Like 1

It would be nice if the Houston Pavillions had something like a Target.  I know, I know, not exactly glamour-puss, but it would draw a lot of shoppers, complement the specialty stores like Virgin, and help create a viable downtown retail base.

Yeah man, I'm with you on the Target. If we could just get that, a Stein Mart, and maybe a Weiner's, downtown'll really be hoppin'.

;)